What's with the recent spate of JPNs...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    involving Russian heroines and underestimated, even reviled, protagonists who inadvertently get their "high specs" revealed and gain their long due high school popularity? Examples:

I cringe every time I read "high spec". :notlikeblob:

Have Japanese authors come upon another template they plan on spamming? :blobexpressionless:

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That feeling when you open the cover and smell the bullsh*t after reading the prologue and chapter 1...

Dr_H_16, AliceShiki, MMWO and 2 others like this.
  3. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the convergence of at least two previous templates, which happens from time to time. Also, WN tend to plagia... *cof* *cof* make homage to some particularly interesting web novels (sometimes having the copies being better received than the original).

About why russian... when speaking about (white) foreigners they mostly fall into stereotypical american, former ally german, refined french or neighbouring russian. You may add to the lot some italians when speaking about mafia or cuisine, latin american when in need of a third worlder, indian for extravagant/mystic and spanish when the author is an otaku (usually of footbal association or weird art and architecture), not to mention nondescript fictitious pacific/indic islanders.

And as I always say: if you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read it (and there are ways to filter that content out, even if you have to go series by series).

Dr_H_16, asriu, otaku31 and 2 others like this.
  4. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    That makes me think of It’s a Little Hard to be a Villainess of an Otome Game in Modern Society lol
    But that serie is really good and it's not a romance story
    It's quite funny that there's that kind of school life niche genre but it's weird too

otaku31 likes this.
  5. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, but remember that what is being translated is not always reflective of the general trends in web novels. These are the result of translators deciding on these particular novels. So I assume it has to do with the preferences of the translators.

More importantly, are these any good?

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    God Eater suddenly got popular or something?
    Or maybe the fact that moon, laika and bloodsucking princess is getting an anime?

Dr_H_16 and otaku31 like this.
  7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Had they been any good, I wouldn't have been making this thread. Tho they might appeal to some, what with tastes being subjective and all that. ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

I usually steer clear of them, but this time I got deceived by the reviews. Besides, I have only read (and dropped) the second one.

¯\_( ツ)_/¯ Who knows?

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    based on this cat gossip stuff
    Russia actually kinda popular you know~ different kind of high spec from Germany~ oh also France~ basically the high spec of classic European blonde beauty with smart type rely on mc for insertself stuff which good to bait some type of reader~ as similar as mc slap young master stuff~

hmm just another use of well known stereotype based on culture perhaps? otaku culture maybe~
    just a fad~

otaku31 likes this.
  9. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    they are really really bad, i couldn't even come up with atleast one good title.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. Reaper.ChaosKamifumetsu

Reaper.ChaosKamifumetsu ‖True Chaos‖Twisted Prodigy‖True Energy‖Gamer God‖

Reading List:
    Link
    russia has only 8 people per sq.km approx (dont remember it exactly) and again many of this population is not native so why russia????
    i think the guy who authored this is either a weirdo or someone new
    In the first place i dont think russian students transfer to japan cause migration charts show it
    and there are rarely any exceptions
    also whats with that girlfriend breaking her mind and new people proposing him cause he is too high spec
    like the hell a guy is high spec and goes unnoticed in football a game shown to public and coaches
    its not even a video game

otaku31 likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how much of a trend this is. Are there just a few books doing this or is it part of a greater movement. I'm especially curious about the Russian thing since this kind of novel usually follows trends in anime or manga or video games. And the last one that comes to mind with popular Russian characters is "Girls und Panzer" and that came out a while ago. Anyways, these books sound terrible so I wonder what the appeal is supposed to be.

otaku31 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.