Discussion What Got You Into BL?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 310942, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it was anime and K-pop. I'd have one huge crush on someone and I'd be so depressed over the fact that I could never have them. I remember telling myself, "I'd rather they end up with a guy than have them be with a girl :(." And...BAM! Doors to a new world opened up. I was enlightened. Midoriya and Uraraka? Nope. Midoriya and Bakugo (and/or Todoroki). Chanyeol and some random EXO-L? Nope. Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Taehyung and another celebrity? Nope. Tae and JK. Hinata and some other female Haikyuu character? NOPE! HINATA AND KAGEYAMA! I started to realize it was my way of coping with the fact that I can't have them, so I may as well ship them with a person who isn't female. I started getting into actual BL, Yaoi, and Shounen Ai. Thanks to CDAWGVA (AKA Yaoi Man) who gave me the push I needed. Oh, one exception is Levi Ackerman. I can't ship him with anyone, male or female. I love him too much

2. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember how...
    Without me knowing I suddenly like them? I think part of it because I was bored of typical BG shoujo manga and novel so I was looking for new things.
    I think it started from manga, two handsome guys are on it is so hot, such an eye candy I can't resist!!! The visual are better than BG definitely

3. SuouNono

SuouNono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly dont remember when? I think it was when I found out about one of the mlm ships in a book I read and coincidentally read a fanfic about them on tumblr lol

4. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    The want for a psychological mystery (or horror) series with some romance in it. Not too many in the BG genre.

I didn’t get into BL until I was an adult and just wanted variety with what I read for fun.
    I have so little time between work and school, the kindest thing I can do for myself is finding something interesting to read before bed.

However, it is interesting to hear someone using a genre as way to cope like that.

5. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just happened to read a BL QT novel and because I liked QT so much at the time, I liked BL very much too! :blobtaco:

6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really like shipping irl people.

I like bl because dem bishie and pecs.

7. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    "Because dem bishie and pecs." That killed me... The water I was drinking has become moisturizer for my nose. IT BURNS! ˚‧º·(˚ ˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅ )‧º·˚

8. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I accidentally watched BL not knowing it was one (Banana Fish), so yeah. You know what comes next.

9. minjung

minjung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no offense, i used to be disgusted by bl. even reading fanfictions of ships in kpop group disgusted me. then my friend suggested me a shounen ai manga, telling me to just try reading it. now, i prefer bl more than sl :))))

10. Txtlover

Txtlover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Found the meaning about homosexuality, thought it was disgusting and to get rid of my bias I tried reading novels with that as the main topic rather than searching the internet for actual facts and all of that.
    Now I enjoy it the most in all the genre I read and I am more open minded to love in general and people’s choice as a result.

Mr. Tired and hitmewithit like this.
  11. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was my bestfriend who introduced BL to me in when I was still in high school, she would recommend me to read/watch Junjo Romantica, Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Kire Papa etc. I tried reading Junjo Romantica first but oh boy, just the first chapters and there's already smut and I backed out real quick. I avoided them for a while, hahaha.
    I remember my friend gushing on about Yuuri x Wolfram and such from the Kyo Kara Maoh and just felt weirded out about it back then, but what really got me into BL is Sekaiichi Hatsukoi. It hooked me quite quickly and from then on my road to Yaoi/BL is embedded into my soul. :blobsmirk:

12. hitmewithit

hitmewithit Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fanfiction! I was a huge fan of Harry Potter and then I read drarry and that got me into the big wide world of BL

13. Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball

Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fanfiction then ori BL manga!!! I was in my junior high when I knew about BL and all the details. At first when I see my friend liking and gushing about BL anime, I feel weird. Then I read Naruto x Sasuke fanfic and surprisingly, I like it. I like the drama and people seeing Sakura as the villain or bestie. Then Boruto came and everything became different :blobsob:

14. Shunraiki

Shunraiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me tooo! I got hooked on sekaiichi hatsukoi and really love the second (or is it third?) Couple, kisa shouta and yukina kou, and back off really fast when i read the manga with all the smut, hahaha, how young(Should i say naive?) I was at that time.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  15. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Long, long ago, I had a PC at home but no Internet. I'd go to the Internet cafe and download manga page by page, save it on my 20 floppy disks and read at home. And once, by mistake, I saved a nasty, ugly-drawn dad/son prawn yaoi oneshot that burned my eyes. And the rest is history.

Okay, maybe I started a bit earlier than that when I was writing a DBZ fanfic that centered around Goku and Vegeta having to live together in a dog and cat-like dynamic. But I hadn't realized at the time why that appealed to me so much.

Stueck_Bacon likes this.
  16. Stueck_Bacon

Stueck_Bacon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was super obsessed with some youtubers, and then that pair of ytber read some bl fanfictions of them in a video and i,,
    went onto fanfiction.de (its like fanfiction.net just in german) to read more,,,,
    so yes thats how i found it, and got into it.
    but honestly, even if they never read that stuff on a video i wouldve 100% got into it in some other way,,,

17. Nana24

Nana24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was watching anime, and I'm interested in whether there is any short story about it, so fanfiction and ao3 attracted me and begins to read BG pairings until I've noticed there are actually BL pairings and started shipping. By the time I realised, I've already started reading BL mangas....
    Only these 2 years that I've started to read BL novels...
    Never ever realised that there were novels:notlikeblob:

18. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much abusive bg novels , mostly read good bg novels on nu and curiosity.
    I am into strong leads both mc and ml so I guess bl does have that thing going on compared to bg.
    Too tired of reading how soft and fragile fl is.
    Plus mls of bl novels are way better than bg ones like galaxies apart (at that time).

19. Josh1

Josh1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hi

just wanted to make my presence known

babybb likes this.
  20. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    It was because of the plot. I just got to the point where all I could find was an idiotic or 'innocent' mc. I couldn't stand it. I saw that the synopsis/description in a BL story was interesting so I read it. I was hook by their story and continued my BL journey

ianakitten73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.