Discussion Reading tragedies is self-torture

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bad Storm, Apr 25, 2021.

?

Do you read tragedies?

1. Yup

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Nope

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Never!

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. *lie down in silent pain*

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nagisa11

Nagisa11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    to me I’ll classify goodnight punpun on torture, torture, a tragedy that’s whole purpose is to be torture. A bunch of trash, it took me forever to get into the series cause how people were like the manga is gonna give you depression but what it gave was a headache and I had to stop rolling my eyes.

to you, immortal is phenomenal, an anime was recently aired. I’ll one day watch it. It’s a phenomenal series lol.

I no longer consider what I read tragedy but rather torture lol. But yeah good advice

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I never got the same feeling with news. I remember a quote, it's like about how killing one person is murder, while killing millions is simply statistics.

3. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, and the tears just won't come out at all if you're reading MTL (I tried) :blobjoy:

I've also gone to sad reddit threads, stalked the heavy angst tag in AO3, and checked out summaries/spoiler threads for infamous & not-yet-completely-translated stories before. Sometimes we just need a good cry, right? :blobmelt:

(I once went to work with completely puffy eyes after going to that sad reddit thread a few hours before, and I don't think my coworkers believed me when I told them the reason. :blobsweat_2:)

Bad Storm likes this.
  4. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I still remember the first time I read One Lifetime. I was commuting home... Pre-covid times. My commute usually takes 1-2 hours.... Tried hard not to cry :blobrofl:

iampsyx likes this.
  5. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    you need a time and place to read tragedy. Prepare your heart and your tears. Thats what I usually do before I read tragedy novels lol but after crying it feel really satisfying (unless its a BE novels then there no satisfaction)

Bad Storm likes this.
  6. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Most tragedy leaves an empty feeling. Even if the story was resolved well (even if it didn't end well), there's this tinge of "is that it? can't they have a better ending? author-sama... whyyyy?"

7. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good tragedy is very satisfying, but in the way that natsume142 said above: you feel satisfied after crying. In good tragedy, the ending is inevitable. It shouldn't be a surprise what's going to happen. You know. Like in a horror movie when you're like "No, don't open that door!" but you know they will, and you just have to watch. It's suspense generated through dramatic irony, when the reader or audience knows something the characters don't.

We see the character, because of some character flaw like hubris or greed or jealousy or the thirst for revenge or whatever, forge the path toward his own doom, and we want to say "Turn back now before it's too late!" but we know it's already too late. The character can't hear us, and if he could he wouldn't heed our call. His flaw keeps him heading down the path to destruction, and when iit finally happens, that cathartic release of emotion is intense and satisfying. The story feels complete, like feeling full after a good meal. That intense emotion is because you know it didn't have to happen that way, the character could have avoided disaster if they had changed their ways.

If the ending comes out of left field or doesn't feel complete or resolved in some way, then that's just bad tragedy. But good tragedy, *chef's kiss*.

8. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I always assumed the tragedy tag just meant "MC's entire family died" or "main love interest died". I guess there were a few cases where it just meant the MC suffers from years of abuse, but usually things seem to fall into those few categories.

9. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragedies are supposed to be stories when the main character is brought to ruin or something similar. I was always under the impression that even if the mc's family died, as long as it was a happy ending, it's not a tragedy and more like melodrama.

10. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    I read by accident then if its good one, I will continue to read it even if it's painful.

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than a melodrama that would make it more of a tragicomedy, a blended genre that still might deserve the tragedy tag.

12. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Okieee, thank for pointing it out. It was my rough definition haha.

13. Arrynne

Arrynne 『Bubo scandiacus』『Owl in NEED of Saving』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I have bad depression, so in my mind, reading tragedies will worsen the case... It makes no sense but that's how I feel.

14. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to applaud 14 year old me from finishing it until the end without issues afterward. If I read that manga now, I'd probably already given up halfway and lost motivation for a whole week. It's actually kind of funny and sad how I was mentally stronger before when I was younger, or maybe I was just ignorant. Idk. :blobneutral:
    Though Oyasumi Punpun is the kind of tragic story that doesn't make you cry but instead sucks the emotions out of you until you're only left with a husk of yourself.

15. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragedy novels??? Hm do you mean the novels where MC's parents and loved ones dies???
    I actually don't like them that much.....
    And I mostly read cn novels.... Where tragedy means one's whole family being killed.... Or loved ones dying
    But actually I don't like those novel that much... Cuz most of the times the relatives of the mc die just for MC's character development.... The side characters can't generate that much feelings towards them.... So I can't say I read tragedies.....
    But I do watch good tragic anime......

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reading some really dark and depressing stuff, but I always hope for a good ending or at least a lukewarming ending.

Not really fond of tragic endings in all honesty... They're kinda disappointing.

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. And sometimes, even though I'm reading tragedies, there's this little part of me that they would get a nice ending even though I know it won't happen. It was like watching a train wreck happening. I always get disappointed haha.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Dwarkin

Dwarkin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a self torture only if you are re-reading(watching) it. I enjoy tragedies, but, please, don't ask me to watch "Grave of the fireflies" for the second time. BTW, if you didn't watch it already - do it, I believe that every human should watch this masterpiece

God slayer likes this.
  19. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah ha bro I've watched that.....
    I've also watch a silent voice
    Your name
    I want to eat your pancreas
    Clannad after story
    Anohana the flower we saw that day.... And many more........
    Tho.........I don't find them torturing...... I just enjoy the story like any other anime..........

Dwarkin likes this.
  20. De Lan

De Lan Smartass from blue planet

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeahh sometime I also read tragedy to be like this and for other time if I don't know that's tragedy, like I dont really read the tags.
    The tragedy that I read mostly the troupe of regret when the MC die thoo, that's so satisfying to see the ML when that happens

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.