Don't understand new PC setup plz help

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Tower:

iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming PC Computer Desktop Trace 4 93G730 (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 240GB SSD, WiFi Ready, Windows 10 Home)

Monitor:

HP 24mh FHD Monitor - Computer Monitor with 23.8-Inch IPS Display (1080p) - Built-In Speakers and VESA Mounting - Height/Tilt Adjustment for Ergonomic Viewing - HDMI and DisplayPort -

Ram:

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 LED Desktop Memory - Black

Background:

This is my first computer since the early 2000s so I have no clue about any of this stuff as you can figure.

Problem:

Everything is hooked up I replaced the Ram with the dual ram for 16gb upgrade plugged everything up and turn on my pc only to find my Monitor not showing PC boot up as expected so I check the video settings and the hdmi cord only to find my monitor saying that there is no input source detected.

I double, triple, quadruple check everything made sure its connected to the graphics card and not the motherboard but still no display.

I plug my monitor up to my 2012 laptop and find that it connected with no additional set up needed.

So i go through the steps again and find that when plugged in to my graphics card the graphics card's fan spins in the beginning but stops after a few seconds. And everythinime I unplug the hdmi cord from the graphics the monitor wakes up for a second (it automatically shuts off after not detecting an input source) so I'm guessing its able to at least detect it.

Idk wtf is going on please help.

P.S.

I also made sure it wasn't a problem with the Ram as I tried to do every step with the default 8gb ram but no viable changes.

I can't see what's wrong as the monitor literally won't display the PC.

I'm guessing its 2 things a faulty graphics card or the monitor isn't compatible.

My bet is on the first one.

2. Trov

Trov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Use the DisplayPort instead of the HDMI as it may be the default detection port for monitors.

Crownking likes this.
  3. Crownking

Crownking King of quark star

Reading List:
    Link
    Check if u r using the GPUs port or not

4. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only guess the GPU is the one hooked up to the motherboard? If so no I'm using the hdmi located on the graphics card itself. I have the case open and can see which one is being used.

I have no idea what a display port is though. Is that the Dvi cable connection?

This graphics card and monitor have 3 types of display type connections. They share 2 of the 3 in common and those are Hdmi and Dvi.

5. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Double check that GPU is fully connected to the Motherboard, since it might have somehow came loose,(But since you did say that it turned on the fans, it is probably already connected properly ) so check if the power cable is properly connected to the GPU.

Edit: HDMI is fine to use, but if you have a DP cable plug that in.
    Edit: The Things that i can think of currently that your monitor is not picking up a input is, that GPU power cable is not it, Fault GPU, or a power cable came loose from the Motherboard and or ram is not seated properly to the ram slots

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  6. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I forgot to mention the Ram is RGB but for some reason it's not lightning up is
    The gpu doesn't have a dp it has this really weird looking connection thing with multiple squaresinside. My monitor doesn't have that.

Looked it up it's called a vga

7. Crownking

Crownking King of quark star

Reading List:
    Link
    If the ram is not lightning up that means the PC is not on
    Check the manual of the motherboard and CPU

8. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't light up when you turn the PC on? if thats the case, your ram is not installed/seated correctly.
    Edit: Did it work before you upgraded your Ram?

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you post some images or a video of what you're talking about? A lot of things could be causing the issues you're experiencing. It could be a power cable has come disconnected, the power supply is faulty, the power cable from the power supply to the wall outlet is faulty or not connected, the video card has come unseated or is faulty, even the CPU could have come unseated (though this is rare if the CPU cooler is properly installed). It could even be a grounding issue if the morons at iBUYPOWER didn't install the motherboard standoffs correctly or if the case isn't properly grounded. If your memory is RGB but isn't lighting up, that would indicate to me that it's a power issue, or the memory isn't seated properly.

On a side note, how did you come to own a PC with a CPU from 2020 and a video card from 2013? It should be criminal for iBUYPOWER to call a computer with that video card a 'Pro gaming PC'. If you bought that computer recently, you might consider returning it. That video card was on the lower end of the product stack in 2013, and it's going to be a bottleneck for your gaming experience in 2021.

The onboard video out is for AMD APUs, which the Ryzen 5 3600 is not. The Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics. Thus, You won't get any video output on the mobo.

EDIT:
    I thought that maybe OP made a mistake with that iBUYPOWER PC and maybe mistakenly thought it had a GT730. I found the listing. This is being sold as a gaming PC in 2021. The GT730 wasn't even sold as a gaming GPU when it was new in 2013. Even though there's a GPU shortage, it's false advertising to claim a GT730 has ever been 'Pro gaming' class hardware.

AMissingLinguist and runsing like this.
  10. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea completely forgot AMD did this shit (One of its con i guess).

11. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In this case, it's a con. Overall, I'm happier without integrated graphics. I have a discrete GPU so the iGPU is rarely useful to me. The iGPU takes up like 20% of the die on most Intel chips. That's space AMD can use for more productive purposes.

12. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, i completely agree with that, gonna stop responding until OP, replies

13. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing I did was upgrade my ram, I realized that was a mistake soon after doing so.

I just bought this computer recently and bought it prebuilt on Amazon I have no clue what year the parts are as for posting a video it might take a bit of time but I'll try

Sorry I had an exhausting 2 days and have been a sleep since now I'll try to post a video of the problem soon

@Trov @Crownking @Lorus @Jeebus I managed to get it running right after making the video. Some things weren't placed properly but I was to scared to open up the pc myself at first.

Thank you all for your help! It was much appreciate!

14. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All Good Man, glad that you fixed the problem :)

Crownking and Okuri Ookami like this.
  15. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you missed the key point. you found it and he bought it on amazon. you know what is common these days? buying prebuilt for the gpu and selling everything else back to recoup costs becausebof gpu shortage. op didnt get a prebuilt from ibuypower, he got a prebuilt some hackjob replaced the gpu on from amazon at a lower price.

16. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That almost certainly true. I went to ibuypower's website, and that configuration isn't available. OP should still return that PC ASAP. No one should be paying any amount of money for a new computer of any kind that comes with a GT730.

17. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Next time if you need help troubleshooting the PC,
    Check if your cpu heatsink feeling hot.
    Check if cpu fan spining,
    check if you graphic card heatsink feeling hot.
    Check is there debug LED on the motherboard.
    Did you hear beep code.
    Try blind flash the bios.
    Get a PCIE Debug card.

I remembers that 2500k outperforms 2550k by quite a bit after overclocking. Higher clocking and performance without IGPU is just myth.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  18. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ouch that gpu will hurt ...

some rough estimates :
    cpu 180$
    MB 30$
    psu 30$
    case 30-40$
    gpu 70$
    some grey market win10 key 30$
    ssd 25$
    RAM 50$
    still overpriced by at least 200$ and even worse the gpu is so weak that you might run some 800x600 resolution for the gpu to keep up with the graphics so "pro gaming" is a blatant lie and a provokation for every gamer/person with slight hardware knowledge