Chinese supreme?!?!?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ImperialNero, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just know that er gen has a new novel called "A world worth protecting"
    "By the year 3029 CE, Earth’s technology has developed rapidly, borders no longer exist, and Earth has been unified, marking the beginning of the era of the Federation."
    United earth with federation system and yet all the characters have chinese names, the implication behind it is pretty interesting to be honest.

thymee likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And you discovered that just now?! The Federation basically insinuates a Chinese state.

Shunraiki, Sutad Aatma and Sabruness like this.
  3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh just get over it. It's like how English stories with a universal system has everyone's name in English too. You write to your culture. Writers that can write beyond are incredibly rare and those that can create engaging new worlds can be considered the elite of writers. Like the old Origin motto, "We create worlds" is itself a huge boast.

Don't insinuate more than what is necessary, it'll just turn this into a paranoid, authoritarian world.

asriu and lavendidi like this.
  4. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    I retired from chinese novels already for nearly a year already. And i just know that ergen released a new novel from a guy posting in forum asking about the novel spoiler. Well its pretty disappointing though since ergen has a pretty big international fanbase

Sutad Aatma and otaku31 like this.
  5. kurisomething

kurisomething Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s an author writing to cater to a certain audience. Hell, even if I’m writing a story with multi-cultural people, I’m not gonna look up how to write different names. Even in everyday circumstances, my naming styles are <general topic 1> or <animal 3>.

from @ImperialNero ‘s statement,
    no idea about who this author is, I’m writing under the assumption it’s the average CN author

Nightow1 likes this.
  6. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    It still won't change that his main reader base is located in China, and that's what he himself writes for.

If you start reading too much into it, then almost all novels in modern settings on here can be construed as nationalist works on some level. Just read it as them paying attention to make it more relatable to their main audience. As long as there's no real racism or messaging about culling others and forcing them to submit to your race/culture then it's not worth considering.

MidstNost, Nightow1 and kurisomething like this.
  7. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Base audience of CN's are Chinese and China is quite a state when it comes to propaganda and nationalist portrayal & censorship in fiction.

Any halfway decent writer not encumbered by HEAVY censorship should add 'proper' names when incoprorating different cultures. Be it historical/modern fiction or fantasy with historically based cultures. You simply can't take a story seriously if someone that is obviously portraying a Pharaoh is called 'Bob'. Such characters should have either Kemetic or Hellenic names (the last Egyptian dynastie(s?) being from the Macedonian Ptolemy family, loyal retainers of Alexander the Great).

Gitami and Elementarteilchen like this.
  8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Well? That's how it works. He knows Chinese so he will write Chinese. Hollywood has aliens speaking English....

Nightow1 and Llamadragon like this.
  9. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At least, the author didn't named it the Huaxia Empire.

Nightow1 likes this.
  10. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright thanks for the civilized response. I get the points but it's really disappointing for me since er gen used to be one of my favorite chinese author and how he is well accepted internationally, multicultural names for a novel with united earth world setting is pretty reasonable.

11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, right? But even bigger authors accepted on a larger scale do it. Example: pretty much every Hollywood movie with aliens in it

Nightow1 likes this.
  12. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't imagine reading about china, japan or america and the people would have only f.e. german names. That would be really weird and I personally never read a book like that :D

13. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn’t the Federation a trope?
    Starcraft zergs + the Federation + the Empire + mechas are grouped together pretty often

14. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh everyone writes to their own comfort zones. And incorporating other regions/ religions is not simply naming someone. Authors will need to incorporate religion, cultural and regional references, language and even economic references. It is not as simple as saying 'John and Xie are best friends.' I don't think you should think much about this. For eg in the Harry Potter world, no other country other than England is involved in the fight against Voldemort. Voldemort does not attack any other country. Even though we have token brown and black girls and boys for diversity sake, the main characters and even the main side characters (Weasleys, Longbottoms, Luna Lovegood) are white. It doesn't mean anything other than familiarity. Authors write what they are most familiar with and I don't really see what's wrong with that.

Nightow1 likes this.
  15. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot about the 4th book. Durmstrang and Beauxbatons are institutes located in another countries.
    Durmstrang is believed to be in eastern europe I think (russia?) and their names sound "hard" like slavic/russian names, f.e. Karkaroff, while Beauxbatons is believed to be in france and they have "soft" sounding names, f.e. Fleur Delacour is a french sounding name.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Nightow1 and otaku31 like this.
  16. randomilo

randomilo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, that's dumb point. It isn't just Earth alone that has chinese names. All characters in the universe have chinese names, hell even characters outside his universe also has chinese names.
    In short, all characters in the novel have chinese names

Nightow1 likes this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    don't forget starship trooper....
    pfft on the movie this cat dunno which one the zerg, is it da bug or the human~
    tbh its ok this cat get, xxx country is most influential yes yes yes~

18. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What would you rather the names be? John. Sally. Elizabeth. Lol jk. He’s not some great author whose gonna put a ton of effort into his world. He’s just gonna take the easiest route, and that’s gonna be giving everyone Chinese names since he and his audience are most familiar with that culture. No bigger implication imo. Just your typical webnovel author

Honestly tho, I find manga to be pretty good at creating worlds pretty detached from any one culture. All u have to do is have some names u made up, and then throw in a mix of names from different cultures to create that sense of detachment.

Nightow1 likes this.
  19. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that big, probably just some of us here on NU. Compared to his local readers, I won't be surprised if he caters to his local audience, that made him a millionaire.

20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On the other hand, think of all the Avenger and superhero movies from America. Not many of them have Chinese names or German ones for that matter despite superheros supposedly representing the world.

Elementarteilchen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.