Discussion Would you rather

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Apr 29, 2021.

?

Special person vs equality at its finest?

1. I wanna be special

64.3%
  2. I want the equality

35.7%
  1. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    But it is a decent requirement(?) for an Utopia. Equality alone doesnt define an Utopia, afterall everything from Utopia to Dystopia and in between can have equality, but it is still required unless you have a Utopia of few and Dystopia of many ~

2. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't need to be special, I just want my voice to count as much as the next person.
    since I'm not a rich middle aged/ old white man, I count for less than shit in my country.

3. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No... I don't think equality have anything to do with it...

You might have an Utopia where everyone is equal, but you would need to Brainwash everyone, but if you drop the equality part, you can make do with less brainwashing... You already got happy people, who are happy because they got all the money and honey, and you just need to brainwash those who got the worse deal... In the end, if you make everyone happy, then everyone IS happy, no matter how you did it... Its in the eye of the beholder after all, and if nobody sees a dystopia, then no dystopia exists...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  4. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Before we talk about being special or just normal people, watch this first:

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Equality smells of communism.

Seigin and AMissingLinguist like this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see it from both sides.
    If everyone is special. Than that’s normal or equal for everyone.
    The other side. If everyone is equal there’s no value. Why strive if you get the same if you don’t try.
    I choose “special”. At least that way. Hard workers can see the fruits of their hard work after trying so hard.

7. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather be special. Not really because I want to stand out but because if everyone's normal then wouldn't life be boring. It's already boring enough when everyone's different and I'm not special so I can't imagine how horrible it would be if everyone was the exact same.

8. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it might surprise you, but a lot of rich people aren't happy. Money = happiness up to a certain point. After the point where money takes all your worries away, it can simply be the source of your new worries. Think about all the people unhappy but still looking at all those "perfect people liviing perfect lives on instagram". Now imagine constantly competing over who has the shiniest toy. Or think about all those moms bragging to each other about their kids but secretly being jealous of other moms with even better kids and husbands. Anyways, I'm getting off point, but money only really contributes to your happiness up to the point where you are financially worry free. And it sure is amazing being financially worry free. But beyond that, the happiness brought by money is just an illusion, one that you might endlessly chase the rest of your miserable life.

Seigin and Bad Storm like this.
  9. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    This discussion sounds like a debate on semantics. To be special is to be greater, better, or different from the usual.

For everyone to be special, there would have to be an agreed standard model that can be used to gauge the differences between an individual and the standard model. Does there exist such a standard model? People would most likely refer to a statistic bell curve when talking about a standard. If a person is above the average, then they can consider themselves special, which means they are greater, better, or different from the usual.

When someone says "everyone is special," the meaning conveyed is that everyone is above average, but in what? The meaning gained from this ambiguous statement must come from each person themselves. Maybe the statement means that people have their own skills and talents that differ them from their peers. Maybe the statement is a white lie meant to support a loved one. Whatever the case, is it "normal" to be "special"?

How about we change it. Is it "special" to be "normal"? To be normal is to conform to a standard. If a person is expected to do something or become someone, then that's not becoming greater or better, but it can be different from the usual. Therefore, to be normal is special.

To be normal or special, both cannot exist without the other. The normal is being special, and being special is normal.

Also, I think you're confusing special with unique, as in "one of a kind."

10. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    well, even if I said that I know money is not = happiness. There's only so much money could buy.

KhayDesu likes this.
  11. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    If i am the only special one i might feel quite lonely so i choose equality.

12. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    lol for me the choice would be Special Person (eventhough objectively im not different from a regular person) and equality would never be realised as long as we live.