Recommendations Any good suggestions for a fantasy novel?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Uselessdead23, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Uselessdead23

Uselessdead23 〘Dead but alive at heart〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Greetings, I'm looking for a great fantasy novel. I'm a picky reader ik.

If possible it would be the best if there's no romance/harem but I'll tolerate it if the female character/male or anything in between or beyond is greatly written and if there's is really a good logical reason behind it on why the characters is in love,
    But I want the main genre to be fantasy

A great plot is always welcome.
    I like an intelligent mc the most, it's ok for them to be quite stupid or dumb as long as they are going to improve then we're settle.
    I don't want a Mary Sue/Gary sue.
    I want them to have flaws and the CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AS THE STORY PROGRESS.

I don't mind if it don't have a great translation I can handle that much.

I simply do not care if it's a martial art/magic/isekai etc... As long as it have FANTASY, a great PLOT, Good Characters with flaws and development and have some depth on it. And of course what I like the most in a fantasy novel,
    THE WORLD BUILDING, - it's very important for me, I will absolutely love it if they really go in details about the world and how it works.

I also don't care about the pace of the story as long that it have anything that is written above, if it's finished, ongoing or discontinued.

That's all, if you have any stories that fits my description feel free and don't be shy to say it, please I'm begging you ༎ຶ‿༎ຶ,
    (Sorry for my english)

2. rk0015

rk0015 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uselessdead23 likes this.
  3. TywadS

TywadS Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a few recommendations:
    Lord of the Mysteries is obvious and I'm sure you've read but just in case you haven't, it's literally what you're looking for.
    Log of the Crazy Lich or something along those words, the start is a bit confusing but after the first arc is finished it's really enjoyable and well written.
    Nightfall, I've read this one recently and automatically became one of my favourites, there's no harem, I would argue that the side characters are better than the mc, it's got lots of interesting world building and politics also.
    My senior brother is too steady, the book is really well written but the translation is horrible. Luckily the book is good enough to overcome that flaw but I've been told that in Chinese the novel is incredibly rhythmic and poetic but the translation has none of that left. This book becomes comparable to Lord of the Mysteries in quality if you've read or know about the plot of journey to thw west since that is the universe the novel borrows.
    Yama Rising, this is a very good novel based in modern times with supernatural/fantasy elements. There's no harem or even romance as of yet but it is very enjoyable and well written also.
    Reverend Insanity is my personal favourite webnovel but i would only recommend it after you've read almost everything else since it's beginning is quite poor and it takes many existing tropes and turns them on their heads.
    Trash of the Counts Family, its very good and excels at foreshadowing and hype moments, the beginning is quite slow though.
    Those are the great novels I can recommend, if you've read all of them I could recommend some more mediocre ones for you

Despapa69 and Uselessdead23 like this.
  4. Napelynn

Napelynn Tuna Angel

Reading List:
    Link
  5. dreamdaisy

dreamdaisy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it is an American writer but why don't you try Brandon Sanderson's book? He is a great writer and genius. My favorite novel is The Way of the King.

If you want to read:
    - Amazing plot with a unique atmosphere
    - Character development with good characters
    - Real epic fantasy

Anyway, you should definitely read it. Just the first chapter is enough to see how amazing this author.

Uselessdead23 and TywadS like this.
  6. Uselessdead23

Uselessdead23 〘Dead but alive at heart〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much!, I have read half of what you recommend me, the Lord of Mysteries is in my list on what should I read next. Thanks again:>>

Thank you for that!!, I will check it, if it's really like what you are saying then, damn that's gonna be amazing.

7. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only recommend Lord of Mysteries, rest of the novel have not satisfied me in any way. Some novels have strong begginning but suck later on while some novels are there just to make up the numbers.

I am fairly disappointed now that i have nothing to read anymore in this site. I am not willing to read japanese novels so i think now is the right time to stop. Out of thousand novels i have read i can only recommend you some which i think can be recommended even though they are not the best

1. My House of Horrors (strong first 500 chapters and interesting plot after that okayish)
    2. Warlock of magus world & CPD ( breathe of fresh air as this is my first CN, you can imagine how i felt reading this after watching countless gary stue anime)
    3. Reverend Insanity (Ok novel, interesting power system but cliche cultivation world with fresh mc)
    4. Way of the Devil & Mystical Journey & Nightmare's call (exceptionally strong begginning, later turned into genric okayish novel)
    5. Ze Tian Ji & Nightfall (Pretentious and boring af but good world building and fleshed out characters)
    6. ISSTH&RI&Pursuit of truth (Great when i read back in the days but dont think so anymore)
    7. IeT novels (Okay novels+ rinse ond repeat, read all of them but DE was the best)
    8. Martial Arts Master (Normal romance novel with tournaments, well written and okayish)
    9.Release that Witch (Kingdom building but too genric setup and it just have too many ridiculous witches. World is small as well. Bs ending)
    10. Record of mortal's journey to immortality & Demon's diary & Zhu Xian (Well described cultivation world, logical mc, probably the only worth recommending cultivation novels)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  9. orangethegreatorange

orangethegreatorange Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. chillidude

chillidude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Sorcerer's Journey : Similar to warlock of the magus world, but the MC is not as evil, and the progression is slower.
    It is also known as A Wizard's Journey, here's the link to the raw's.

Grand Academy of Natural Science's : By the same author as A Sorcerer's Journey, currently ongoing with 840 Chapter's. Not translated yet so only raw's available. I Just started to read it so i cant really be sure about the plot, but so far at chapter 76, I've enjoyed it. It is a more through fusion of magic and science.

11. chillidude

chillidude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You may also like these.
    Original Wizard : Similar to Throne of magical arcane, but magic doesn't exist in world, only gods do. MC studies gods and their descendants and creates magic civilization from scratch.

I’m a God in Another World : MC finds out he can travel to another world from earth whenever he wants. He finds primitive people in other world who start to worship him. He starts to condense a Divine Shard in his body meaning he has the potential to be a God. He finds out that he can choose his own priest dome or create a new one that doesn't exist. He ends up creating one based on earth universe. He becomes strong in the other world and slowly creates cultivation techniques for earth as well. Similar to Shepherding humanity.

My Hair can create a Demon Civilization : Same author as Shepherding humanity, plot is very different but the main idea is very similar. Has not been translated yet, so only on raw's sites. MC gets a ship that can travel through time and space, and allowed him to mutate soul, his soul is very strong and can morph life code allowing him to create new species of creatures. Creates civilization in small space like a table or garden.

Creating a Sand table World : Author gets a sand table that only he can see and use. It allows him to interact with the real world. He can box off an entire part of the desert and turn it into a self contained world. He evolves ordinary humans at first, but later creates a magic civilization, cultivation civilization, moon elf's civilization, mars civilization.

Rebirth Dominator : This is a sequel story of Low Dimensional Game by the same author. The MC is from earth, he gets killed by someone but finds out he can travel back to the day he was killed. He is one of many time controllers, apparently these beings were born after the 'god' left the universe. The 'god' is the MC from Low Dimensional Game. Time controllers are naturally born in their own time space, they are born at level 9, and can create worlds. MC creates a cultivation world based on china's myth. He later on goes to the crystal wall universe from the first novel. Meets Catherine and other characters, finds out about his powers and about 'god'.
    Has not been translated yet so only raw's available.

The Great Creator : This is a very good web novel, the plot is very original. The writing style is similar to the author from low dimensional world. This author is a phd student, his written skills are very good, and when run on a MTL, translates in almost perfectly structured English. Only some names will be odd, but very few.
    The plot is very good.
    MC finds a mysterious book, the book takes him and his surrounding to a strange dark place. MC is stuck in this place for years. He later on goes to create life forms, and evolve life similar to humans, and demons. I don't want to mention too much, so i only wrote basic outline, the plot is very good, full of mystery and intrigue.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  12. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

I got a whole ass list on that ,
    https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/20556/

Also
    Desolada- royalroad
    Actually check my rr link as well in my sig for some good og stuff

My top 3 novels

- reincarnation paradise: fits ur entire description

-Reverend Insanity- amazing no words can describe this masterpiece

Ofc lotm but ur on it
    Like i said run tho the list i linked, it has good stuff like Soul of Negary and 48hours in a day and my house of horrers

I dont read gary sue shit, stray away from cliche plots and i dont like my male leads w romance or harem

Doomsday wonderlad-mc. A female. I dont really lile her the plot. God if only the mc was cold ruthless and badass and wasnt so ...naive. it wud be onpar w lotm

13. Feralis

Feralis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He is a Statunitian* author.

14. dreamdaisy

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it that important? He is from America.

15. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    Little Tyrant Doesn't Want A Bad End
    its pretty darn slow at the beginning (like first 50chapters or so) Romance is basically Secondary as he puts his goals first (finding out the mysteries about his family, the world) the world building is quite huge and there are a lot of legends/lore mentioned that seem useless info but later on it is used in the story) the romance is Haren though its not the usual, the girls are willing to stab each others back's to get advantage over the mc (mc knows about it though he can'y do anything much cuz the girls act that they get along in front of him when they're actually not)

Ending Maker

One Fl one Ml both are the protagonists, they get transported in the world in which was the setting for the game that the ML and FL was competing in their former world. A lot of tropes/ repetition though its pretty minor. Side Characters are very memorable, the author does a great job in using them in the story, they grow a lot in the course of the story not just the Fl and Ml. Romance cones at the later half stage and doesn't progress to them being lovers until the last 50 chapters or so.

16. Deleted member 318062

Deleted member 318062 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try the "Beginning After The End" it's plotline is really well-written and has some plot holes and not easy to know what's going to happen next so there's suspense you know? the characters are very important so remember them well, their background results in their usefulness.
    "Omniscient Reader" is also a very good novel, the MC has trauma and really has flaws and it shows it in the novel doesn't sugarcoat it. their teammates also add a sense of comradery throughout the novel : D

17. Feralis

Feralis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course is important, the term American used to refer to US only is wrong. Is appropriative. America is not a country, is a continent and all the countries and its citizens have the right to call themselves American without excluding others.

If you want to refer to USA only then please use Statunitian or Statian.

18. dreamdaisy

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know that. Thank you. So who is American, then?

19. AZ21

AZ21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kidnapped Dragons its the best fantasy i've read in a while, the MC need to keep 4 dragons happy, no romance so far, the MC have flaw to because he is already on his 7 iteration. world building its ok.
    sorry that i can't describe it clearly my english is not that good idk how to pick the words to describe it.