Beatrice Korean Webtoon Scam????

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by khunter, May 6, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khunter

khunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading Beatrice today and saw this scanlator note:

[​IMG]

:blobastonished:

"AND translation"? Also $10? Everyone and their grandmother knows a single chapter does not cost $10 to buy. Why are Korean groups so shady? :blobtriumph: Why lie about where the money is going? :blobconfused: Assuming they don't just disappear with the money. :blobunamused:

2. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if this is a scam, so are a lot of donation based novel translations. I remember extra chapters of EER were $60 or something.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And here I remember WuxiaWorld charging $80 for every single extra chapter of Coiling Dragon and the donation meter overflowing despite that.

Assuming that the cost covers both raw procurement and translation, it doesn't seem that expensive in comparison. ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  4. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this will be unethical, but I think we can snipe translate that chapter to teach them a lesson.

5. Dudduls

Dudduls Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue is that shouldn't ask for money for something which don't belong to them. I don't mind putting a Patreon on the very end with the group credits but specify an amount and and so on..

6. Akabane

Akabane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But wasn't they releasing like 25-30 chapters a week for free?

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, how is it a scam? Time invested = money.

Rainingmoon likes this.
  8. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At one point, yes; 25-30 chs, but almost all of them were extra chs from donations.

Arkantos likes this.
  9. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, you are demanding them to work for free then.

Rainingmoon likes this.
  10. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because them actively asking for money means it's for profit, it will trigger the witch hunt for copyrighted novels/manga like what happen in Japan (The aim was sites hosted in Phillipines and Malaysia), some dumbass translate many manga and ask for money under the reason "trying to go legit" and what happened? Some manga sites got shut down by the witch hunt. (I will hide the name of the sites but not the nationality of the hosts)

They could mask it under "donation"(not directly asking on first page of the chapter but on the site itself or the credits) or "money for coffee" but nooooo, they are too stupid to do that and directly asking for money instead. Now other translation manga sites and novel sites are going to be sacrificed for their stupidity.

Please prevent this for ever happen again.

11. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're paying a translator for their translation of something, you are paying for someone's time to do it. When they say "and", then I'd assume that the translator isn't just doing it willy nilly as a passion project.

Going to back to WW with CD and ISSTH, I remember DB writing about sometimes spending upwards of 6 hours for a chapter, in that case I believe 60 dollars is 10 an hour given he was fulltime. (although I believe it was mostly around 3-4 hours a chapter, so hourly pay was a fair bit higher). Although I'd argue WW was more of a "donate and get more than what is promised for free", and not "we can't do it if you don't donate".

Overall the note seems weirdly snobbish to me given the way it's phrased. If you are asking for someone's kindness this is definitely a weird way to do it.

Akabane and Bad Storm like this.
  12. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    hey, I know a solution, just use https://translate.google.com/ if you don't like the translator that much.
    they aren't selling the chapter, if they really want to sell, they would say each translated chapter costs 10 dollars for each person.
    They are just asking 10 dollars in total for a chapter, that's even below the minimum wage.

13. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It was the excuse me at the forefront that threw me off. It's like one of those randoms that would suddenly touch your shoulder then ask for a favor.

Ruyue and Eldau like this.
  14. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's quite funny of you saying this if you know I'm also a translator.... Geez, I'm not saying that you should "Do It FOr FrEE", no, you are missing the point... I'm asking THEM to not sacrifice other scanlation and translator for their shitty open greed.

You know, as fellow translator... DON'T FUCKING DRAW US INTO YOUR GODDAMN PROBLEM JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE SO HORNY FOR MONEY.

15. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    er... first of all, when I say you, I mean readers in general,
    and then, does it matter if you are a translator or not?
    you need to calm down and don't get triggered so easily.
    and then again, I still don't see your point, how does them asking for $10.00 to translate a chapter affect you?
    when you say us.... you mean your group?
    I'm confused.

16. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I need to tell you a story, do you know why Animetake got closed down? Because they change from "taking donation" to actively selling merchandise, my first translation debut as a weeb is actually on anime subtitles (Yes I know DAIZ personally), back then in year 2011 Noodles (AT admin) came with a "gREaT IdEA" and voila, Animetake gone. Horriblesubs also suffer from same fate because they stole Jlist merchandise and sell it directly. Remember Mangafox? IT'S GONE (what a f*cking surprise) Similar stuff, the subgroup under them tried to ask for donation per chapter, this has happened countless time, the latest victims is one is those phillipinos sites and horriblesubs...

When will you people ever learn? Directly asking for money (especially if you directly say the "amount") is a big no no since ancient times. You people should've figure it out how those IPA protectionist works.

Simply said, you ask for money directly with the amount, it will trigger a witch hunt by the IPA protectionist, not only they will be killed, but also ME and the groups under me (which is unrelated to them).

17. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    correct me if I'm wrong,
    if a group publishes something illegally online, it doesn't matter if they are asking for money or not, once it has a big enough reader base, it will be taken down.
    or publishers will say, oh well, they are publishing our IPs for free, so we are going to ignore them?
    people could argue that it would be more likely to attract publishers' attention, but then again
    would any publisher go after small translators that have 0 readers?
    IMO it all comes down to the number of readers the group has not if they are asking money or not.

18. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No... Sigh... I guess I have to show you this, to show you what is "IPA protectionist".

They are not a legal entity or body of government, they are people specifically target group or sites that asking for money directly or indirectly (as long it's a popular intellectual property), and they attack when they see compelling evidence that the site or group is "for profit".
    They are just a group of self righteous people who hate this kind of sites, long time ago they target site that host download for Hollywood movies, now they also target Novel sites, Manga sites, and Anime sites.

PS : Open the link directly, don't just watch it on media here, see the description and read the comment.

19. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that I didn't express my point clearly.
    what would be more likely to compel a company to go after an illegal site?
    from the two sites below, which one would be more likely to receive DMCA?
    a site that has a lot of visitors but not asking for any form of money.
    a site that has almost no visitors but asking for money.

20. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I DON'T KNOW, it's like a hobby for them, I just know their pattern. That's it.

Anyway, I'm done, you peeps have been warned, if you peeps still want money, do it smartly.

I will try to tell Rae, Kenar, Yukkuri, Gurotranslation, etc on discord. Cya~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.