Discussion Novel Discord

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Addisonlu, Apr 15, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Addisonlu

Addisonlu Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I was thinking of creating something like Novel Updates, but on Discord, so I wondered if there would be anyone interested in doing it with me.
    If you are interested and have the time, DM me,
    Addison#1873

Dawn3 likes this.
  2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Discord advertisement isn't allowed here, if I remember correctly. And there are already quite a few NUF/NU-based discords here.

TaffyGirl13 and AliceShiki like this.
  3. Addisonlu

Addisonlu Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't an advert; I want to make a discord and see if anyone is interested in doing it with me.
    Yeah, I've also seen some Novel related Discord, but I wanted to see if I could make one too.
    Are you interested?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  4. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless there's going to be something extra/special, I don't really see the point...

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a bit confused. Novel Updates, but in Discord format? ... How would this work, exactly?

6. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    been in a couple novel-related discords...they don't work unless it's about a specific novel. they generally lose their purpose when you get too broad. There are also cases where discord groups become super cult-like like those discords that post translations only if you provide them with ID or credit cards (also anyone who has done so or defend the practice, you are the dumbest person on earth).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Musashi, sjmcc13, AliceShiki and 4 others like this.
  7. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that seriously a real thing? It’s basically asking for identity theft.

What’s even the point, to deny access if they’re Chinese/Korean and therefore potentially from a publisher? As blackmail material if they share the translations? Getting a burner card is trivial regardless, and finding a fake/random person’s ID probably isn’t too difficult. It achieves nothing against anyone with malicious intentions, it only puts the others at risk.

8. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it is unfortunately. A couple of the KR translations that went underground require it. they say it's to confirm that the person isn't a "translator hunter". it's dumb asf. these servers are ran by people with the mentality of a 8-year-old.

sjmcc13 likes this.
  9. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it's real and illegal in my country at least.
    The reasons given are usually either to confirm the applicant's age for NSFW materials or verifying they're not related to any Korean publishers and some other excuses given but it's still the same thing. These translators were on NU too, possibly to get more exposure and potential victims. I don't know about others views on this but giving others your personal information or complying with a demand for any personal identification by someone over the internet that you don't know about and is doing an (illegal) fan translation is just asking for trouble.
    God I hate those defenders. They forgot that they're defending a crime, they forgot that it's illegal to translate without license. Instead, they're putting the criminals on a pedestal and worship them like a saint. Yes they're giving you free translations, doesn't make them the good guy, doesn't make them the victim. I wish these people remember that the one who has their rights violated here are the authors, not the translators.

Musashi, AliceShiki, runsing and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.