Genshin impact

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Bobasis, Apr 21, 2021.

1. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Button mashing team! :blobhighfive: As for the abyss...rip orz Yeah, I miss finding (luxurious) chests and the feeling of exploring a place you haven't been to before. I can't wait for the House system too. Time to mine all the ores in Mondstadt and Liyue for furniture~ :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

SayMrrp and Bad Storm like this.
  2. Khaos-Thanathan

Khaos-Thanathan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't recommend Genshin Impact. The first 20 to 30 hours of gameplay may be nice and enjoyable, but after that, it gets downhill fast. Genshin Impact is like a hypermonetized - and hyper-time-gated - korean F2P-MMORPG in that regard. Here's a video about "should you play Genshin Impact":

It's somewhat superficial and there are some things that are incorrect, but it can serve as a guideline. The game itself is utterly scuffed due to the gacha-system. The premium 5 star characters you get through the gacha are all vastly superior to the 4 F2P characters you start the game with - both in combat and exploration. The gacha is also very expensive while having very low drop rates for good items and characters - the game itself is also quite stingy with free premium currency. If you have spending issues or are a completionist, don't ever play Genshin Impact. Obtaining a 5 star character even in the event gacha can cost up to 3.500 EUR due to the constellation system in which you need copies of the same character to progress in that system. If you really want to play the game F2P, you have to invest a lot of time into studying game-mechanics, ingame economy, micromanagement, etc. up to the point where you can argue that you aren't playing the game for fun anymore.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to say that as a dumb/button-masher F2P, I'm enjoying the game! Well, I've spent money to get 1 5*, but otherwise I've sworn to not spend any money. So, this is the opinion of someone who plays the game like a F2P person. Genshin does not require money or you to be super good: it requires time. If your builds suck, people can carry you in coop. XD Sure, you might miss out on some things if you're weak (the meta dungeon that gives rewards and resets), but overall Genshin's not competitive so how good your builds/skills are doesn't affect anything.

I have no clue what I'm doing in terms of builds, but it's not hard to look up builds on reddit, so I'm thriving! AR54, haha. (AR55 is pretty much endgame, so I'm technically at the current endgame)

Also, the rates aren't very good (0.6%), but the pity system makes up for it! Anyone who wants to play Genshin without spending big bucks should realize that you're not meant to get every 5* that comes out. Like, if you're F2P, the resources you have won't sustain more than 3-4 well-built characters (at least, not for a long time. I'm AR 54/endgame and I'm finishing my first 3 built characters still). Not much point in getting 8 5*s if you're not gonna be able to use them as F2P since things are timegated a little. The developers don't want you to max a character in like a day, so I think the timegateing is reasonable.

So, the pity. 90 pulls = guaranteed 5*, but it's a 50/50 between the focus (limited event) 5* and the standard 5* pools. If you get the wrong character (not limited) then the next 5* you pull will definitely be the limited character. So, if you really want someone, gotta save up 180 pulls for a guarantee. The best thing is: pity carries across limited banners, so if you're broke and can't get the current banner 5*, you'll still have progress towards the next 5*. It would take a couple months for you to save up enough, but hey, you could win the 50/50! I got really lucky and got the limited 5* twice in 90 pulls (normal luck would have been 1 or none). I did get really unlucky when rerolling though... I rerolled 72 times (~30 min per reroll, so you feel my pain) and didn't get the character so I ended up breaking my F2P virginity.

4*s don't feel that much different from 5*s because it's a solo game. As long as you've invested on someone and had some good RNG, your 4* could be better than your 5*. There is a difference between a 4* and 5*, but I don't feel that 4*s are way weaker than 5*s.

Genshin is a bit of a grind, so unless you enjoy gathering resources and slowly strengthening your characters, go for some other game. I think you need patience to appreciate Genshin. It's easy to get upset if you're greedy or in a rush to finish the game when the game isn't even halfway. You could always try it to see if you like the characters/gameplay!

Also, I recommend PC if you do play it. Mobile/PS4 is suffering.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Bad Storm likes this.
  4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to add, there's a soft pity at roll 75 where the chance of getting a 5* significantly increase. Only the true unlucky ones reach 90 rolls...

SayMrrp likes this.
  5. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    *coughs*
    Yeah, I always plan for the worst... Thanks for clarifying that!

Miracles like my friend literally getting Keqing (standard 5* character) + random trash weapon + limited 5* character (literally 1 pity) exist, but honestly losing the 50/50 (even before 90 pulls) at the 90 is a thing...

Also, I rerolled 72 times so like... that was like over a thousand pulls without pity (because different accounts meaning pity never carried) and I never got the limited...

6. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Losing 50/50 sucks. But i saw some people legit get angry because they pre-farmed a character then lose 50/50.

SayMrrp likes this.
  7. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    lmao people like that don't understand gacha.

Bad Storm likes this.
  8. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I actually don't wanna recommend genshin, some people just can't handle the predatory practices of gacha games.

SayMrrp likes this.
  9. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    haha, just make it clear that it's gacha! That's why I talked about the pity system and how you shouldn't expect to get a lot of characters.

I like Genshin, but I get that it's not for everyone :p

Bad Storm likes this.
  10. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I actually like how relaxing the game is. A huge part of the community complains about the lack of content but I'm currently satisfied with the game pace.

SayMrrp likes this.
  11. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, it's not even close to the end of the game, but lots of people complain about the lack of content :p

also it'd be impossible for any game developer to keep up with the desires of some people :v

12. Khaos-Thanathan

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda have to disagree here. If you're playing purely F2P, it's quite possible to permanently cripple your account due to how the game is build. One of the main issues of this game is that it focuses far too much on elements and elemental interactions. You are required to get several other characters through gacha in order to be able to somewhat properly play the game. That doesn't just include missing elements, but also existing elements since the four free starter characters are borderline useless and it also includes element/weapon-combinations for exploration. Other than that, scaling enemy levels to your adventure rank instead of the average level of your characters while having no brakes between certain adventure ranks is also horrible game design. When I started playing Genshin Impact, I had a lot of work in university and in office. I only really managed to play casually and often only did my daily commission quests. That was a huge mistake since I directly jumped from AR 1 to AR 3 meaning that the bosses which yield character ascension materials are level 50 while my party members are all level 40 thus making it incredibly hard to defeat these bosses.

LordCorwin likes this.
  13. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that the only way I'm not F2P is that I rolled a couple extra characters (and I didn't really use anyone but Chongyun) and got a 5* I wanted at the start, which is something that a player could do through saving, luck, or rerolling (which I don't recommend lmao). I actually use Barbara, Xiangling, and Traveler as supports so free characters work!

My 3 5*s are anemo and geo.... so I've never really used reactions *cough* since my main team has like none. It got me all the way to AR54 though! I'm currently starting my first team with actual reactions XD I get that my 5*s are really good, but it shows that reactions aren't exactly essential (AR54 with like minimal reactions). They certainly are very important though!

Also, it's not difficult to get other characters since you can get a couple free standard pulls just from playing. It's certainly not hard to get characters, but it's hard to get characters you want, haha. Also, although Lisa and Amber are debatably useless, Kaeya, Barbara, Xiangling, and the traveler themself are quite decent with investment (and in this game investment is a duh unless you have a broken character like Ganyu). Oh huh, those 4 can react pretty well too, I guess.

I feel like the WL thing is a bit pushy and does need some fixing. Thankfully, it gets harder to jump WL after you get to higher World Levels. I don't think it's possible to permanently cripple your account. If you messed up at the start and overwhelmed yourself, you could always slowly grind up and/or ask for help in coop. Most Genshin players are bored and love to carry noobs, although there are toxic players. If you're having difficulty with WL, you could get help through coop since people can carry you in levelling your characters. It wouldn't be difficult to have a signature that says "Please carry me" or something like that. I've cooped with people that have signatures like that. (if you're a minor, I might not recommend that though). If you can't handle Genshin on your own, there's always the option of cooping with friends or online helpers. The only boss you can't coop would be Stormterror, and you could easily boost your characters' strength with coop help and then easily handle him.
    Of course, if you don't/can't coop, it might be harder to catch up (time and running away from enemies), but I think Genshin really encourages coop.

I would suggest that anyone wanting to play the game should set extra time for the early game, since it does require more time than the endgame (dailies and resin). It's like 30 min a day for endgame players (could be less, but I'd rather overestimate than underestimate), but I think it's important to have story progression and grinding at the start.

To make it clear, Genshin is a grinding game even though the most important resources are timegated. If you don't have time to grind (especially at the start), the Genshin experience can decrease in quality, and I might recommend that you wait to play or just not play.

14. Khaos-Thanathan

Reading List:
    Link
    Should an optional coop-function fix the glaring design flaws of a single player experience though? It's a fact that the game has several balancing issues. You could even take the latest event as example. Those "berserk rocks" simply have far too much HP.

15. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I did say that WL is pushy. It doesn't quite permanently cripple an account though, which was my point. It's possible to make a comeback with coop, although it might be very difficult without. Genshin has its flaws, and those flaws show up more if the game isn't suited to your playstyle/lifestyle. Also, Genshin implemented the "decrease world level" to address this issue, so they've done something to fix it. Hopefully they'll do more to address the issue later. I wonder if they'll rework AR later since AR55 seems to be a temporary stop.
    Balancing issues are a thing, and I've noticed it in a lot of games. That doesn't mean it's not an issue, but Genshin is a fairly new and complex game, and issues are to be expected. They've seemingly been open to feedback and seem to have been using it, so hopefully things will improve. We'll see.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with the event. If someone (a F2P someone in terms of builds) that doesn't know how to fight technically but merely button smashes with 3 built characters (Reddit guides) doesn't have an issue, I wouldn't say that the event is unreasonable. It might be imperfect and annoying, but I think it's within reason. I do have Zhongli though, which makes Geovisharp fights easier. I have a friend who only mains catalysts (aka generally squishy and no shield), and they've been doing fine though. A lot of people have been complaining about the small geovisharps, and I do agree they need some reworking since you can literally stab them but do nothing =-= I think Mihoyo wanted a challenge so they slapped mini Geovisharps in to just stall time *facepalm* If only there were easier ways of making content hard in a domain fight.
    The event may be different at lower ARs, but again, it's probably also scaled (so less HP) and it's possible to be carried in coop.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  16. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    In all honesty, that's not quite true. Obviously, 5* characters will be much stronger than the free characters and you won't ever come close to the dps something like, say, a c6 Diluc would get you. That doesn't mean you can't play, though. Not only can all the free characters comprise a workable team, you're not exactly limited to them alone. Some events allow you to farm currency to recruit new characters and even the main currency, primogems, can be easily and reliably farmed over time. The only way you never pull any characters from the gacha is if you choose to not pull - I should know, since I am a fully F2P player. As an aside, phys damage builds work perfectly fine throughout early stages. It's mainly late-game that needs elemental reactions for high dps.

As for scaling, I agree that sometimes it can be tough to deal with. However, I appreciate scaling with AR rather than individual character levels. Many players (including me) focus resources on our main dps and not the supports, meaning that usually only a few characters will be fully leveling (barring those who have access to enough resources to max level all characters). If enemy levels were to scale with character levels, they would be under leveled for my dps and I wouldn't be able to effectively farm any of the resources needed to continue leveling and ascending. Not to mention the logistics of leveling the enemies. Would the bosses' levels be based on the current party levels? In that case, what happens when you switch parties? Would the entire world have to upgrade or downgrade levels in response? That's a bit of a silly thought. In addition, ranking up at higher ARs, where the change in WL is much more apparent, is not only harder but typically locked behind certain quests you need to complete in order to rank up. Also, there's recently been a feature where you can rank down your WL by one, which would help people in your situation.

SayMrrp likes this.
  17. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Geovishaps are like the only challenging monsters in the game though. Up to a point, because after a while everything is ezpz like if you've been playing from the start, unless you're unlucky in artifacts.

SayMrrp likes this.
  18. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that was why I said "if only there were easier ways of making content hard in a domain fight." Honestly, I don't even find geovisharps hard (though I haven't tried the new weekly boss), so it's mostly how they run away and waste time.

Hard to make the fights creative and hard, haha. A problem lots of game developers have to deal with..

Tbh, the new abyss bosses seem like a pain though.

19. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's definitely difficult to make challenging monsters, especially when you develop your game for the mobile audience while catering to pc audience too.
    People keep complaining how monsters and challenge are basically dps-checks and are now complaining how the new weekly boss is too hard. Btw the reason people hate the weekly boss is its AoE range and frequency, forcing you to need shields and/or healing. Or archers. If you have zhongli, you can breeze through the entire thing without any problems.

Meh, the abyss heralds, nothing like a good ol' freeze couldn't solve. I haven't tried the new abyss yet, but I'm no fan of these kinds of challenges.

SayMrrp likes this.
  20. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, definitely! Not to mention how they have to cater to whales and F2P players. I'd consider myself F2P gameplay wise since I only sparked Zhongli with money.

I mean, it's kinda hard to check anything else. XD So yep!
    Yeah, I think my friend who only mains catalysts (therefore no shield) suffered a little on the new boss, especially when they brought Klee and Yanfei and the boss became pyro-resistant.

Yeah, Zhongli has really improved after the 1.3 buffs! He's just everywhere now.