Electronic device lifespan

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Neiri, Mar 7, 2021.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of my electronics last 10+ years... I usually only replace them when they stop working altogether.
    The person above doesn't seem to be a real user... They seem to have just typed whatever to get some quick message count...

2. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

well you see they could build light bulbs that burn over 100 years (firestation san francisco if im remember it right) until they decided to increase their revenue by making it last ~ 5000h
    vacuum cleaners washing maschines etc use cheap contacts to break down earlier
    my parents back than boughta vhs recorder for almost 900$ just to have it break down 1 month after the end of warrenty - manufactorer saved several cents and went for plastic gears instead of metal gears and so it went click click click and the teeeth of the gears were gone and as such the functionality of the device designed breakdown or what is that called ? might be mechanics to break down or electronical components to burn out/stop working

for my second last mouse it was the place the cable left the mouse - broke as designed movements made the cable break before that is had a 150$ cable less mouse and the reciever just stopped working ...
    my cherry keyboard is working for almost 20 years now with only the paint on "w" "s" and "c" keys getting thin
    i guess my mobile will soon reach its 25th birthday
    PC is about 5 years old looking to replace mainboard cpu ram and graphics card but graphicscards are to expensive right now

3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting most if not all electronics to atleast survive 5 years is easy provided you are taking care of them. Anything more and it depends on the specific piece. I have a CRT TV that is atleast 20 years old for example and it works flawlessly.

4. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you cant do much against designed breakdowns, even less if its stuff like apple aiming to make repairs/individual changes almost impossible

if your TV had for example cheap condensators build in and they let them run hot just not using it might save the device

mostly seems like older prodicts arent hit that hard back than engineers tried to build the best products they could, right now they are rather told to build the way they would make the most money

5. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    usually the expensive stuff breaks faster. Like a dynamic mic can lasted for 20 years. I just hope my condenser mic can last for 5 years.
    There is no electronics inside that bulbs, there is only one peice of tungsten. Usually we call electronics are those with circuit boards boards or a Circuits build in.
    Highest quality of MLCC use by the military only lasted for about 20 years before they get upgrade or replaced.

6. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if i remember it right the us nuke systems runs on 60 year old computers ...
    upgrades and replacements in military is often depended on the money avaible for that stuff or the priority to do it

and it doesnt change my pov that quite some stuff could last longer if they spend a tiny fraction more on the production

thought the upgrades might be intresting for PCs mobiles etc but there will hardly be groundbreaking inventions to improve vacuumcleaners, fridges, dishwashers etc
    if you take a look at climate change or limited resources you might ask yourself if its a smart approach to be like apple and try to make any repairs impossible to sell a new phone for the tiniest flaw/breakdown there might be
    at some points the system just cant keep working, there isnt unlimited space, there arent unlimited resources, there cant be unlimited economy growth and the humans living at that time wont have it nice for sure

7. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding the 60 year old computers, the US military kept it as is not because they lacked funding, but because it was much safer. The system was kept as is on purpose because it served as a huge obstacle for hackers and bad actors. The system was both fully offline and ran on programming unconventional for today's standards; you cannot hack into something you cannot access.
    A rather ingenious strategy, I say.

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing about that is... would you want to? My 8 year old phone still works fine, just replace the battery and it is as good as new. That said, surfing the web on it is much longer load times then a brand new phone as new websites are now loaded with all kinds of scripts, styles and etc.

That said, many of these devices do have a 2nd life either elsewhere or repurposed for other uses. So I do agree that at least non easily replaceable battery should be a crime.

And there have been plenty of improvements in vacuum cleaners, fridges and dishwashers. Especially in the case of efficiency.

You can still find SLC in commercial drives(Like samsung z-nand), and even in consumer drives to some sense. Many 1TB TLC and QLC will have about 100-200gb of SLC in them.

Of course there is also alternative options like Optane(3d XPoint) which gets similar endurance lifespan.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  9. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    My computer lasted around 7-9 years before it completely broke and not usable . Devices usually last pretty long if you take care of them well

10. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I think it's more on to the maintaining. I always abused my stuffs. Yet they still lasted more than their life expectancy.
    [​IMG]
    This is my ie80s a 300 dollar earpiece, recently I broke the wires connected to the 2pins and melt the plastic connecting the 2 pins when doing soldierings. And I have to get a replacement 2 pins. It would however works as new once I get my replacement parts done.
    Most devices can last indefinitely as long as you dose the nessary maintenance and replace the parts that needed to be replaced.

brigs11 likes this.
  11. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    things typically go obsolete by design these days. which is why you should avoid ever getting an iphone if you can help it

12. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I also bought razer mouse, the deathadder around 2015 and now the scrollwheel(clicking) doesnt work unless i click hard. It only broke in this last three months

Havisu likes this.
  13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Razer+DeathAdder+Chroma+Scroll+Wheel+Replacement/87577
    You can try cleaning or even replacing the scroll wheel if you want. New scroll wheels cost less than $10.
    If you know how to solder, you can also try reflowing the solder for the switch or even replacing it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Joospinch likes this.
  14. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SLC SSDs are sold on Amazon.

15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe, I got my custom made.
    Its impossible to find a slc ssd with smi 2246en and 1gib dram cache. Intel slc original wafer.

I paid about 25usd for 128GiB.

Your switch on the mouse is out of commission.
    https://mouseclub.co/pages/mouse-switch-guide
    There is a guild on changing mouse switches. Mouse should last forever as long as you change their switch from time to time.

brigs11 likes this.
  16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    My Mouse did Most when I played a lot. So I bought 2 to Not Always have to get new ones.

My Keyboard gets some DMG too but it lasts forever.

I won't Change my Phone until it's Broken, because it's perfect. Just Gotta keep it charged

17. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i still have 2 acer laptops which are over 10 years old and still work fine for very basic stuff. they're incapable of doing anything taxing anymore (and havent been for a few years) but i only use them as file hubs for watching downloaded videos hooked up to a tv.
    I have an MSI laptop (bout 2ish years old) that i've never had problems with, except needing to get the battery replaced as it bulged after two years of use (which apparently is a common problem with that sort of battery). Apart from that it's been fine.

had the same battery problem with my nokia 3.1, also after about 2-3 years of use. Had to upgrade to a 3.4 because finding a replacement battery would have taken too long and likely been a bit costly. If i can ever find a new battery, the 3.1 is still usable.

18. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I think that how you use got nothing to do with how long things last. I abuse my ie80s. Putting in pockets without case. Opening the casing with a knife... And many other horrible stuffs.
    Like my earlier post, I'm able to get always with it most of times.
    And brands...

Seriously good brands dose not mean they have good products.
    I'm willing to put my money on clevo which is a not so good brand than buying an acer pc.

90% of ram stick is better than corsair vengeance series. Even brand less ones.

I get always from cutting the wires on the pins and melting the connector with soldering metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2021