LCD Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shield Loyalist, Jul 4, 2018.

1. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1-200 were definitely the best parts of the novel(at least in my opinion).
    201-300 was when I could see a little quality drop but it wasn't that bad
    301-400 were a chore to read, but it was alright, I guess. At this part the novel felt like a slog and the banter isn't all that fun. It was basically Yoo Jounghyuk wanting to kill the mc and loving him. Rinse and Repeat.
    401-516 was when the novel got interesting enough for me to not drop it, but it wasn't as good as 1-300. The last 10 or so chapters were really good though, the authors really did something unexpected which I found pretty impressive. As not a lot of authors would be willing to do the same thing.
    517-551 these were the epilogue chapters, and this was the part of the novel I really hated. It legitimately felt like a slap to the face. It was basically the authors backtracking the ending/basically them reversing the decision that they made at the end of the main story. It really rubbed me the wrong way since I personally really loved the ending to the main story.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Xi-hime likes this.
  2. Baby yoda_002

Baby yoda_002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah~ i've read this novel.. And i really like (Yoo jounghyuk xKim Dokja) ship:blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed:

Ylang Ylang likes this.
  3. Rune_Seeker

Rune_Seeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two weeks ago, I gave the webtoon of ORV a shot and finished it in two hours(31 chps) And two weeks later i finished the novel and i have to say, I love it and i just came here to say that.

Thank you authors and translators this was a novel a "reader" has enjoyed and loved...

"Now to read it again so it can become something new"

4. apaulose

apaulose Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure he does get that but he also gets a speed reading ability so he can look through it quickly along with a couple of other things. His main ability is an incredible knowledge of the world hence the title. It's been pretty long since I read some of the novel but I just recently started reading the webcomic adaptation so my memory has been refreshed. I feel like there used to be more translated chapters of the novel out but maybe I'm just just remembering it wrong.

Volublekoala965 and GonZ555 like this.
  5. Ylang Ylang

Ylang Ylang Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeh same, especially with the kids, he's now somewhat a dad of two kids.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  6. Ylang Ylang

Reading List:
    Link
    "The Demon King of Salvation was just a superficial being who fortunately rose to the status of a constellation." I think at that time, wasn't the Dokgak dokkaebis restraining all his stats to have a fair fight with the zodiacs lower constellation? Later on when he fight with 'real' god constellations even though they're the same narrative-grade, you'll see him struggle very badly because he's just a normal talentless human with a superficial title/ borrowing powers, stories and skills from others that's not his own. He won so far it's only because of his planning scheming abilities, how he manoeuvre the plots and trick everyone plus a bit of luck. He always use his mind to fight, not so much raw power and talent like Jonghyuk so it wasn't wrong to say he was just lucky that things went his way
    [the upper forces helping him/ is on his side]
    so far to get a narrative-grade status and not die so he can't really act impetuously like the others. At the end he's just a normal office worker that is a reader (a thousand books cannot surpass a thousand li) inside a normal 28 yo talentless human incarnation body, a fake is a fake but that's why I love it too, it just shows how cunningly smart he is on the inside who acts only for the bigger picture, unlike most isekai or shoujo mc resembling Jonghyuk more.
    "Only men are described as attractive, handsome, and hot, while women are almost completely ignored." I think it's just Dokja describing how the author of 'Three Ways to Survive in a Ruined World' described other characters using Yoo Jonghyuk, "Slap Yoo Jonghyuk face twice" for the cute trans-female Hayoung and "Slap Yoo Jonghyuk face thrice" for the mysterious girl 'Punisher.' Dokja said Heewon (in earlier chaps when one of the kings would make beautiful people as his concubine and ugly ones as slaves, he teased her that it's gonna be dangerous for her bc she's pretty bleh bleh), Sangah, the King of Beauty sth (even though he ended up saying that she's not any prettier than Sangah at the end), 41st Yoosung and Seolhwa the ex (pale face, slender body, silver hair, red cherry lips) are beautiful but he described Sooyoung looking like a pubescent boy (I think he's just joking). Yeah although Dokja talks about Jonghyuk a lot, more girls were described than boys.
    But your right, i want to see more of the protagonist's sister, she seem to matter a lot to him but was cast aside the whole time. What happened to her while he's running around? Babysitter? Relative? Who's looking after her? The Ex too, if they're not together just tell us that but the author seem to want to keep it ambiguous or sth. And it seems fast because of the excessive conflicts/sub-plots, there were very little time for a slow down, full explanation and rest.
    But i don't know maybe it's because I'm trash for apocalyptic plots but i love it, the Earth Arc were my favorite and i don't mind the relationship development between Dokja and Jonghyuk, I find it cute and they seem to be very compatible too. I don't mind if it's straight, gay or lesbian as long as it doesn't seem force and both characters have chemistry.

Please recommend some good or similar apocalyptic novels.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  7. Ylang Ylang

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone explain? Did he changed his sex or sth?:eek::oops:

[[[Yoo Jonghyuk said this and thought he was somehow talking like Kim Dokja. He didn’t originally talk this way. Maybe he was influenced while they were together. The Breaking the Sky Sword Saint sighed at her silent disciple. “Were you originally so talkative? It won’t be easy. You should’ve seen from the previous round that the Breaking the Sky Swordsmanship wasn’t originally for men.”
    Yoo Jonghyuk also knew it. That’s why it was very difficult to learn the skills of the Breaking the Sky Sword Saint in the past. However, this time was different.
    “The problem of gender can be resolved to some extent.”
    “What does that mean?”
    [The constellation who likes to change sex is snorting.]
    Yoo Jonghyuk frowned at the indirect message. Complex emotions and enormous anger rose every time he thought about it but he had to take advantage of everything he could.
    “It is time to wrap this up.”
    After a while, the astonished Breaking the Sky Sword Saint’s mouth dropped open. Yoo Jonghyuk took out his sword with a blank expression.
    “You can never tell that guy out there.”]]]

[[[A dazzling aura burst from Yoo Jonghyuk’s body. Soft hair poured down like a waterfall while his large size became a smaller and sleeker body. He took the form that allowed him to practice the ultimate Breaking the Sky Swordsmanship. Yoo Sangah stared at the scene from behind and couldn’t help opening her mouth. “…Yoo Jonghyuk-ssi?”
    Yoo Jonghyuk slowly turned back, his long hair cut off by the Black Demon Sword. The ines of the face had changed but it was clearly Yoo Jonghyuk. No, it was even more than before. Yoo Jonghyuk’s gaze stayed on Kim Dokja’s face for a moment.
    “Take him away.”]]]

8. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/regressor-instruction-manual/
    According to the NU recommendations, the synopsis, and the reviews this is the story closest in setting to ORV. The difference though - here the protag (of the story we read) is kind of a scumbag, but a good one, lol. In comparison, in ORV scumbag is MC who is not MC.

There is also Dungeon Crawler Carl on RR (now the beginning isn't available there, but you always can find all the chapters with google) which has the same premise of aliens taking over Earth.

Ylang Ylang likes this.
  9. Ardna

Ardna [Avid slacker]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess so. That's the most possible explanation. As a man he couldn't acquire breaking the sky sword art, at least before becoming transcender of formidable power.

I read the novel quite long ago, so I don't remember details, but when I had read this part I got the feeling that Yjh is that swordmaster (mysterious woman in hood/cape or something) which Dokija wanted to recruit in demon Realem (demon King election arc) and was so beautiful that could "slap yjh cheeks several times".

Anyway these are some shady yjh's secrets that were never explained properly.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Ylang Ylang likes this.
  10. TehGodofDoooom

TehGodofDoooom Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

Not to mention the part when Dokja was trying to watch the competition at the gourmet association. The announcer had called out "Breaking the Sky Beauty" and Yoo Jonghyuk wanted Biyoo to cut Dokja's broadcast during the duel. This almost confirms that he temporarily became a girl, to unleash the true strength of the Breaking the Sky swordmanship.

11. phantomreader

phantomreader Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, Yoo Jonghyuk didn't change his gender. At least, not willingly. If you go back a few chapters, you would notice that Yoo Jonghyuk made a deal with a certain constellation in order to survive after encountering Asmodeus. That constellation is later revealed as 'the constellation who likes to change gender' and that explains why upon meeting Kim Dokja, Yoo Jonghyuk said that he 'needs to disappear for a set duration amount of time every day' for some time (obviously because he preferred to keep the fact to himself).

If you pay closer attention, Yoo Jonghyuk's arrival in the industrial complex coincides with the time when the famed 'Punisher' beauty made her appearance. When Kim Dokja met the Punisher, it was directly after Yoo Jonghyuk 'disappeared for the day' (she mysteriously threw a murderous glare at Kim Dokja and it was stated that she felt somewhat familiar to him) and the next time Kim Dokja saw Yoo Jonghyuk, he noticed his boots were dirty and it seemed he had been somewhere, but the novel narrative doesn't explain more about this. Then when Kim Dokja told him about the Punisher, asking if they could get her help in the coming Demon King Selection, Yoo Jonghyuk firmly refused her recruitment, claming it was impossible.

On several following occasions throughout the Demon King Selection arc, it was revealed that Yoo Jonghyuk apparently changed gender for a certain amount of time (i.e. the scene that was quoted by Ylang Ylang, the battle between Yoo Jonghyuk and constellation 'Brash Swamp Predator', the battle against the nebulae following the Demon King Selection competition).

Thus though not directly stated, it was quite strongly implied that throughout the particular arc, Yoo Jonghyuk changed gender for a set amount of time every day as a result of his deal with 'the constellation who likes to change gender' (aka Loki) and he was actually the famed beauty -- the Punisher. This deal ended up helping him in his mastery of Breaking the Sky Swordmanship, which is originally meant for women.

There are actually a lot of implied facts like this throughout ORV. It seems to be the author's preferred style of writing for this work. Perhaps the author believes this way of carrying the story complements Kim Dokja's character personality as the novel narrative is written from Kim Dokja's first person point-of-view. It serves a challenge to the readers, but if you manage to catch on to these antics, ORV becomes quite an enjoyable read.

I see several comments in this discussion pointing out faults within the story and I would like to say that there is quite a complex element of worldbuilding in the 'Ways of Survival' universe. Certain events and outcomes came about due to relatively abstract concepts like the probability and the 'will of the Star Stream' which may be confusing to read. Understanding of these concepts would increase only as you read on, and eventually the ending of this novel explains why the storyline is as such.

Honestly, I personally think ORV's greatest weakness is not a plot tendency or anything, but that it has a rather complex concept and perhaps the way the story is delivered may not sufficiently explains it to all readers.

On a separate note, I would like to add to this somewhat lengthy rant (sorry) that in defense of KDJxYJH relationship, it is not necessarily BL (depends on how the readers view it, I suppose). But just consider the fact that Kim Dokja has actually been looking up to Yoo Jonghyuk every single day for thirteen years of his depression-laden life. To him, the man was his father, his brother, and his oldest friend. Whereas to Yoo Jonghyuk, Kim Dokja actually means a lot (can't say, spoilers here). Regardless of whether their relationship is romantic in nature, I would say it is natural that they care for each other.

missluna, Kuroyuki92, Kansuou and 7 others like this.
  12. Ashuu

Ashuu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pls I beg of you to tell me what the hell happened after the last sentence on the last chapter. I'm basically dying over here with my inability to control my curiosity. Please tell me if Kim dokja returned and how. I know that the author left it out so that each reader would think of their own conclusions but I don't want that. Pls tell me the ending you deduced.

Asami likes this.
  13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My interpretation is that the you, the reader of ORV, is Kim Dokja who has finally learned of the true epilogue of his own story. Alternatively, Kim Dokja wakes up after all the other portions of his soul read ORV and they all live happily ever after.

14. RedHead

RedHead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's actually pretty nice.

15. Jamie050428

Jamie050428 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiii translatior! I just finished chapter363 and I reallyreally can’t accept the fact they are using missandmister for calling them. But I saw that you will remain original ssi on the forum. And I saw you changed coin into coin into moolah right? It’s really weird hiahiahia.or did you change back in the future chapter? Cause I haven’t read the future chapter and I’m a little sad of the changes.last!!really the last. I saw 364 beginning kdj saying bloody hell....really?
    He’s a Korean and he said this? Lastly, really thank you for picking up omn reader❤️

16. A_Passing_Wanderer

A_Passing_Wanderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is, there was a Webnovel mandate that said the titles/honorifcs needs to be westernised. Can't remember exactly when that rule passed, though. Although, it's not strictly enforced the last time I checked so I guess it's really up to the translator's discretion at the end of the day.

I don't remember this. Maybe the character involved was saying something in slang and I was trying to get the meaning across? Probably.

I normally don't resort to cursing in translated chapters if I can help it, so if the MC said that, then the raw must've said it. BTW, I speak British English, so "bloody hell" feels more natural to me than "damn it". My quirk, I guess.

You're welcome. (y)

Jamie050428 likes this.
  17. demonicangelnim

demonicangelnim New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi translator! I finished the novel a while ago and only now realized this thread exists... but I just wanted to ask about the name changes; Like I understand the proper way to romanize is important and stuff and there's the whole Jonghyeok/Jonhyuk thing which I'm fine with but I feel like changing the names just like that in the middle of the novel was a bit weird? I got to that part and had to spend 50 chapters barely knowing what was happening and not enjoying it at all because I never knew who was who because my brain didn't automatically recognize the new names as what I was familiar with. It's just an association thing; over 300 chaps of this specific character or thing being associated with this specific term or name and now I'm meant to rewire my entire brain? It's especially annoying on rereads because then I have to yo-yo back and forth.

Same with the stories/fables thing, I get that the literal translation "fables" might be better but you do have to account for localizations no? Stories and fables imply different things and I feel like, in English, "stories" fits the context of the story and sounds less... tryhard? A lot of the naming schematic changes was just very jarring for me; I get there's some etiquette and rules on this kind of thing and accuracy is important but at least in terms of names and some of the more prolific and long-established terms (like "stories" or some of the modifiers that you changed), changing it halfway thought without at least also retroactively changing it for the rest of the novel before it is maybe worse than just breaking a couple of romanization rules or being a little less than literal or whatnot. If I wanted purely literal, I would have gotten the Korean raws and stuck them in Papago or Google Translate.

All that being said, tysm for picking up the novel and translating it regardless. It may have taken me a while but I did eventually manage to get somewhat used to all the changes (doesn't stop me from being annoyed tho) and I appreciate your attempts to make it more accurate to the source even if I'll grumble about the name and term changes for probably ever.

18. ayami123

ayami123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    any complete spoiler on what happened in the ending ?
    for the MC and Co ?

19. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s an open ending.

Asami likes this.
  20. BabyOtter

BabyOtter Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi so I just finished this and I just wanted to say I wished Author-nim put more chapters on KDJ and Persephone/Hades. I thought they were gonna be one of those important side characters with them being prophesized parents and all.

Also I felt for that 2nd protagonist, that really pretty guy who fanboys Demon King of Salvation alot. He just went poofed in the middle of the Goof vs Evil fight then just appeared here and then towards the end.

Oh yeah, the book said there were 3 protagonist, YJH, pretty guy from demon world, aaand who was the other one?

Asami likes this.