Discussion What is the Worst Life Advice You've Ever Been Given?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Halcyon Observer, Apr 26, 2021.

?

Are you currently hungry?

1. Yes.

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. No.

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. If I say yes, will you feed me cookies? (The answer is no.)

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep faith in God......
    And it's your life do whatever you want with it... Don't let your parents make decisions for you it's your life and you should only follow your personal choices..... I was 12 or 13 then act....(This one was a seriously retarded advise)

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    don't cry~
    oh go to hell with that advise, this cat will cry at da corner
    19649.png

its ok just just ask, hah~ back then on college practical assessment you know what those teacher not teach this cat? when you on situation no one around for you to ask.

the problem of communication with local people, the potential problem arise from wrong document input cuz we never know how to process it, how to dissolve problem cuz misunderstand from local people blablabla so much input and emphasize on technical skill but lack on communication skill.... that was 2 weeks of headache that make this cat think as long as the result is ok all is well... funny how thing play on real life~

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Study hard, life will get better once you graduate. lol. Right. I've never gotten so angry in school that profanity became common usage. Or wish to chop my colleague's head off with an axe. That is all post graduation stuff.
    Only after I started working did I understand why there are mass shootings.

Halcyon Observer likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, people seriously told you that? o.0

I thought it was common sense that childhood and the teen years are the best part of anyone's life... Loads of free time and little-to-no responsibilities are just great~

Pretty much the only thing you need to worry about up until your 17-18 years is to get passable grades at school, it's just fantastic~

... Granted, there are a lot of other things teens worry about, but after we grow up and become adults, we look back at those things and think like... "Did I really worry about that? Lol, I was so dumb."

5. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Parents.....
    Of course they had their studies cut short, so they might have been wearing a huge set of rose tinted goggles then but yeah not only was my school life pressured, I never ever saw that 'break' that they said I could take after studies.

Halcyon Observer and AliceShiki like this.
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, work and adult responsibilities are definitely no break when compared to studying! xD

7. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    "Work is more important than *______ and after getting somewhere in life, you will look back and be happy you chose your work first."

Most often "Mental health'', ''friends'', ''some hobby'', etc. that people put in it's place.

Constantly working non-stop isn't healthy either, and taking breaks is much needed, especially if you want to continue doing good work. There's nothing wrong with pushing yourself, but ignoring your life and relationships around you just to work hard enough so your future will be better is also not really a good idea. Focus on the present more, and what you want to do to help make yourself happy.
    Focus on the present you more, and not your future you (too much).

Going out to the garden to plant a damn blueberry bush instead of writing one essay that's due in 5 days won't tremendously ruin my future, Mr. H, sod off please. >:{

8. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    The so-called "break" your parents were referring to is actually called "retirement."

But by then, you are not able to do things you used to do, or do the things the way you used to do them. People may not see you in the light they had used to, either. You may suffer from back pain, sleepless nights, and memory loss. You may not have the time to pursue your dreams by then; you may not even remember the dreams you have had, be it from memories faded in time or from a passion dulled by ages of toil.

Children dream of becoming anything. Teenagers dream of dating someone. Young adults dream of becoming rich and famous. Adults dream of retiring early. And the old. The old dream of returning to their youth, where it was if they had all the time in the world, innocence not lost, responsibilities lifted, regrets erased, and energy to do just about anything. They dream of nothing else.

Work hard, study hard, graduate with full marks, then work even harder, and you just might make a fulfilling retirement. If you are lucky too, an early one. But all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. You cannot forgo social relationships, you cannot sacrifice your friends and family and the people around you if you wish to be successful.

It is supremely ironic to live your life, completely planned from the start to live without regrets, only to grow old and come to the realization that you had one chance in youth, and you regret completely wasting it. But like all other things in life, the irony reveals itself too little, too late.

Life is short. You only have one chance, make it count. Otherwise, in such a short span of life, those years of regret will last an eternity.

9. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    This is some deep Oogway stuff right here, man.

Deleted member 348269 likes this.
  10. kajess

kajess Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Do not run when you're late. What's the difference anyway."

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    “Hey, check this Novelupdate site. You’ll love it.”

12. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst advice? Can't remember anything earlier than the past 2 weeks...

When I was writing this plot for my niece's school's event where you write a book to get some prizes, one of my friends seriously told me to add in a harem.... like, this is going to be read by kids, adults, and many others before being judged. In a society that probably hasn't read any web novel to start being okay with that...

And, no, that friend wasn't joking. He was serious. He even spent an entire day drawing up characters, 'helping' I make some background for the characters, and even adding his opinions on how to have the main character seduce the girls... imagine that.

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    Study, and everybody would want to be ypur friend

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of advices that I consider as bad. Mostly because I hate constraints.

Respect your elders.

I'm sure everyone heard this while they're growing up. That hateful rhetoric that adults know better than you and you should respect them. In some cases, it might be true, but I hate when people use this to invalidate my opinion and try to put themselves on a pedestal. I really really hate it so much. I've probably argued with lots of adults when I was young and guess what? I was right. I hate when people try to push their ideas on me when it makes no sense. Yuck.

First love is beautiful.
    You know when an elder or a slightly older figure talks about their past experiences especially love? Yeah. This is probably brought up more often than not. How first love, although might not last, is one of the most beautiful things ever. Priceless. A treasure. I took this really seriously and also fantasized about my first love and my ideal girl. Literary yet funny, an amicable face with a sweet laughter. It made me look forward to my first love that when I got it, I really cherished it. And look at where it got me now. Not to say the advice was bad, just that in my perspective and experience, I really would not want to say this to anyone.

Time heals all wounds.
    Yeah, another classic. Probably thrown to you by elders again. Maybe even by friends. But does it really? I hope it does, for someone out there but for me, time is nothing but an enemy. Why would time not make me forget all those things? It's been almost 5 to 6 years since that incident and it's still burnt in my mind. Time never stood on my side. Time just watches as I slowly get torn apart by my own memories. I hate it really. *smile*

Move on.
    Probably one of the most useless advices I ever got. Move on, like seriously? If it was so easy then maybe the world would be a better place. But it's not so easy. And hearing those two words that seem to mock me for my incompetence and weakness doesn't help. It's not a good advice no matter how much you think it is.

AliceShiki and Lois. like this.
  15. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    time is medicine. But more than any medicine is suicide.

Someone told me people would never change. Never.
    but I saw it changed. Even i have changed.
    This is a wrong advice in my eyes.
    Everyone and everything changes. even gods and demons. For me this is a misused sentence

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Worst life advice I'd received was someone indirectly telling me that I should place myself as cannon fodder for another's success.

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I gave some good advice that backfired on me it all started because I have amazing gaydar prior to this I made two online friends and my gaydar activated and got them to accept themselves for who they are and come out to me one as gay the other as bi the advice I gave was to the third online friend and it was good I got him to accept himself as gay and he came out to me but then he randomly made me into his boyfriend I was just trying to help not get an underage Filipino boyfriend I kept trying to tell him I wasn’t into him but in the end I had to ghost him cause if it carried on I’d probably end up in jail

18. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. Almost all life advices I know comes from social media posts and quotes for my essays.

Shio likes this.
  19. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At least you only got them once, now imagine being a girl and receive those unwanted comments everytime they play a game.

The worst advice is probably "just try it, if maybe you will like it".
    It seems like they think "maybe you will" = "you will like it", since they got really pissed off when I still didn't like it and decided to break things off.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Time helps, but it doesn't heal by itself at all... It absolutely doesn't heal the wounds by itself.

Like, geez, as if something that hurts us will just go away because enough time passed... Oh please.

What can happen though, is that we can accept it to some extent, and then we can start working towards healing ourselves... Time alone won't be enough, but it can help us get the courage to do the first step towards healing... It's a long road, but ganbatte! >.<
    I mean... Tbf moving on is important, but... You need to respect your own time. You can't magically move on just because someone told you to.

I mean... It took me over a year to get over my first ex, and over two years to get over my second ex... Most of the time, I only started seriously moving on once I found someone else that I started having romantic feelings for... Up until that point I just couldn't forget them, I couldn't stop longing for them, wishing that I was still with them... It was so hard.

I don't think one needs to find a new romantic love to move on, but I definitely think you should accept that it may take time for you to accept that things are over and move on. I think it makes more sense to give yourself all the time you need, then to try rushing things and only hurting yourself in the process.

... I remember that my father tried moving on real quick once he and my mom divorced. He got hurt, and he hurt other people by doing that... He tried getting into new relationships, while he still loved my mom and it just... Hurt him. He wasn't ready for a new relationship, he needed more time.

It's no good to get stuck in the past forever, but it's no good to try pushing it away as if it never existed. It's good to give yourself time so as to move on eventually... Think about yourself, love yourself, find the things you love to do, and move on when you're ready to move on... Time helps a lot for those things, but it's not enough by itself.

Work hard! I hope things go well for you! ^^)/