Discussion The Irregular at Magic High School S2

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by CadmarLegend, May 6, 2021.

1. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I watched the first season of it and liked it, so I started watching the second season on Funimation, and I was a little bit disappointed. Not because the plot deteriorated or anything, but because the characters almost acted like what Tatsuya did at Yokohama had never happened.... like, they basically ignored the fact that he could basically regenerate people's limbs and stuff!

What's your opinion on it?

2. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot to watch it. Trying to forget what I read before hopping back into watching anime. The curse of reading the novels. Don’t have that problem with Tate no Yuusha since I only read the web novels and it all deviates after calmira island

CadmarLegend likes this.
  3. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't watched the second season of the anime yet, but I have read a good chunk of the books. The anime never really covers how much the other characters really do wonder about Tatsuya's real identity or about their wondering of how powerful he is like they do in the books. However, because the anime doesn't do that, it also doesn't show their sincerity in respecting Tatsuya's privacy. This is really shown in Volume 5 (which happens right after the Nine School Competition Arc and is the bridge between that arc and the Yokohama Disturbance Arc) and is kind of world building/fun novel for the most part that delves into more the side character's thoughts and experiences. However, most of his friends decide not to ask too many questions about his past after seeing all the scars on his body during Volume 5.

Not to mention the Yokohama Disturbance Arc was extremely disturbing for most of the people involved, but all the students who witnessed Tatsuya's power were pretty much given a gag order by the military, so even if they wanted to ask, they couldn't. However, it is not like anyone forgot or dismissed his abilities at all, in fact it just kind of adds a whole level of sorrow (from his friends) especially when they learned that it causes him significantly more pain to regenerate stuff. All in all, it just became another thing to not ask about, and especially never demand for him to do. You have to remember that the people around him genuinely respect and care about him despite his emotional distance.

I don't think they really covered those types of considerations from his peers that well in the anime like they did in the novels.

I've been avoiding the second season because it covers my least favorite arc by the way, with the ill-contrived pseudo sexual tension that happens in it.

IamSoBored123 and CadmarLegend like this.
  4. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:
    Yeah, they didn't. I never even knew about that before hearing... *ahem* seeing your reply. Thanks for another good piece of information!

IamSoBored123 and MisterBubbles like this.