Discussion Authors, there's a reason why ICBMs and drone strikes are a thing.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grand_Rider_Iskandar, May 6, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you want to kill an enemy from a distance of 1 kilometer when you can kill them at 3000 kilometers.

I have no problems with melee fighters. But mages fighting melee just because they have a good defensive spell is stupid. Learning how to fight up close is good, but charging towards the enemy when you can just shoot spells is stupid. Sure skill shots are harder to hit at huge distances, but you can practice. Or learn how to keep your distance. Don't be an idiot and punch your enemy when you have your fireball up. If you know how to use your fist, don't use them. Instead make them back away until you can't then punch them. Give them a good surprise.

This is different from a close combat mage where the spells they know enhances their melee abilities. Like a monk with a fuckton of buff, debuff, crowd control, and healing spells.

CN novels are the biggest culprit of this. Not the VRMMORPG kind though. They actually know about class advantages and disadvantages. They love their mc hiding their shit, but they don't even bother to hide that they know how to fight up close.

2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    EXXPLOOOOOSIONNN!!!

3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely encountered this kind of thing or I maybe just didn't notice it

TXHY and Anra7777 like this.
  4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Something Something Boxer Rebellion. China is retarded sometimes.

5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Mages are OP (shitty ending to a halfass work, I tell you) have MC Roland creating nukes which he fires off from a distance... because if he stands too close, he'll die unless he is in fire elemental mode.

Also, the whole "long range is cash king" has been done before in a ton of works, but somewhere in our DNA, we still like to return to monke, smash and bash. Second, long range in VRMMORPG has a limit (except for Mages are OP cuz MC) as in, they have archers and riflemen (sort of).

otaku31 likes this.
  6. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I have no clue what you ranting about cuz I never read a novel where "classical mage" charge at enemies.
    And if you talking about fight that opponents are 10m away from each other and the warrior can just sprint to mage in half a sec, I'm gonna just say.
    "Mc sniped the warrior from 5000km away" is not a entertaining way to write fights and making the warrior charge this distance to the mage is just number padding

0000000 and Anra7777 like this.
  7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. Don’t think I’ve encountered this.

8. LittleBigSnowFlower

LittleBigSnowFlower 悪くないよねぇ 〜

Reading List:
    Link
    Never encountered Mages who didn't kite back and will go ham to ham to a warrior (unless specifically said it's a close combat mage)...

Magi, Magicians, Mages whatever they are called to their worlds knows they're a walking test dummy if warriors get near them so most novels i knew they have protection of sorts (blinks, barriers, protection array, etc you know it) unless the world/novel dictated them to have semi-omnipotent protection (omnipotent mages vs normal people).

I never remember mages go close combat unless they're OP af or just want to look cool...

Even "mages fighting within 10m over a warrior" has a fitting reason, mostly it's on tournament based, duel, face-off or honor reason (mages are normally nobles on worlds or elites that thinks with they're omnipotent so ego is basis)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.