Games Whose Requirements Surprised You

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Apr 6, 2021.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I've never had anything better than dual-core, so... To me an i5 is an amazing pc regardless of what gen it is! xD
    Oof... Game devs lying on minimum requirements make 0 sense to me... That looks horribly awful...

I mean, geez, at least with Fall Guys I can just blame myself from skipping the system requirements... But when the requirements are false, it's just... Bleh.
    Oooooooh, I totally get the feeling of summer games and winter games! Some games can't be played in the heat of summer to not overheat your thingies! >.<

I do hate the games with old blocky graphics that don't work on budget PCs though... I mean... Just what is it in your game that requires so much processing power!? >.<

I mean, seriously, I can understand needing a lot of RAM in games like Path of Exile because there are tons of things getting processed at any time, but... Unless you are processing an absurd number of projectiles and damage at every single second, I don't see why your game should have any problem running on a potato while your graphics are simple... I mean... Geez, if you can make your game budget-friendly... Make it budget friendly! Nothing should stop you from doing so!!! >.<
    Oooooooooh, I too play tons of games on emulators! They're really wonderful for people that own potatoes!
    *nod nod nod* It definitely has garbage-tier optimization. Nothing else could justify that horrible lag...
    Welcome to the world of poor people, where you never change anything until it breaks~

That said, PS1 games run perfectly fine in this laptop. I did find one PS1 game that lagged in it, but it was like... The one and only PS1 game that lagged in this PC, everything else ran smoothly.

I also ran a fair bit of PS2 and DS games with no real issues. There were some problems with Digimon World 4, but that was basically it though~
    Seems like a pretty good laptop! \(^^)/

Glad it is still up to par after this long~

I mean, I wouldn't even try running Genshin in mine, pretty sure it would crash... Though I honestly never checked the system requirements of Genshin, I'm just super sure it will crash.
    You totally count! xD

mir, SquadCammander354 and Isaac20 like this.
  2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    space bloat is real. Devs used to try to keep the size of their games small so we can fit them into our storage. Now that HDD space is cheap, they just go ham with the bloat. This is still bad because atm the trend is SSD for fast load, but SSDs are prohibitvely expensive past the 1 TB mark. That's pretty much why I have two 1 TB ssds (one of them being the boot drive, the other is priority game drive) and an 8TB HDD (for storage or less priority games). Some games, you don't really need the fast loads, while others would be hell without it.

Ddraig and SquadCammander354 like this.
  3. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    ... I dunno, I mean... What do you need 1TB for anyways?

My current HDD has 261GB free out of 448GB of total space... So like... I'm using only about 180 GB of my pc, and I'm sure I could delete a bunch of stuff if I really needed to... I mean, my gaming folder has 53 GB, and I totally don't need even half of this. I'm pretty sure I could delete like... 40 GB and still play everything I'm currently playing.

My other big folder is my anime folder, which currently contains 65GB... Mostly out of the new digimon anime and an old anime I download some months back and have yet to see... Once I finish watching both, I'll delete them and free a bunch of space as well.

I really don't think I'd have any trouble handling a 256 GB SSD... I'd probably be fine even with a 128 GB one, though I'd probably need to be somewhat careful with how much stuff I store for later... I can't imagine what I could possibly need 10 TB of data for...

Unless of course, you work in an area that demands lots of space, like... I dunno, being an artist or something? I imagine having a bunch of PNG files can stack up data really fast. Not to mention the editing programs and what not, or the 3D files in case you work with making art for games on Maya or whatever... I can imagine those take tons of space.

... But with a computer that isn't consumed mostly by work activities, 1TB seems absolutely unnecessary to me... >.>

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  4. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I regretted having to delete old animes to get newer ones, which is what started my desire for more space. I also had a VN phase for awhile, and those took up quite a lot of space over the years. I haven't increased my collection of those two in awhile, but it still takes up quite a lot of space.

Nowadays, I have maybe 50 games installed? I actively play like 5-10 of them, but I keep thinking I'll eventually get around to the others, and redownloading them is a pain because internet is overpriced and slow here. If I lived in S. Korea with their lightning fast internet, doubt I'd have more than a few games installed at a time.

Wallpaper engine also ends up eating a lot of space because I have a playlist of a few hundred MMDs alongside all the cool, normal, animated wallpapers I've collected. Then there are my adult games... Thanks F95...

It's strange because irl I'm not a packrat, but I have a tendency to collect things via the internet. Maybe it's because there are so many moments when I regret having lost or deleted some content in the past that now I'm a pc packrat.

5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, fair enough... Internet over here is pretty fast and I only need to pay a set amount per month regardless of how much I use it, so I don't particularly care about hoarding anything... I'd do the same that you do if I was in your condition though! >.<

SquadCammander354 and ANonMouse like this.
  6. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    You have the word "fast" on your internet service? :blobsob:

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye!

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  8. Noctis

Noctis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, you can lower the quality but not actually deactivate it

9. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Nowadays, midrange PC can play triple A games with no prob. It only costs around 500 to 800 USD. With the GPU shortage, try to go after RX 5xx series or GTX 16xx series. 8GB of RAM is now the minimal standard for PCs, 4GB is the realm of midrange phones. So don't be surprised when your 7 yo lappy can't run modern games. Tho most laptops have slots at the bottom to upgrade RAM.

10. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time it tends to be either the game requires a lot of pathfinding, O(n^2 or worse) tasks etc / devs being lazy / devs releasing game before it is optimized coz higher ups. For example,
    • Terraria as a game runs amazing even on older pc. It does so because the devs know the limits of their engine and dont go for a full on touhou-esque bosses. You will hardly notice any problems with base Terraria when it comes to speed. On the other hand if you are modding, and considering it is terraria, you probably are gonna be modding - there are two large content mods - Thorium and Calamity. Both play amazing and all but the end game equipment and bosses of Calamity can induce stutter frames and lag on most cheap rigs due to the sheer amount of projectiles flinging around.
    • Rimworld on the other hand dies to pawn count. It is even possible on base rimworld if you go for the not-recommended extra large map size with like 100s of pawn spawning in for a raid. Your pc is gonna be on 1 tps till you deal with the mess. Pawn counts result in n^2 relationships and n runs of pathfinding algos ever single fucking tick. The fact that off map pawns needs to be remembered doesnt help. The issue is so problematic for very old colonies that there are garbage collection mods and stuff.
    Basically while graphics play a huge role when it comes to speed, it is not the only thing that can slow down your game.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    That's only assuming you live in a country with strong currency and without absurd taxes on anything that is tech-related.

A PC with 4GB of RAM costs about 2 months of my income. An 8GB one about 4months, and a 16GB one about 7-10 months.

... Oh, and for the record, a PC with 4GB of RAM still costed about the exact same price as it does today back when I bought my current computer.

Ah, and my phone has 1.5GB of RAM, it's 6 years old atm... You can find an used one for sale for about the same amount of money I make in a month.

... In any case, I'm not particularly surprised that I can't run stuff like Skyrim or whatever, I'm surprised that I can't run Fall Guys... Like... Did you ever see that game? I expected it to be light enough so that even a PS1 could run it or something, the fact that it actually needs a decent hardware to function is honestly unbelievable and definitely a case of faulty optimization.
    Aye aye, it makes sense that having tons of objects can make things hard to run properly if you don't have proper optimization for this...

Which makes stuff like Touhou even more amazing, as any potato can run it and what that game doesn't lack are projectiles~

Ai chan likes this.
  12. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want some really cheap pc

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I want devs to properly optimize their games... >.>