Recommendations Novels that DON'T have super beautiful MCs...

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by amleigh, May 2, 2021.

1. amleigh

amleigh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... I've been reading a lot of things like Dreamer in the Spring Boudoir or To Be A Virtuous Wife, et cetera et cetera... And I was wondering if you guys could recommend some CN novels where the female main character actually isn't perfectly beautiful?

I'm not sure if there are actually such CN novels, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :D

TIA!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    My Wife Spoils Me Too Much, the MC suffered because of the oriMC's alcoholic tendency so her skin and body aren't beautiful

Quirkayla and amleigh like this.
  3. amleigh

amleigh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks... Will check it out. :)

4. magstralala

magstralala Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Destined Marriage with Fragrance

Grabbing Your Hand, Dragging you Away
    She's actually rather pretty but her facial paralysis and dumb expression make her somewhat dull-looking. Especially next to her family who are all super duper gorgeous.

5. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh, this is my single biggest pet peeve about CNovels! Authors, do you not realise or care how much you undermine your own characters (of any gender) and reduce their appeal when the most interesting and memorable thing about them is how they look, rather than any aspect of their personality!? Not to mention how sheerly boring it is to keep reading near-identical paragraphs of rhapsodising about the lead's stunning, incomparable, fairy-like (etc, etc) appearance...

Anyway, happily I can recommend some of my favourite supernatural-themed novels! These two have female leads who are pretty-but-not-unusually-so:

The Guide to Capturing a Black Lotus

Dying in the Male Lead’s Arms Every Time I Transmigrate

And this one could be considered a partial example:

I Became the Villain’s Pendant
    ...the female lead in this IS actually really beautiful; but nearly everyone she meets hates her appearance. She's physically near-identical to Mary Sue, but we keep hearing that it's Mary Sue's alleged inner beauty that makes her so appealing; on the contrary nobody likes our heroine, so they despise her as an 'ugly' imitation of Mary Sue. Furthermore, about 3/4 of the way through the novel,
    the body she's transmigrated into dies; stuff happens; much later she meets the male lead while possessing a different body, and eventually he meets her 'true' appearance (how she looked before she transmigrated)... she asks if he's disappointed at the way the 'real' her looks, and he's just plain baffled as to why she'd think he cares about how she looks. :D

Hmm, modern-day novels.... I've actually found quite a few (mostly comedy novels; I guess unattractive heroines are thought of as funny?) but I can only recall a small number. It's been a while/I didn't thoroughly read all of these to the end (some started well enough but began to bore me after a while; only the first two are ones I really enjoyed throughout), but IIRC these all qualify as having heroines whose appearance isn't remarkable:

A Love So Beautiful

Rebirth on the Doors to the Civil Affairs Bureau

Fleeting Midsummer (Beijing University’s Weakest Student)

Unworthy Rich Girl

Married to the Protagonist

As for historical novels? I've occasionally read ones where the female lead disguised herself for a while, but I've literally never yet encountered one where her natural appearance was anything less than breathtakingly gorgeous. Hopefully someone else can suggest something!

Munimuyi and aintg like this.
  6. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    evanesco99211 and aintg like this.
  7. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    seemanta and aintg like this.
  8. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    The Job Of An Imperial Concubine

9. kurdapya

kurdapya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tyrannical Wang’s Beloved Wife. The FL is not really ugly but she was described as not the most beautiful woman.

General’s Fiery Farmwife.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  10. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link