Sore neck from sleeping

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Apr 19, 2021.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I woke up from my sunday nap with a crick in my neck that makes be unable to bend my head left. I tried googling things but mostly it just said stuff like "Wait a few days and contact a doctor if it persists" "take some ibuprofen" or various tips for not hurting my neck in the first place that is kinda useless to be hearing now. Anyways, I figured I'd ask the final bastion of wisdom on the internet: NUF, for help with this. Give me some tips of how to treat my neck (which I will not be employing recklessly since I know how advice on the internet goes)

Thanks

Fulminata, AliceShiki, RizYun and 3 others like this.
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe try massaging it?

UnGrave likes this.
  3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I gave that a shot. felt nice but didn't really do anything

4. Silvania

Silvania Has returned to Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm... What ever you do. Be very slow and very careful. If I wake up with the crick I'll slowly roll my head to stretch my neck. But again I am used to this. Hot shower can do some good as well. Just do take care with whatever you do (which you said you are going to be doing).

GonZ555 and UnGrave like this.
  5. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try some icy hot.

If you feel poorly in addition the neck crick, it could be The flu.

The nap might be just the final straw that broke the camel's back. You may have been to sedentary, working in awkward positions of both. If that sounds like you, look up Egoscue's pain free book. His philosophy is that the body is a motion machine, but if you don't move, you start losing the capability to do so.

6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I was 100% sleeping is a weird position and I couldn't have the flu since I've been in a strict quarantine bubble. I'll take a look though.

7. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    I normally take a warm shower and put the shower head on my neck so that the warm water soaks the neck area

Even better if u have a bath

UnGrave likes this.
  8. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Tiger balm!

UnGrave likes this.
  9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Alternating between hot and cold shower stimulates the bloodflow and helps against muscle soreness. Typically gyms will have a sauna and a cold shower or a bath. You'll have to google how to apply it, but it works. Then massage it after and rest, making sure your head is properly supported.

UnGrave likes this.
  10. ThatHotGuyMike

ThatHotGuyMike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, I had the exact same problem as you except it also extended to my back. I'm not sure if you find yourself spending a lot of time in a chair, but if you are that is likely the cause. I've found that getting a good quality gaming chair in which you can spend many hours stops the pain from appearing. Go for a secret lab chair if you want guarantied quality.

UnGrave likes this.
  11. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    The pain will be there for several days, there's no instant way to relieve it.
    Try to compress your neck with moist warm compress, and only try simple movement like lift your head, move your head up for 6 seconds, down for 6 seconds, and left and right like that too. Dont overdo it, you must stop when you feel a little uncomfortable
    if you want to lie down, try to put pillow not only under your neck, but the pillow reach your shoulder too, so your neck didnt bent.

Im not great on english

Hamski and UnGrave like this.
  12. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would give it some rubbing/soft massage and try to keep it warm

UnGrave likes this.
  13. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Wait a few days" is essentially correct. Had the same thing happen to me a few months back. Woke up and could barely turn my head to the left at all, which made driving on the 5-lane freeway a joy. I just avoided aggravating it while going about my days and it went away on its own in about a week.

UnGrave likes this.
  14. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    To prevent it from happening again, you might want to look into getting a pillow that supports your neck/sleeping posture. There are ones specifically for side sleeping vs back sleeping. Like the person above mentioned, extra pillows might help. One between your knees, if you're sleeping on your side, is good too.

Halcyon Observer and UnGrave like this.
  15. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleep on an anatomically supporting pillow, and make sure to sleep on your sides as its healthier for you.

As others said, roll your head carefully like in gym( clockvise and counterclockvise) class but without the sudden fast rolls for stretching the sore parts and easing it during the day.

If you found your posture going weird like tilting to the side, raise yourself up straight so you don't permanently fuck it up and invite more pain problems. Setting mini alrams like 30-50 minute intervals for posture check might help so you don't forget.

On the neck supporting pillows, personally I use one of them bean shaped ones ( goes down in the middle, but outer parts for head and neck are rised up). You will only really know how much of an effect or not a pillow is by comparing presleep and postsleep state. Ever since I went for this, can't go back to the plain old simple stuffed pillow without pain.

UnGrave likes this.
  16. navybluecake

navybluecake Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Use ice pack for 2 days after it happens and after that hot pack

Turn your body and not your head only when you want to turn left or right. After this, improve your sleeping posture.

UnGrave likes this.
  17. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch this!

Love these guys~ xD

UnGrave likes this.
  18. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Ice showers
    10 minutes
    Every morning
    As cold as possible

UnGrave likes this.
  19. Keiko Ayano

Keiko Ayano Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dafuq? No. Just no.

First, try moving your neck as much as you can manage. If you start feeling pain, try to determine if it’s an “aching/stiffness” kind of pain or a “there’s something wrong” kind of pain.

If it’s the first, then my advice is to stretch it little by little. Which may or may not make things worse.

If it’s the second, then go to the hospital.

20. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm an idiot who will give it a massage, then roughly move the muscles there and try to ignore the pain. Do this several times until you can ignore the ache and continue the day as normally as possible.

Again, this is the idiot method...

kajess, UnGrave and Napelynn like this.