Discussion How much are you willing to pay for your games?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by LivingCorpse, Apr 23, 2021.

?

How much are you willing to pay for games?

1. >100$

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. 90$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 80$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 70$

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 60$

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. 50$

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. 40$

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  8. 30$

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. 20$

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  10. 10$

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  11. Free to play is the best way to pay

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  12. No need to buy games if you are a pirate Yarrr!

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's good, I'll buy the game at launch. Since I neither drink nor smoke, I just spend my money on games.

2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of devs even support piracy when their games are unavailable or stupidly overpriced in a certain country. I think it's an old fashion mentality where people think each pirated copy is a lost sale. There's tons of things people pirate that they would never buy if they couldn't pirate. There's also a decent chunk of people who use piracy as a way to see if they like a game before dropping their hard earned money on it. I think the point is if your service is good, piracy isn't even really an issue because people who can buy will buy and people who can't afford to buy wouldn't have bought anyways.

Not to mention there things are much worse than piracy in the gamesphere.... with sites like G2A asking devs to pay them money so they get "protection" from getting backcharged when stolen credit card owners backcharge game keys bought with a stolen credit card that was bought on their website. At that point, G2A is basically a yakuza or mafia group, and this backcharging often hurts the most financially vulnerable devs the most. Unfortunately laws haven't caught up to the rapid pace the games industry has changed so we end up with situations like this.

Anyways, I got a bit off topic, but yea each pirated game doesn't equal a lost sale, there's very little damage if at all done to devs, it's not really a realistic issue that needs moral crusading for. Just make it annoying to pirate and easy to buy.

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    In American dollars or in whatever equivalent in your country currency I guess. I just use US dollars since it's the standard currency when buying stuff online.
    I miss the days when every games release a demo version so that customer can try their game and see whether they like it. Nowadays I have to wait for the Pirated version to comes out to try whether I like it or not.

I dodged a lot of bullet by doing this kind of thing. Ain't no way I'm going to spend 50$ on some broken ass shitty games that I play for some hours and can't refund because I play 1 minute past of the steam refund policy.

4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    The amount of full priced launch date priced games i've bought in the last... 6 years could probably fit on my digits with room to spare.

That's not to say I don't buy games, I just haven't found that many games that i'm willing to pay full price for, I used to just wait until winter or summer steam sales and buy most then. Since last year though, i've started buying way more games though, but they're generally anything from 40-80% off, or usually below 20 or 30 euros.

5. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm willing but my wallet isn't.

AliceShiki and Napelynn like this.
  6. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i want to support the game devs and give them all the money i can (especially when i really get into indie games), but sadly, i'm poor as dirt and will only buy them when they're greatly discounted

7. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    I would only pay the full price of games I really want, if not then I would wait till it's half off or close.

8. Feralis

Feralis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you mean US dollars?

9. NumbaWon

NumbaWon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Game prices actually haven't changed if you take inflation(and their increased budgets) into account. Like a first party video game in the 90s was $60 back then and most AAA games are still $60 30 years later. Considering inflation and how it takes so much more money to make video games and you get way more features back, I think $60 is a fair price point(though I understand that $60 can be a lot of money for many people). That's why I personally, even though I can afford it, rarely buy games on launch and just wait until its on sale to play it, unless its like a major nintendo title.

10. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Canadian dollars?

11. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well you would have a point if the games were still comparable. back then the games had to be done - day 1 fix of 60gb or more ? dream on ...
    also add ons/dlc dont feel like it they often seems to be intentional cut game content to sqeeze some extra 30-40 $ here and there (mass effect andromeda anyone?) or think about anthem a broken mess they didnt fixed until its now to vanish ~ 2 years after release i guess anyone that bought some pre order super godlike collecters edition would be really happy.
    Another prominent case would be fallout they failed to fix the game but added so many schemes to milk the poor fools playing their game
    there hardly is any shame remaining stopping publishers from releasing games realisticly still stuck in alpha/ perhaps early beta stage and if your lucky they stick around until you get something that might count as a proper release might be just the question if you get there for free or if they want you to spend another 60-100$ for it on the way

than there are the annual cash grabs wasnt there take2 nba games where they copy& pasted the previous years game and just changed some names ?

so the prices are relative anyway
    70$ for standard version on release, collectors/special/preorder/whatever up to 120$ seasonpasses up to 40$ each and if your unlucky you like games like fifa so you could spend far more on the card packs

so some games from small independant devs sold for 20-30 $ might give you the best bang for your buck

12. Khaos-Thanathan

Khaos-Thanathan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm comfortable with spending 20 to 30 EUR on games nowadays. That sum doesn't make me feel bad if the game turns out to be disappointing later on. I'm willing to pay more if the game is good and if there's a lot of content. The GOTY of Witcher 3 is probably worth 100 EUR in that regard while I'd probably only wish to pay 30 bucks for the latest Ubisoft shenanigans.

To the pricing-discussion of the posts above: I do believe that games could be cheaper nowadays - the "base game" anyway. A lot of games are released in an unfinished state nowadays anyway and there's often a lot of monetization involved. People - and greedy publishers - also seem to forget that the audience is vastly larger nowadays and that distribution/publishing is much cheaper due to digital distribution. Another factor is the quasi-death of the used-games-market - there's a reason why Gamestop is dying after all.

13. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    one of my last great investments was anno 1800 with the content of the first 2 season passes for 35€
    supersales and events might be our friends

gog.com allows you access to some nice games rather cheap
    and epic game store might offer 5-6 really nice games among their freebies per year
    (last years for example: pillars of eternity, elite dangerous, gta5, ark. borderlands2 + pre sequel with all addons, cities skylines, darkest dungeon , dungeons 3, galactic civ III, hitman, killing floor2, metro 2033 redux, metro last light redux, rage2 , remnant from the ashes, rollercosater tycoon3, civ 6, star wars battlefront 2, stranded deep, surviving mars, the long dark, tropico 5, watchdogs2 etc)

14. Feralis

Feralis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the point, American dollars is misleading. In the American continent there's more than one country that use dollars.

15. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Overpriced doesnt cut it. Some of the rare games go for 100+ dollars. There is absolutely zero reason to buy the old console games except for your physical collection. Almost all emulators give you better experience then the native console anyways.

16. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    Fine, alright, I'm talking about US dollars

17. Khaos-Thanathan

Khaos-Thanathan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The F2P-mentality is stupid (and not just because of the excessive monetization/P2W that's usually involved with F2P models) - and it's quite disturbing that F2P and pirating are the most popular choices. Developing and marketing games costs money. Devs and Co. need some income to live too after all. What people should argue about is what's a fair price nowadays and here - contrary to publisher propaganda - you could argue for a cheaper price due to vastly higher profit margins because of digital distribution, a vastly larger audience and the death of the used games market.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2021
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    People that love F2P and piracy are the people without much or any spending money... Like, kids, teenagers and stuff, which are the biggest chunk of the market.

If you can't afford buying a game, you're not a customer. But... If someone still wants to play anyways, then they will either go for F2P alternatives or for piracy.

It's not disturbing, it's just natural. You can only buy games if you have money to buy games. You don't see working adults being crazy on the F2P hype or looking everywhere for ways to pirate their games... They can just afford to spend some cash on it.

19. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I can afford to buy games and I do but I still like playing F2P games sometimes. There's a lot of free multiplayer F2P games and playing with a lot of acquaintances is obviously a lot more fun....

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i can spend up to $60 for a game before, but now i usually pick F2P or pirated stuff:blobhero:
    too many things i need to get now, so spending money for this is the -nth number on my list
    need to use $$$ on stuff like mortgage or mortgage or mortgage !!!

P.S. : Games is not my first choice for entertainment, not anymore