Discussion Which genre do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by EightFour, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EightFour

EightFour Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These days, I like romance fantasy like "The Villainess is a Marionette" and I am Korean.

I also want to know where are you from (since now I am searching for a preference of English natives)

1Sami likes this.
  2. Huss.02

Huss.02 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the saint trinity: Romance, Mistery, Psychological (such as in Utsuro No Hako to Zero no Maria). From the UK

EightFour likes this.
  3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not native english speaker & I didn't read Korean novel(s) (haven't found any that's interesting enough for me) though I do have few manhwas that are my favorite (The Gamer, I am Sorcerer King, Reader & the last one was kinda new so I didn't remember the title (& since mangadex is down, I can't find it))
    As for fav genre, it'll be comedy
    Also, I preferred MCs whose personality are +/- similar to Ji Han of The Gamer (as in though OP, they're still susceptible to surprises & something become the joke themselves) and/or Soo-Hyuk of Reader (the guy is OP but so oblivious that he's OP, esp on the how he got OP (^^i))
    My least favs here on NU are smut, R-18 stuff (might as well read proper adult stories on the adult sites for me), yaoi, shonen-ai & tragedy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    EightFour likes this.
  4. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    Nowadays, I prefer chinese romance novels. For example, devil's warmth, live at the murder scene, I've transmigrated into this movie before, little one tears the villain's script.

EightFour likes this.
  5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Historical novels. Chinese novels do a better job in this genre than any other language so I end up reading a ton of Chinese novels. The sheer amount of detail and flavor in the best of these books is staggering, and they can have so many impressive things that other genres just can't compare. Proper historical novels are also very hard to write and you'll see authors constantly talking about how they don't have the skills to pull it off.

Unfortunately this genre isn't popular on NU so very few such books get translated. The books on NU categorized in the Historical genre are mostly lies as few of them have anything to do with history.

Shio and EightFour like this.
  6. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    1Sami and EightFour like this.
  7. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though korean fantasy novel are popular i find the characters particulary dumb they dont give depth to the characters and simple problems take forever to be solved in the hand of these characters. So i mostly like the modern era novels the entertainment industry novels are quiet well written as author have more knowledge regarding the field as they live in korea so they can put more concentration on forming the characters.
    Though historical novels in an english setting where there is king, duke,etc are there are also quite good though most of them are from the perspective of a female mc and quite a few chapters are wasted on them thinking of a way to do things independently and not to been known by there family due to one reason or another which kind of puts me off due to this happening repeated in various novels and often the solution is them depending on ml most of the time and i rather prefer fl mc which meets ml after they have achieved there goals or are near it rather than meeting ml which is all powerful and make there hardwork up to then seem like nothing.

EightFour likes this.
  8. nightbutterfly

nightbutterfly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately I like to read Korean and Japanese novel. Prefer crossdressing novel with badass lead character, no whiny female character, adventure, action and fantasy

EightFour likes this.
  9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Right now, I am very interested in BL Romance Horror, like The Nightmare Game or Supernatural Movie Actor App~!

But usually I read any CN novels~

I'm from the USA, if that helps~ :blobpeek:

EightFour likes this.
  10. EightFour

EightFour Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your opinions!! I will refer to the ideas and pick up novels to be translated!! Thanks again!

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always been a sucker for traditional sword 'n sorcery. I'm particularly fond of magic in general, and don't mind seeing it in more modern or even futuristic settings. Ideally the story has a decent spin to keep things fresh. Like mystery, or an emphasis on full blown military battles, or politics, or something. Not just Jack the convenience store clerk awakens as a badass and grinds this and that dungeon, maybe slaps a few faces and saves the world or something. No. Well written stories that do something different, even if they use a few familiar puzzle pieces.

Romance is always a huge plus, of course. Real romance, mind you, not "You've defeated the boss! Reward: 3 Harem Members". ... Mature romance, too. Not "awww, they're so sweet. It'd be nice if they held hands or something (c300)." Get enough of that from Japanese novels, thanks. Real relationship or

12. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like a lot of genres but mainly psychological, romance, and horror. I know... that's a lot of variation but it does span across my manga, manhua, manhwa, and novels. My House of Horrors is amazing if you need a novel and A Trail of Blood is a good manga.

I read more manga and manhua than manhwa and I'm from the United States. I don't think that it's because of the art differences but more because there are more of the genres I like in their styles. I read novels from everywhere as long as it has a good plot but I like there being a lot of details so there aren't many. I end up reading pretty much anything I can find (with a good plot) after I exhaust my stockpile.

13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. It's quite a headache especially since it's been ingrained from manga days that anything not modern = historical. If you see any, feel free to take the genre tag off.

Anyway. For op, something with lots of bromance are great.

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've already been doing that for books I read. I don't feel comfortable doing for other books even though it's obvious from their descriptions that there's nothing historical about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.