Discussion If Someone Is Threatened Into Murdering Someone, Are They Guilty Of Murder?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 310942, Apr 20, 2021.

?

Is He Guilty?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I was doing my Social Studies HW, and we were talking about the Nuremburg Court. In this little questionnaire my teacher makes us do frequently, she asked "Suppose that you are a judge in the Nuremberg Trials, and one of the defendants claims he should be held "not guilty" because he was following orders under threat of death. Is that a valid argument? What additional would you want from him to help make your decision?". I was starting off strong, I was like "Yes, it is valid if he has evidence." But... What comes after that? Is he just stripped of his crimes even after he killed and slaughtered millions? I get that he was being threatened, and he was a victim too, but, I don't know, man. I need help with my Social Studies HW again! >-<

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad you put "depends" as an option because as I learned form watching legal eagle all the time, it's complicated.

3. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to ask yourself how heavily you weigh both the intent and outcome. And you have to ask is it ethical to enforce self-sacrifice, meaning are you obligated to choose to save a life of another at the cost of your own?

We can discuss all day about the conditions and clauses of how to "perfectly" respond to this type of situation. But you also have to ask how expendable you are? Even if you sacrifice yourself, what guarantees the next person in line will too? In this hypothetical, could you not make the argument that rather than choosing a life to save, you choose a life to kill?

In morals and ethics, there will never be an infallible, "obvious" choice. It is exactly because you cannot quantify the value of life and choice that you cannot conclude an unchanging answer. There are no "right" answers, and if your teacher is a good teacher, they will also understand that well.

Also, I thought there was some rule that states "No homework help" or the like. Oh well.

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  4. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m no lawyer but I believe so.. it’s at least an accessory before the fact unless it was somehow self defense

6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it matter? In cases of war, the winner writes history. So the ones on the losing side would be guilty and the ones on the winning side would not be.

I remember there was 1 high ranking officer who avoided execution because the "crimes" he was charged with were done by the allies as well.

As for if to hold someone accountable in general if they kill someone under the threat of death themselves would vary from case to case. If there is a gun to someone's head, then technically speaking that person can kill the other person anyways. Now if you have wiggle room, like say in case of the person threatening you not being there, and you being able to flee elsewhere, then you would still be somewhat liable for your actions. Cause you simply took the convenient path.

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  7. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    That's right. I didn't know how to answer to that question she asked, because everything, from the circumstances to the intent, can decide whether he was guilty or not. It isn't a crime to look after your own well-being before anyone else's. The circumstances and settings of where the "threat" took place is probably the biggest part of this equation. I'm not sure about the "No homework help" rule. Oh well... Let's hope my teacher doesn't have an account on novelupdates. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprise surprise, your teacher is a mod.
    : P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.