Question Web Novel Word Count?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by demonic king, Apr 11, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demonic king

demonic king New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking of writing a web novel, but was wondering how many words should I write?
    I was thinking of doing cultivation.

2. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't think about the wordcount!
    Write the story and split it up where it makes sense to. Some chapters can be ~1k words other +6k words.

Well that is my advise, but you should do what works for you. Just write the story and you will find out what to do.

Reack and riririn like this.
  3. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to at least surpass 1000 words per chapter.
    If you notice that the action or what happe s in a chapter is enough for a chapter, but the chapter is still quite a bit away from 1000 words, try writing more things into that chapter. Maybe your explanation on one part was not very good and needs to be expanded, or there is no details at one part, where details would be a good thing, etc.
    It is easy to either write too much or too little on some parts of a story, so after writing, read again and think what you would want and need as a reader.

DragonMage18 likes this.
  4. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think 1k words is a good minimum. Your chapters can be way more, but any shorter and it may feel too short.

1k is also the usual standard smallest chapter size for webnovels, at least from the ones I've seen.

5. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Word count, and ending the chapter on cliffhangers are for experts. When writing for the first time, just plan and write well and don't think about others.

6. AncestorRebellion

AncestorRebellion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're thinking about a typical cultivation novel, each chapter is roughly about 1.8k words with some being around 2.5k words. Try to aim for about 1.5k words if you're a beginner otherwise too little content will be covered and chapters will be considered "too short".

Often times not, you want there to be an objective in a chapter - what you want for to happen during the chapter. It's best you try to include 3-4 aspects of what you want to convey during the chapter when you plan and roughly how many words you want to spend on it e.g.
    -Explaining how cultivation works (200-300 words)
    -Protagonist cultivating (400 words)
    etc.

If you'd like your novel to stand out, try to include unique elements instead of blending in the crowd and making a typical cultivation novel; I can assure you that even if your writing skills are top-notch but there are no distinguishable traits that make your novel stand out, your novel won't catch much attention. For example, I don't see many choose to start their protagonist strong from the start or based around living a peaceful life in a cultivation world away from young masters. Typically, it's just a craze fest about the protagonist cultivating... to cultivate more. There is no set goal in mind. More importantly, how do sects earn profit from inviting disciples? Disciples get given resources but where do sects get those resources back and how exactly do they replenish their source of income? Just some random questions that you could maybe answer in your novel

And, if you do manage to start writing, be sure to remember that writing is time-consuming; when I used to write in the past, it took me about 5-6 hours to write 2k words so you should probably stock chapters before rashly releasing them.

Good luck writing your novel!

7. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Write enough words to tell your story.

You can tell a good story in 100 words or less, or you can tell a good story in 100 books full of words. If you force yourself to add words or try to slim it down too much, it might collapse, so use as many as you think you need. And if you're wrong, hopefully people will tell you along the way so you can make changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.