Need a help for describing eyes in writing.

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by duurka, Apr 14, 2021.

1. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I facing a little bit problem on writing my small fiction. No matter how I try I can't describe a type of face and eyes that I know.

This pic is an example: It is something both threatening and gentle at same time.I can't find right word to convert into words, Please help.
    [​IMG]

2. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    danger lurking behind tenderness.

On a side note, thesaurus really helps too.

aintg likes this.
  3. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tnx also what type of eyes it is ? I can't find right one.

4. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean type? Like physical look?

There are almond eyes, doe eyes = usually for large eyes.
    phoenix eyes, crescent eyes = usually for curved eyes or what they call Asian eyes.

5. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So it is phoenix eyes ?

6. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically, yes. But phoenix eyes usually have the connotation of the other person being pretty/good-looking plus the Chinese meaning of being loyal or wise whatsoever. Altho the person in the picture isn't ugly, phoenix eyes doesn't fit.

I'd go for the other more general one `crescent eyes` for this.

7. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Use word in comparison to traditionally beautiful things like flowers stars moon if you want to convey beauty. For example,
    Her eyes draw me in. Sclera that are Darker than the deepest abyss, black as night. At the center were pairs of golden rings that pierces through the veil of truth. Endless and filled with eternity, yet they are also warm and kind as a mother’s embrace.

aintg likes this.
  8. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OOOOh i felt that!
    That was good! DAMN!

9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see neither gentleness nor meanness in there, tbh.
    But, idk, put attention to eyelashes: [redacted] 's eyelashes were long and gently covered [redacted]' s eyes.
    Besides, the mannerisms are pretty impotant: [redacted] stared straight into my eyes, without blinking, for, what seemed like, an eternity. There was a strange intensity to that gaze, despite the seeming effortless of it, which unsettled me greatly.
    Maybe describe other parts of the face working together with the eyes: [redacted] looked at us with a barely noticeable smirk of detached amusement, [redacted]'s face completely relaxed. But, for some reason, the unblinking glare in [redacted]'s eyes seemed a bit gentle, pitying even. [redacted] seemed like a customer in a restaurant, who idly thought of the cow that was slaughtered to make their steak...
    My writing ability is severely limited, so is my ability to read (fictional) people, so that's the best I could describe the lady(?) in the picture

10. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it is lady

11. Neveah

Neveah New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So in regard to eyes, I took a quick look into tvtropes.org to see if anything could help here. You could try looking at:
    • Tsurime Eyes (which are drawn with sharp edges to signify edginess)
    • Tareme Eyes (which are drawn with curvy edges to look cute)
    • Meaningful Look (many examples of people looking at each other for significant reasons)
    • Good Eyes, Evil Eyes (how eyes are drawn to show a character's motives)

As for actually writing descriptions for someone who looks "threatening and gentle", perhaps focus on light hitting the character's face. Maybe there is a focus on the smoothness of the face, to show there are no cracks in the character's façade. Maybe the eyes are sharp, narrowed in singular focus and unwavering. Maybe there is a smirk on the face to signify amusement, to show this character has the control in the room and knows it.

Since I don't know enough details, I am limited in what I can suggest, but I hope this can be a start.

12. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks

13. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this one. It doesn't only describe the physical appearance of the eyes, but also the impression they give.

14. demongordon

demongordon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also look for books and series that you like and see how they describe people faces, eyes, expressions. Most of the time unless you are writting some romance scene, people are fine with having the color and type of feeling the eye is conveying, after all most of the time the look in the eye is used to convey some emotion and less on what they look like. So for in deep description probably look for romance novels. Here are 2 of my favorites fantasy books for exemple.
    "The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things." - Name of the Wind
    "(...)He looked like a proper Therin, though perhaps a bit less olive and ruddy than Jean or Bug; in another light he might have passed for a very tan Vadran. His bright gray eyes alone had any sense of distinction; he was a man the gods might have shaped deliberately to be overlooked." - The lies of locke lamora