Feature Request Banning early reviews and voting

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by CaptainToast, Apr 24, 2021.

1. CaptainToast

CaptainToast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there any way that we can ban people from voting and reviewing until a story has progressed past a certain point?

Or at least have the system weigh reviews of people who are further in or have been posted more recently as heavier?

How anyone can review the first 1-10 chapters of a story that is over a thousand chapters long and think it’s accurate is obscene.

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I see it's pretty common for people to have read the raws, and then camp around on NU for some reason giving reviews for any new story that gets translated.

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like the same thing as this one: https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...novel-when-it-only-has-a-few-chapters.118774/

After some years, I realized this request isn't possible. Now imagine, a translator decided to only do 1 chapter of novels. They only do one chapter, one release, and drop it for anyone else to pick up. However no one picked it up even after years. So the novel page only have that one translated chapter, and no reviews because no one pick it up and didn't reach the required threshold so it can be reviewed.

4. CaptainToast

CaptainToast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That problem is solved in my initial post. Just weigh reviews that happen later on as heavier than ones that happen early.

That’s not the group of people I’m talking about though. Yes, some people do read the Rae’s and then review, but many others read a few chapters and than post saying it’s the best story ever or absolute garbage.

5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's not.

Both of these suggestions won't work because there is no "a certain point" or "further in" when there is only one translated chapter released and nothing else. Before you input the ideas about raw source, NU tracks translations. If there's a constant that's used to measure a threshold then it would be the translated chapters.

6. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I have definitely left early reviews for the following reasons
    • Already Read it | I have already MTL'ed the novel raws and/or read a lot of the webtoon series, so I leave early reviews despite TL chapters being very few
    • Novel Summary Sucks | I sometime leaves reviews early on because the summary makes no sense because it could be a vague one-liner or an abstract poem that has nothing to do with the story itself. So I feel early reviews are really helpful when the summary is just nonsense.
    • BS or trigger early in the story | I've also left negative reviews just based on reading BS in 10 chapters or less.

-- For a common example, if there is rape or ntr early on, I would not be surprised if ppl rated low & left a negative review. Like sometimes, people don’t tag that (often times very obscure or new novels don’t have tags ) and come across it and I think it’s very fair that reader is allowed to leave review about what they come across and that they didn’t like it from the get go, also rate it poorly.

Some other things I've noticed in community that can conflict with this, as OP doesn't have a set 'minimum required chapter' in order to rate & review:

• Some TL like early reviews | Some TL just only put out 1 chapter just to gauge if it's worth it to continue, and look at reviews/ratings/comments to see if it's worth it probably; so some TL do encourage their readers to leave early reviews (like 'if this novel get x amount of reviews, I'll post new chapter')
      So I feel that banning early review may conflict with TL's interest, if the TL did want early reviews & ratings.
    • Trial Reads | qi/webnovel trial reads usually only give out 20-40 free chapters. (I'm pretty sure lot of KR novels like on ridibooks have trial reads too but I don't remember the amount I think it's just like first 2 chapters for free? )
      So I sort of expect that those free chapters are suppose to entice readers to pay to read paywalled chapters and that people have an idea of just based on 20 chapters that the rest of the 1000+ paywalled chapters are worth it or not.. And usually QI only continues TLing a trial novel if there's interest so early reviews & ratings is good (though not applicable to NU in a sense, but I think it ties into the earlier point a bit, where early reviews are meaningful )

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  7. mimisansub

mimisansub Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    considering it doesnt appear to be possible to edit reviews (at least i havent been able to figure out how to do it yet), I definitely agree with this. I think it's silly that people leave 1 star reviews when the story is only 3 or 4 chapters in. At least wait until the first arc is over or something

8. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, you can edit reviews. Just find the review that you've posted. There should be an [Edit] under your avatar:
    upload_2021-5-7_20-54-30.png
    click on that, and you should be able to edit your review.

And, again, I am one of those people that reads raws sometimes, so I feel compelled to comment that just because only 3 or 4 chapters are translated doesn't mean the raters/reviewers only read 3 or 4 chapters (although you can check the status for a review).

Then again, there are some that really do rate off of less than ten chapters. If they do, it better be a good reason -- sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

Edit: Oh wait, oh wait. Did you guys wonder about this: what would happen to short stories and oneshots under this system? :blobrofl:

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can sort reviews by date, with newer reviews usually being made further into the novel. Which is pretty much what you're asking for already, when you think about it. You can sort by Likes, as well, which tells you which reviews people like and support the most. I'm not sure any other forms of sorting are really necessary. I also feel like trying to push down reviews made "too early" might be toeing the line on review censorship.

Y'know...

I don't leave many reviews, here or elsewhere, and the ones I have are usually positive. But I fully support someone's ability to leave a negative review after reading even a single chapter of a novel. If someone is put off from the first chapter and wants to review it, I think that's fine. Because I know I've made similar judgements countless times. I don't "tough it out" to 50 chapters before judging the novels I read - I make judgements three sentences in. I decide to keep reading or to stop every step of the way, from the first few chapters to the last. I have opinions from the very beginning. Everyone does.

And there's nothing wrong with sharing those opinions. That's what reviews are.

People see negative reviews as some sort of problem. They're too harsh. They're not fair. They were made too soon. They're illogical. They're not well written. They're not constructive. They make someone feel bad. They drag down the novel, put readers off.

I don't. Reviews are opinion pieces written by someone who wanted to tell others what they thought about the novel. Some of them didn't like it, and say as much. That's entirely acceptable. Criticize their taste, vocabulary and intelligence all you like, but never their ability to share their opinion.