Discussion What’s the most racist thing you’ve seen in a novel?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OldManGu, Apr 27, 2021.

1. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    i remember it was an author that had the pseudonym of 'Mine'

The novel was [New Life+] Starting Life in Another World

Yes! now i remember he said stuff that can be translated like 'China - Chigga' somewhere along those lines.

Though the novel he made was atleast decent

whoa that crap is messed up desu~ now im curious about that commercial

2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember someone covering it, maybe Serpertza?? No clue since it's been a while.

Baldingere likes this.
  3. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    god this is so messed up :sick::blobconfused:

4. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, while I agree that certain works are totally racist and not acceptable, I dislike that this thread feels increasingly accusatory towards China, Korea, and Japan (uhh, the people, not the governments, btw).
    What I really don't like about where this thread is going is that it seems like some people are going a bit too far with the prejudice, like all works of that nation are racist or something.
    And, just to be clear, but while the East Asian obsession with pale skin is a thing, not every East Asian is like that. Just look at the popularity of dark elves. Uhh, maybe that's not actually related to this issue since it's fantasy and all.

*cough* I'm probably just being oversensitive, anyway...

As for the casual use of racial slurs, I'm not too sure what is and isn't appropriate. But, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it common for the n-word to appear in banter between african americans? So I guess it's not allowed for non-black people to use it?
    I never really thought about this question too much, but I guess to stay safe, one should just never use the n-word in case you offend someone...
    *cough* *cough* never did any serious research about this, but I've heard black people and their non-black friends refer to each other with no malicious intent with the n-word, hence the confusion.

Thraximus likes this.
  5. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    The words historical connotation carries racist and inflammatory usage towards black people. It was used by plantation owners to degrade and dehumanize black Africans. Like how they stole enslaved peoples names away from them and gave them anglicized names and forced them to speak english and pray to a christian god. Basically, erasing what once made them who they were and the people they once had ties with.

The word was much later appropriated by Afro-Americans and reused to format a new framework of understanding rather than it continue to exist as a dehumanizing slur.

And the n word with a hard r and the n-word used by Afro-Americans are two separate things. The hard r is the original dehumanizing version. and the new version is the refomatted one.

The reason ordinary whites don’t say the word is linked to the usage by white Americans of the past. Meaning it was predominantly used a tool of dehumanization for keeping black Americans as second-class citizens and to distinguish a “us and them” framework.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  6. valeee

valeee Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are soo many Chinese novels that always seem to have a discrimination against dark/tan people and Africa. Like a lot of Chinese novels with CEOs would always threaten subordinates who don't do well with "You better do this, or else I'll send you off and packing to work in our mines in Africa", or they would be like "I'm sending you to Africa, don't blame me if you turn dark and become ugly". They make it seem as if dark/tan people are ugly. Also, Africa is a beautiful continent with beautiful people, so the prejudice against it in so many Chinese novels is just unfair. Chinese stereotypes are typically people with "pure white jade-like skin" which is quite ironic because most Chinese people actually have yellow skin.

7. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently hopping from novel to novel and I find HacKer and read the reviews. I'm never gonna read that. According to the reviews, this novel is peak racist and MC kills millions of civilians out of patriotism. Because apparently it's his duty as a chinese to commit mass murder of all the non-chinese people. I don't get it. Do they want to repopulate the planet with only chinese people? They would still split up at some point.

8. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I was checking out this manga the other day cause I was curious about how it had over 200 chapters but I’ve never heard anyone mention it and it’s set in China and they randomly had soldiers accidentally step on a visiting Japanese rich groups shoe the Japanese person got angry the shoe was meant to be expensive but it was a wooden sandal and the mc made everyone attack the Japanese people saying it’s for China it’s so stupid and annoyed me so much

9. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I saw in spelling bee video (it was a parody *i think*) wherein the white kid's word is a homophone to the n-word, and the kid didn't dare to say the word to be spelled.

So, it depends on their relationship?.. :hmm:

10. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done some research, here's what I've gathered:
    - n-word is still widely considered a slur, especially used by white people
    - black people in the process of reclaiming it, so it's often used between two black people with no ill intent
    - if a black friend calls you it (without insulting you), you can (probably) call them it back?
    - less offensive if it was a quote or you were directly referencing from a song with it in its lyrics
    - generally, if you're not black, it's probably best to just avoid using it, saves you the hassle

idlereader likes this.
  11. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I've seen something similar and tbh although I'm not a Japanese that kind of thing never feels good so I have stopped reading things like that....

12. Goldenexp111

Goldenexp111 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We all know that Urban Chinese novels always contains some heavy hints of nationalism and racism, hence why I never read them. I have seen instances of where in Chinese novels an MC will commit outright terrorism by killing innocent Japanese civilians because of his gangs wars against Japanese gangs and be praised by his government, however one author just bested his compatriots.

I once read an author whose MC wants to create a Chinese army base in africa and colonize it so that his people come live there, so what does he do. He creates a virus to erase a large chunk of the African population so that they become a minority and have Chinese come enslave them.
    That's why I don't even read fantasy Chinese too anymore, they always have the subdimnal racist and repetitive message of human vs demon race dynamic.

Korean novels too sort of annoy me with the blatant racism against Japanese or Americans can't people just write novels where they don't blatantly target a certain demographic because they dislike them.

One piece is a perfect example of a story that contains themes such as racism and slavery that are actually used correctly to demonstrate the state of human selfish. In most webnovels however authors are just being racist for the sake of being racist.

God slayer likes this.
  13. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made a post about this.

Here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/list-of-chinese-novels-with-overt-racism-nationalism.63819/

I also remember this novel in which the MC told off a Chinese woman for having an English name. Like, he was saying that Chinese women with English names were just asking to be raped.

In many Chinese novels, the author would use derogatory names to refer to Japan and Korea. For example, 矮子国 (for Japan) and 棒子国 (for Korea). In English, they translate into Land of Shorties for Japan and Land of Sticks for Korea. The Korean thing needs a little explanation, so read the following article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaoli_bangzi

14. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, I once read a Chinese e-sports novel where Koreans were a bit very heavily antagonized?