Question Are 'hero' mc's too overrated these days?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Soulblade831, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that strange that people like heroes in general... I dunno about you, but I consider myself a good person... And guess what? The people I want to surround myself with are also good people.

Is it really that surprising that when I strive to be good, and want to be close to good people, that I want to read about good people too? I don't want to read about someone whose morals I disagree with, it would be an unlikable protagonist, the kind that would kill my whole enjoyment of the novel.

I want to be able to read and relate to the protagonist's struggles. I don't mind them being somewhat selfish, willing to put their interests first and stuff... But I can't read a story about someone that actively harms others to get what they want, that's just wrong to me, I can't accept nor agree with this kind of character.

I can understand a character that kills to protect the ones they love, or that kills bandits to get money... But I would never be able to read about a protagonist that destroys a city filled with innocents to get revenge on someone. That's just disgusting to me.

And well, I think most people feel the same... There is a limit to how much a character can stray from the reader's own morals before they can no longer stomach reading the book. Of course different people have different limits, but a main character that easily categorized as evil certainly won't attract many people's love.

2. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, he's just not a genocidal maniac with face-slapping and harem-seeking as his only personality trait. Compared to you, I love my protagonists 3 dimensional.

3. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't necessarily mind villain protags, but that is mainly when they are properly treated as villains by the author and actually suffer the consequences of their actions just like any other villain that isn't a protagonist.
    If it is just a story that fetishizes mass murder then no thanks, I would then much rather read about a impossibly pure and good character even if the ideal would be something in between.

AmethystCherry and AliceShiki like this.
  4. Soulblade831

Soulblade831 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Excuse me, actually I DO NOT LIKE HAREM PROTAGONISTS OR FACE SLAPPING ONES THANK U VERY MUCH. More like robotic(emotionless) ones who are actually more realistic (as in care about benefits and not saving people for no GOD DAM REASON) and no harems, instead kill them ;). Read reverend insanity to know what im talking about.

U say u like 3 dimensional characters but...then why do u like Rimuru. He's the definition of GENERIC (in JP media anyway). He is Kind to all even if it dont benefit him, and stupid (has a lot of power but dont use it for his own gain like ruling the world or something) and merciful. Spoilers maybe.....how he gets suddenly attacked by demons but then defeats them but instead of killing them (self defense), he's all like "Lets talk, not fight" like a dam sissy.
    Sorry about that, I was ranting a bit their

5. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    So what you're saying is robotic personality + likes to kill = 3 dimensional?
    I'd kindly disagree but ok
    I believe Otaku31's reply already explained it. I'd prefer characters who can be selfish when necessary and can be generous to others if it's no loss to them. You said he's generic, but how many characters like him who would be kind and merciful usually, yet would choose to massacre thousands of soldiers (and even consider killing the kingdom's citizens) if it meant ressurecting his friend (Shion)? Compared to other JP protags, he clearly has a moral compass, yet if others chose to cross his bottom line, he would be extremely ruthless.
    Implying that kindness is a bad trait which is actually not. Plus, even if he was kind, like I said, there's no loss.
    Ironically, it's usually those typical overpowered MC that always choose to rule the world....and for what? What was the reason? The motivation?
    Who would want to do something so tedious as to rule a whole world, when you already have the power to do whatever you want and free yourself from any responsibilities?
    Did you even care why he would do that? Instead of doing things for no reason (killing), wouldn't a more intelligent and common-sensical thing to do is find out why someone would be attacking you, and get more information about it?

Tbh, I also like selfish and emotionless protagonists, I mean I love Shi Sheng from Side Characters Transmigration for a reason. But there's also something about her which makes her human and vulnerable.

Not like all these average chinese webnovel MCs who have a personality of a peanut and only has "killing" as their character trait. Whenever I read something like those, i'm like:
    [​IMG]

Delerator and AliceShiki like this.
  6. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    < The goody self righteous MC heroes makes me puke.

< Evil MC it gets boring fast.

Chaotic Neutral is the way

sonhot and Aer like this.
  7. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    You say you can't find mc who are not good??? Just pick up any random cn cultivation novel you'll find it......
    As for evil... Well I don't like any mc who commits mass murder for no apparent reason I do like Fang Yuan..... But he's not a person to do thing which he desires, he's rather a person who's extremely rational and do whatever necessary to achieve his final goal... And that's the type of evil characters I like.
    To me the best evil mc would be... He has a specific goal.. doesn't commit mindless slaughter for no apparent reason and isn't a h**ny beast who can't hold their **** in after seeing a woman... And actually that type of character who indulge in their beastial desires aren't any different from a mindless animal... Cuz what's the difference between them and a wild beast??? An evil character should have a firm goal and believe which can't be swayed no matter what and only then it'll be interesting .... And most importantly they shouldn't have any friends or family, cuz that just feels hypocritical... And if the mc is evil for just being evil then that's a bs story for me... Cuz I don't have to waste my time reading that type of novel,I can imagine that type of story myself.
    Actually good written evil mc are hard to find... For me at least..
    Ai but good natured mc can also be a pain sometimes... Tho I don't mind if it's story like Lotm......
    But I hate it when a good natured main character question others believe and think that their believe is true ..... But in lotm there's not a single scene like that and that's the reason I like that story.... Actually I don't read novels which have a good natured mc that much as it feels too much annoying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.