Discussion Who plays ...

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by DiabolicGod, Apr 24, 2021.

1. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who plays mobile games these days?
    Do only little children that cannot hold console controllers yet play them?
    Going through the mobile games "charts", half the games are made for mentally retarded people, if not more.
    It's not even at the level that can be excused as "a simple nice game to pass a few minutes waiting"...
    No skill is required, the game and gameplay isn't interesting, heck even the graphics are nothing great.
    It is just supremely dull activity that in return gives you the illusion of progress.

Honestly, I am a bit worried about our society, because I know people who let their kids (as young as two years old) play for many hours a day on phones/tablets, with the pathetic excuse of not being great at taking care of children / not having time / not being in the mood to play with them / everyone else also letting the children play... and I know they are not a small minority of 0.x% but at least several percent.

Just thinking about this, I involuntarily have to think 'are we intentionally raising idiots to become the new low-wage worker class that we can exploit in the future?' and 'how is it possible that the governments don't stop these shit-companies from exploiting (by addicting them and making them pay a lot for nothing) people and how come there is little to no public pressure on politicians to do this?' and a lot of similar thoughts.

About how much more children and teenagers play in total compared to even just ten to twenty years ago need not be wondered. It is a great multiple.
    I am not against videogames or similar, but I sure sometimes wonder where we are heading to

2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kinda feels like this rant is a few years too old. From what I've been hearing, mobile games have been getting better and better (at least certain ones). Like I hear LOL mobile is a faithful experience. Fartnight was also pretty faithful apparently. Genshin is good if you can run it. etc. I haven't tried any myself (tried Genshin on pc not mobile), but you might just be boomering.

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might want to find out about the situation before tossing out insults lest you end up in the 'mentally retarded' category yourself.
    I see them as the time wasters you play on the hour and a half train or bus ride to and from work when you have nothing else to do while locked in a moving box.

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a kid I had a tamagachi where you'd clean its poo every once in a while. Don't worry about the effects of simple games on kids, children have been playing dumb games since the beginning of time.

Blitz, Ddraig, Ahmya and 9 others like this.
  5. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    indeed, I might have not been clear enough and a bit too harsh, after all mindless activities to pass time can be appealing at times
    however, I was mainly addresssing the games that (through hints, gameplay and design) make you feel like you are being treated like a three years old kid, that lack nice graphics, gameplay and game-design and merely toss out the few standard hooks to get people addicted (illusion of progress, praise every few minutes, loot-boxes, etc.).

I don't mean games like clash of clans, cod mobile version, asphalt (even though it got worse over the years), and other such games with a bit of quality.
    I don't even really mean games like candy crush (although I think its is pretty shit), where you can at least still get a bit of a challenge and that are designed well

no, I see games where, for example, you have to spawn a minion, drag it to destroy an object, and keep doing that, but destroying an object always takes at least half a minute. This in perpetuum is the entire game. And it landed in the top twenty of the game charts...

It is like if clash of clans only consisted of the builders, but you had to drag them to destroy trees and rocks after spawning them each level, and the objects were all in a line leading to the next level. Every time you'd spawn them anew, finish destroying the objects and get a loot box with pretty much unusable or unneeded loot inside and start anew.
    Bad graphics, you can't build or place anything, and all you can get is "cards" which proportionally speed you up or provide benefits so you constantly remain about at the level of time investment per level you started with, maybe taking abit longer even if you don't buy anything with cash.

6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Mobile games are mostly time wasters, and prey on the mentality of "collecting".

What makes them appealing to many people is precisely because you can throw as little or as much time as you want at them. Because the problem with many skill based games is they need your full concentration, so it's hard to really play unless you have the entire time to yourself. In comparison, the mobile game can be easily played while waiting for food or etc.

Of course the top will always be dominated by whales, aka people who throw a ton of money at it. And often times that isn't teenagers, cause teenagers don't have access to a credit card as readily as adults. Even more so these days where there are more protections against teenagers using their parent's money.

Overall, these mobile games are an evolution of text based games.

As for why governments do little to stop them, they do a bit to stop them. But do note, governments need money too. And you spending money on trash stuff also earns them tax income. So they will only go as far as the outcry takes them.

In terms of how far are we heading towards stupid work force? As far as people buying tablets(a device mostly made for consumption) over PCs(a device made for production and consumption).

PS Thanks for the nuffies for putting this in the wrong section

7. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem like you have a grudge against a specific game rather than a whole industry (but decided to nuke everything), could we have the name of the game you are so against as a reference?

Tablets actually evolved from something called PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants). They were supposed to be notepads and sketchpads you could bring around for note taking. Like mobile phones, they sort of evolved beyond their initial intention, which was purely work related.

8. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek: I play mobile games

Nightow1, Leo William and Napelynn like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat, albeit rarely cuz most require internet which this cat too lazy~ gimme offline game!
    gameplay? meh~

the scary part indeed on microtransaction~ and~ toxicity~ been long time this cat bothered by such thing~ in fact since fps online type such as FreeFire~
    seem like single player is better than team based game cuz most children too busy insult each other rather than working together lol

Stylus! when this cat see tablet sometimes think... do they have stylus? Ngadge from Nokia back then try to put game console and mobile phone together kinda disaster result, turn out mobile games more on hmm "software" path rather than console path.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, games in general have their target audience as children and teenagers, since those people have allowances to spend and 0 bills to pay, so they tend to spend more in the long run when compared to adults with families to take care of and a proper sense of the worth of their own money.

Some games might be extremely simple and don't have a particular appeal to you, but... That's fine? I mean, Flappy Bird was pretty successful, and that game was about as simple as it can get. Sometimes you don't need much to find a way to entertain people with a game.

Dunno about the specific game you talked about with moving minions to destroy objects and stuff, but maybe it had some depth as you explored the game and it ended up becoming interesting later on? I dunno.

MarshmallowAddiction and Blitz like this.
  11. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Im playing RAID... :oops:

12. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to call a tablet an evolution of PDAs. I mean tablets in themselves are as old as PDAs. Modern tablets though are more of an divergence from smartphones rather than the tablets of old.

The tablets back in the day had styluses as mentioned, and had non-glass screens. This allowed for more precise writing, better texture and less fragile.

13. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually the stylus that shows their origins, they were meant as modern sketch pads rather than phones, hence the 'pencil'. Some tablets also can't connect to the cellular network since it was not their original function.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Capitalism. :blobwoah: Anyway, compared to mobile games, stuff like sugar, alcohol, and tobacco are far more exploitative. :hmm:

15. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Most tablets don't have a stylus. That is why I said, tablets diverged. "Most" modern tablets stem from the phone.

The first commercial tablet was the Linus Technologies Write-top in 1987. While PDAs came out a few years earlier, they didn't have a Stylus. The first PDA with a stylus the newton came to be in 1993.

But modern tablets that are mostly capacitive screens with no stylus are pretty much oversized phones. Some of them have gone back to their roots by adding wacom digitizers or the like.

16. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe your problem is that your looking at the charts? or the genres of the games you like just haven't boomed yet on mobile

i've played some mobile games and i'm happy enough with them. im quite curious as to what kind of games you've been playing and what kind of games fit your criteria enough for mental simulation.

you can find games like geometry dash or deemo which can stimulate your accuracy,
    a crappy p2w cashgrab game like state of survival can still stimulate your diplomacy skills (dear god, the drama people drag you into in this game seriously makes you feel like an actual politician when ur in a leadership role),
    there's strategy games like battle of polytopia and plague inc there as well
    and even simple graphics games like survive-wilderness survival and dungeon survivor 2 can make you think about conservation and inventory management

if ur worried for children being neglected, that's just a shit parent problem and in no way does it have anything to do with mobile games.
    shit parents can leave their kids watching tv or play on the computer/consoles 24/7 and it'd be the same thing

if ur worried that there isn't enough mentally stimulating games on mobile, then have them play brain training games on their phone instead of other things. there's a lot of them out there like luminosity, neuronation, elevate. they have variety of mentally engaging mini-games to keep your brain healthy. i've tried them out and i can definitely feel the strain after too much time on them.

you can even have them learn languages on mobile! a co-worker of mine installed duolingo on mobile for her daughter when she found me using the app.

if you don't know, your phone can be considered as a portable learning device now and brain training and language games are a great use to pass time while you're away from your PC.

MarshmallowAddiction and Wing0 like this.
  17. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Ug, I'm showing my age lol. I remember a time when all tablets had a stylus slid into a slot at the side lol.

18. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    i have a DS and PS1 emulator on my phone. So technically I am playing phone games often

19. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    with the money the companies getting out of mobile games i doubt it would be enough for children to spend their pocket money on the games until all that kids got billionairs as parents ...
    from what i heard its mighty in asia , mainly china probably even more commuters play mobile then kids
    gaming women are quite often mobile gaming seemingly with other interests then men

20. primaryweapon

primaryweapon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This went from:

1. Mobile games - which are, as many have said, which are just games for a different platform and depending on what phone and software you have your genres you play shrink or expand.

2. Raising slave minded kids - @DiabolicGod not to insult you but do you have kids? I agree with a few comments that we've been playing mindless games since the beginning of games, does any one remember Pong? (I was raised in the 90's btw).

3. Big Bad Scheme of Mobile Games - There's nothing wrong with paying for more content though you buy the next game in a series you love so whats the difference when you're buying new content to keep up with the latest trend in mobile games micro-transactions are mainly devious when they have people pay for things that should be available regardless but I do miss the good old days when you had to do specific task to unlock specific characters in fighting games (sigh).

Also do we really need to blame games for the behavior of children? Without stepping outside of my boundaries I'd like to say "parents just need to be parents" when it comes to teaching kids differences in reality.

4. @asriu - ..............anybody else scared of them?

5. History of Mobile Tech - Why did we visit this aisle in the old man time's department store?

lol this is why I enjoy and need to get more involved with this community you guys are great.