Question What's the Ideal Revenge Ending?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 314196, Mar 16, 2021.

?

What's Your Ideal Revenge Ending?

1. Forgiven and forgotten

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Mercilessly killed

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Torture then death

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. Enslavement

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Torture

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Kill their loved ones in front of them

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  7. Why are most of them so brutal?

18 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. Quickly Killed

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linmeili

linmeili Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer "an eye for an eye" sort of revenge. Not excessive but not too weak either. If they remained unrepentant, give them the same treatment you were given. :coffee:

prettyalpaca likes this.
  2. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're looking for revenge killing and ending.
    Maybe we should watch Game of Thrones:
    There's Sansa and Ramsey (nice try with the dogs)
    Cersei against pretty much every single one of her adversaries (overkill, aside from Olenna Tyrell that is)
    (P.S: Petyr Baelish's death was the best)

3. Hisexcelencybaal

Hisexcelencybaal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of the novel's turn lukewarm for some reason

4. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, since I am not a sociopath with extreme bloodlust, revenge should be Karmic in nature.

Whatever the antagonist did, or tried to do, should determine their punishment.

Though often loss of status and wealth is more damaging to the antagonist's mentality then death, as it destroys their legacy which simple death often does not.

5. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate revenge and things like that as long as it's not that much excessive I'll not make a mountain out of a molehill ....
    Cus most of the time blood shed happens due to vicious cycle of revenge.....

6. Ekisiel

Ekisiel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just think of it this way, every person in your village is massacred, your family gets tortured and killed and your lover gets their limbs torn and eaten while they're alive in front of you while you're tied down and humiliated.

You have two choices:
    - I'll get revenge when I break out of these binds
    - I'll not make a mountain out of a molehill

7. God slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Brotha it's real world ok??? And that kinda thing isn't that much possible(although possible)
    Hm..... As for getting revenge hm..... It depends on situation.... Like say the people killed my family was from another country , their goal was to destroy ours . So I if I wanna take revenge rn who will I take revenge against or how will I??? Will I massacre their whole country for the lives of my family??? Nah bro there's probably would be countless others like me who has suffered due to war.... So sometimes taking revenge isn't possible or at least I'll not take em..... And remember one thing taking revenge isn't good vengeance brings destruction....
    Hm..... Well just see Renegade Immortals Wang Lin he has killed someone's grandchild so that guy wanted to kill him.... But that wasn't possible so he killed his parents.... After getting stronger he then massacred that old guys whole family even who are innocent
    so if you ask me if doing that kind of thing is possible by me I'd say no........

8. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    T̶h̶a̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶H̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶i̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶

Jk

@God slayer

9. Ekisiel

Ekisiel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But it's not though, OP asked for an "ideal" revenge scenario ending, meaning the MC or you or whomever the story follows would already be in the mindset of getting revenge.

Now saying you won't take revenge of any kind, petty as it may be is just too spineless/goody-goody. I'm not saying revenge is good but having no drive to at least get even is just a let down.

10. God slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh if I had to choose one hm..... I'll take revenge against the ones that are specifically responsible for it and not try to extend it to their family.....

11. Keldian

Keldian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I prefer stories where either the revenge taken is petty and mild, or the person in question decides to get away from the bad situation and live their best life. . . or both. It seems healthier than plotting elaborate vengeance, y'know?

12. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, first of all, NEVER forgive and forget.

A lot of Japanese novels use this plot device. Freaking disgusting imo.

I keep forgetting the title, but there's this J novel about a team of girl adventurers. One day, one of the team members ran into murderous bandits and the other girls were like "Oh no, please don't kill them even though they kill other people. Yeah, your father and friends were killed by bandits but so what? Thou shalt not kill blah blah blah"

I dropped that novel and never looked back.

I prefer to see An eye for an eye. People who kill should expect to get killed.

For example, in one Chinese novel, the protagonist's clan was massacred and so, in turn, the protagonist went on to slaughter every single member of his enemy's clan. That's the sort of thing I like to see.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  13. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd prefer to hurt them psychologically than physically fufu. I would hunt their closest ones that's super dear to them and do what they did to me, but worse.

14. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge is a universal theme that can enhance any novel. Especially cultivation, historical or QT novel. So as long as there're an enemy and a hero who has lost something because of them, that novel will be epic. So who cares about how they are going to get their revenge.:blobhero:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  15. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I probably would like the hero killing the villains and at last, showing the hero having a peaceful life at some village, smiling. That would be an ideal ending for all kinds of stories.

16. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    He didn't only kill his parents though, The grandpa killed everyone in his clan from his parents to his uncles and aunts. Aside from the other 2 guys (whose name i have forgotten) everyone in his family was killed. And the worst is that there was an unspoken rule that cultivators wouldn't attack mortals as revenge but the guy went against that, so wang lin was never expecting it. You might call it excessive but it was literally and eye for an eye

17. saribyu

saribyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, torturing is not what I really prefer. I would read it and enjoy reading it for a while, but I would prefer if the protagonist used another method for revenge. For instance, the antagonist underestimates the protagonist because they are from the bottom. But, the protagonist will slowly work their way up to the same level as the antagonist. Then eventually will be on a higher level than the antagonist with overall better powers, wealth, abilities, or achievements. The antagonist would be envious and say "why is that not me?" or "I deserve it better than them" and try to be better than the protagonist but fails :)

18. Meow_su

Meow_su Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Torture to the hell, murder, enslavement, i don't recommend touching their loved one's. Such revenge plots is what i wish and what i get is shitty excuses to forgive and whole novel's theme becomes dull.. Come on, any author give us a good revenge plot that is more gore and enemy tortured to their bones where they regret their whole life. :blobtriumph::blobpopcorn_two:

19. Synthium

Synthium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, it really depends on who's getting revenged upon. If it's a minor character, they probably just get killed within a few chapters. However, if it's a major character, they're usually kept alive because "life is more painful than death."

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally speaking, I kind of hate revenge-driven stories that go like that all the way to the end, so... I think my preferred ending for this kind of story is when the protagonist realizes that revenge will take them nowhere, so they end up giving up on that goal and instead focus on more important things~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.