Resolved I know it's allowed but...

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by m__a, Apr 19, 2021.

1. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi... so um

I've been translating a novel thst hadn't been translated (altho some people wanted it to be) since november. The thing is I've been kinda busy with real life but I just noticed today that someone has started translating it also from the very beginning.

I know in NU it's allowed to have two versions of the same novel but I'm just kinda depressed that it's been taken over :cry:.

Does this mean that my translation was sh*t or something? When this happens what do you do?

Thanks.

2. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your doing it for yourself then just keep on doing it. Otherwise go with your gut.

runsing likes this.
  3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Iirc if a novel isn't translated for longer than a month(?) it becomes fair game for everybody else to pick up (unless you have a licence which I'm guessing you don't since like, only qi and wuxia world do).
    Just do you, if you want. There are plenty of novels here that are tl'd by two or more tl's

4. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it necessarily means your translation was sh*t if they started over from the very beginning. I think it's rather more that they want to be committed from beginning to end by starting fairly from the very beginning which imo a lot of people should do instead of sniping and complaining about slow releases and they're building up their own reader base for the novel. Maybe they liked the novel as much as you did!

If you really liked that novel, I don't see why you shouldn't continue it. MDZS is a famous BL novel that's already been completely translated but that doesn't stop people from creating their own interpretations of it.

riririn and Westeller like this.
  5. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank u, I will continue... I guess if I update faster I'll be getting the views haha....

Its up for grabs when it hasnt been updated in three months, and uh... it HAS been updated just not linked... now that I'm looking at it... Either way I know other translations are allowed in NU.... but still it's sad.

ohh yeah i guess, I still find it somewhat rude... if the translation isn't bad... Plus if there are already chapters and it's being updated, they won't get many readers? Idk...

6. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep only real reason to stop would be a dmca or cease and desist so do what you want we need more translators not less and it doesn’t matter if more than one do the same series.

7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually extremely rare that a novel gets forcefully taken over because the original translation was s**t. That would require the original novel to be really good and a confident translator who wants to properly honor the author. Most novels...actually aren't that good, and most translators enter the game to actually learn how to translate.

Most likely it's because there hasn't been a translation in a significant period of time.

8. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just so you know, there's nothing stopping people from picking stuff up whenever they want. I recommend you take another look at our policy https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/ they started from the beginning so we listed them. also, if you were gone for 30 days or didn't meet the 2 release per 30 day minimum, you lost active translator status and all protection that goes with it.

Generally the quality doesn't matter. people will do what they want to, when they want to.

TamaSaga and riririn like this.
  9. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or someone just gets fed up with a mtl and decides that even a shitty novel deserves better. Though some of the mtl are a lot better than a few years ago

TamaSaga likes this.
  10. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ohh yeah i guess, I still find it somewhat rude... if the translation isn't bad...

We update once a week tho...
    Yeap I know there's nothing stopping them. I've read the policy. Also, there have been updates in the past 30 days so I think I still have the active translator status... but thanks

11. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^

12. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or, you know.

They could have done them for passion, because the story is so dear and precious to them and want to put effort into doing their own version of it.

Those still exist. Translators who translates for passion, not expecting credit or views or compensations.

13. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, thnak u! I guess I'll keep it up cause I really like the author...