Desolate Era ?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by clisenby, Apr 9, 2021.

1. clisenby

clisenby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the novel does the main character ever grow from looking like a child to at least 16. I was liking the novel bc the mc isn't OP just out of luck he worked at it. I also liked how he had principles but they didn't allow for others to treat him any kind of way. Unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that he's going to stay looking like a child so I had to quit. If I'm wrong then I would be highly grateful bc I like the mc and the novel isn't supposed to have romance.

2. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh he grows up...

And there is romance... Well in Chinese xianxia standards anyway ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. clisenby

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

4. rath_2000

rath_2000 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean by that?

5. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: I would say it's sub-standard...

The story is fine, neat, pretty nice to read... Except the romance. And it's also rather difficult to ignore the romance.
    Because it's essentially one of the driving point on why he's working so hard. "Romance" is strongly entwined with his goal that gets him to the end.
    The story isn't about romance.
    I don't think she's even around for 100 chapters.
    But again, everything's "for her..." =.= I'm just really annoyed at how they forced it in.

My feelings... I rather have a harem read like Warlock of the Magus World than this romance.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  6. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I beg to disagree.

While there’s romance in name, it take only a little part of the novel, and the romance history is pretty good (except the past of FL that was never properly explored).

otaku31 likes this.
  7. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    o_O I remember their [written] development to be minimal, which is why I rather don't understand her impact on him.
    It read like a fairy tale to me, along the lines of "it was fated"/"love at first sight."
    Their mutual appreciation and that one competition(?)

8. clisenby

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, with even Star Ranked Hunter I dropped it because the MC holding on to his dead girlfriend (I think, don't remember) talking to her. That shit just makes you feel terrible for him. I believe that it's likely that the author came up with that so he's not criticized for cock blocking the MC. Instead, of making the audience feel bad for him or say here he goes again talking to his dead girlfriend. Just make him be deceived that causes harm to himself or better yet his foster Father. Hatred and suspicion towards women are better to read about than dependency especially when the audience doesn't even care about this bitch.

9. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    The growing part or romance?

If latter then it's just a relation just cause.. There is no development, nothing that makes one root for it..

c.decora likes this.
  10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no romance in DE. The girls are there for plot, but no actual romance happens

11. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh ?? No you are wrong, Mc marries the women with complicated past, there is another girl but she leaves mc and regrets it. Mc has children and is married, Ending is so satisfying as he revives his wife. Whole point of novel is about reviving his wife.

I think you are talking about different novel not Desolate era

12. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what I mean when I said it only exist as plot device/goal for the mc.

It's almost become a meme at this point. If there's a mother/wife figure in xianxia, 99% of the time they will die/missing/taken by stronger clan in xxx plane for the mc to chase.

13. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance was there but it was not the main point thats it, who reads xianxai for romance anyway??? It would be too boring and silly.

Reviving plot i have seen first time was in DE then issth and many more iet and er gen novels. This is a troupe but desolate era does it better than most by adding another love interest who later regrets leaving mc for power. Mc just abandons her at the end.

You can definitely say it is not focused on romance but You cant say it does not have romance. For xianxia having normal romance does not suit the genre, as whole point of it is being immortal and living thousand years. When you live for that long romance just becomes silly and wierd. People cant even spend a lifetime together with these divorce rate.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  14. GreyPancake

GreyPancake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoever said romance isnt part of the novel or a small part clearly doesnt realise how the story even progress.Why get stronger ? For his wife.Why leave his own realm ? For his wife.Why go through the cultivation levels and take the riskiest route ? For his wife.In the end he gets what he aims for his wife.Novel went to shit for me just because of his wife and the fact if you all realise through out the whole dam story he left his fucking daughter behind.He basically went shit crazy in cultivation the moment she die and just up and abandoned his daughter.First novel where I couldn't stomach reading it again.What a asshole.

Daresan and clisenby like this.
  15. clisenby

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a novel where the MC chases after power to find/save his mother or brother and doesn't have affections or touch anybody? Where he gets companions along the way that's at most a mix of both genders where at most only pine for him because if they made advances they only failed miserably, so due to their reverence for him they quit.