Is sylverine really all bad?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raven Evernight, May 1, 2021.

1. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    In Harry Potter slyverine is always in first place for the house cup till dumbledore cheats and makes Harry win so he feels less guilty about raising him has a pig for slaughter if slyverine was really all bad they wouldn’t be able to make enough points to always be 1st out of the others and they still all end up getting badmouthed by everyone it seems unfair

Deleted member 306720 likes this.
  2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    there always has be a villain. who else but the snake.

also it eludes to political elitism. but I doubt the author knew what she was doing considering her actions of today

3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Slytherin's quite good! Lots of people are Slytherin, personality-wise :blob_coffee:

4. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s been like 10 years since I’ve read the books, but wasn’t the personality qualities of the houses Gryffindor and Slytherin supposed to be nearly the same or something? Like the difference was a technicality. Like it’s why Harry was almost put in Slytherin.

5. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was actually disappointed.

Malfoy and his goons were practically baby innocent when compared to shit the main trio tangled with.

6. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Slytherin actually cheats quite badly before Harry goes to Hogwarts. In the form of Snape I mean. McGonagall is fair to a point except for Quidditch, while the other teachers are somewhere between the two heads though leaning toward fair. Snape even before Harry was putting down Gryffindors and raising Slytherins.

I'm sure all Slytherins aren't too bad, but with Snape letting them do whatever and rewarding them for it, I doubt they were the exemplars of innocence either.

7. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't think. if i remember correctly they where something like this
    griffindor - courage
    slytherin - ambitious(or something like this)
    ravenclaw - wisdom
    hufflepuff- loyalty
    but i remember that they can have affinity to multiple house...after all personality aren't completely single.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  8. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, for a house of ambitious little snakes they were supposed to be, nepotism was their seemingly main feature. Politically important family to the Ministry, Death Eater family legacy ( political gain from before birth again), Snape favoritism, and not much else.

Gryffindor is where it's at if you want ambitious. Look at all the methods and deeds performed from year 1 through 7. Facing hostile monsters, magical traps and guardians, possessed wizards, destroying Horcruxes, training fellows students into paramilitary, secret meeting places with quite the logistics applied,......

Hermione was queen when it came to punching above their class since she was the one in charge of actually getting the needed knowledge many times when push came to shove, Harry had connections of his own like Hagrid, Dumbledore, Sirius,... Ron's family is why they had the best stuff like Marauder's map and prank wars were practically grinding daily for out of the box thinking they needed.

Slytherin in comparison doesn't move much.

9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    <---devil cultivator. fk Slytherin!

10. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really all bad.there are somebgood slytherin.Merlin was one. It is just almost all Slytherian has white supremacist ideology or in HP, Wizard supremacy ideology

11. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The traits themselves as represented by the houses can be positive or negative just like anything else, but honestly in order to have the plot that it did the houses were portrayed very poorly by J.K. Rowling. She basically portrayed it as the only good guys vs magical Nazis, which is a pity, and I really think she could've done a lot more with the world.

12. LetheanDragon

LetheanDragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has tested maybe 3-4 times on the pottermore site and gotten slytherin once, I don’t think they’re bad at all. Ambition and cunning isn’t evil, just that they have a penchant for diving into grey zones, and obviously people on the other end would see them that way. They have strong leadership skills and charisma that comes with self-confidence, however of course too much of anything isn’t good. Like someone else said, personalities aren’t just one dimensional, and it can depend on a person’s environment on how certain traits can be perceived. Some might see self-assuredness as arrogance or being self absorbed, just as certain gryffindor traits can be seen as stubborn, bull-headed and reckless. I may have taken this too far and thought too much into your question, but just purely as a classification for personality, not all slytherins are bad. I am a ravenclaw by the way LOL

13. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except that Voldemort took over the country and Draco in his 6th year put together a plan which led to the death of the most powerful wizard in the world(weakened as he was at the time). Snape was cunning enough to play both sides to the moment of his death(though Albus' plan had a lot to do with that).

At any rate the houses aren't that important. They're basically just a way to split students into groups for their classes like the color teams or whatever I had in middle school. They give a sense of family for children at boarding school and promote a sense of friendly rivalry to make them do better in classes. Only crazy people(Voldemort) and children put that much stock into them. I imagine anyone talking about houses in the real wizarding world gets looked at like an idiot.

14. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sylverine?

Blitz and Deleted member 306720 like this.
  15. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably should fix the title there. It took me a few minutes to process its meaning before I realized it meant Slytherin then clicked thread.

Belonging to any house does not determine an individual as good or evil. Slytherin is seen in bad light due to their members historically joining Voldemort in the past, and the founder's strong views on pureblood and purity of wizarding families, Draco Malfoy is viewed as a bully for most of series except towards the latter half. Draco allowed the infiltration of death eaters and plotted death of Dumbledore and victimized many other students in the process. His bad reputation is well deserved to be honest.

Teachers like Snape are partial to only Slytherin students compared to other teachers from the other three. Hermione got answers correct, but zero points were awarded to her for example like other students.

Slytherin - ambitious, attitude of elites, pure blood supremacist (not all of them), trouble makers that drift into grey areas, success using any means necessary, strong association with the dark arts or taboo
    Gryffindor - courageous, justice, ambitious, athletic, noble character
    Ravenclaw - cunning, wisdom, crafty, sly, studious
    Hufflepuff - normal, everybody else, acceptance, chill

16. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cunning is one of the primary Slytherin traits.
    Draco is a bully but he was clearly coerced into letting the Death Eaters in and supporting them in general. I think I remember him not identifying Hermione when she got caught which probably saved her from a tortuous death. Snape is a petty ahole that likes to bully kids and probably shouldn't be a teacher. That being said neither are really evil.