Discussion A way to stop crying quickly

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rutabaga, May 9, 2021.

?

Do you cry a lot?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Depends

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, just a random thought, but I’m the type of person to show almost no expression at all or basically never cry in my daily life, but when I do cry it never stops and it comes out in choked sounds with a lot of quick and hard breaths. It gets really hard to breathe when I do that, and my nostrils get clogged up for a long time. So, do you know how to stop crying almost immediately? (Yes, I do know crying every now and then is healthy and I probably shouldn’t hold it in but I’m sitting right now on my bed with my eyes stinging like hell and my nose all clogged up and it feels disgusting. If I cry in the middle of getting yelled at by parents my getting yelled at time gets longer and I get a bonus speech of “Crying doesn’t solve problems + attack on me” which I find quite annoying. So. Got any ideas?)

2. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just don't stop it. Just let your tears flow. Unless you weren't affected on what's happening in you, it's hard to stop that. Or learn how to control your emotions. Be rational at all times but not cold hearted. Sometimes, our emotion dictates what we actions we will do. I experienced it also before and it makes me cringe whenever I remember crying over simple things. But if its have an impact in yourself, just let it flow. It's bad to keep it all in yourself because you might not control yourself if it explodes.

asriu, imK, Rutabaga and 3 others like this.
  3. HaseoXV

HaseoXV Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    take a cold bath and drink nice warm drink afterward

work well

Rutabaga likes this.
  4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reject your humanity (not in a literal sense, no) or get used to the hurt until it stops.
    Wait, is your crying a condition? If so, then I have no idea.
    What I do to "avoid" crying is disassociate myself from the me and the I. Of course, it has flows since I'm still capable of crying to a certain extent. Caution: causes lack of awareness and may seem indifferent to others pain. It's like turning your 1st person perspective to 3rd person perspective. Emotions become information, and will simply delay the course of information requiring cause and effect in the body and mind.

Good luck, human.

mir and Rutabaga like this.
  5. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    As you said crying is a good thing, but from my personal experience. It’s a matter of focus. If you want to immediately stop. You have to do it like a switch. Your mind is in chaos. Immediately thing something else. Focus on that. Drown out everything else both inside you and out. Hate is a good focus. Errands. School. Job. Something. Than move and complete it. That’s the advice I would give

mir and Rutabaga like this.
  6. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    drink water or think of the most abdsurdest situation in which the atmosphere can be broken

Rutabaga likes this.
  7. maevalily

maevalily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm well I cry really easily, I mean for books and movies and stuff but I tend to get angry if I get yelled at and would only cry in a fight if I was forced to talk or explain myself or open up about my emotions.

so maybe if you’re the type to easily let people's words get to your emotions, try to block that off. Think repetitively of defending yourself and your mind inside your head and in the moment try as much as you can to be “cold” towards the world.

then I think the best thing is to take a hot shower, let go of all that emotion, cry in the shower and let the steam help your sinuses and once you’ve calmed down and let it all out, put it to side and think happy thoughts or read a good comedy on here :bloblove:

hope you’re doing well!

PS: I do agree with Cutter Masterson up there that hate is a good temporary fix when you need to stop crying, but it should be used only if you know it’s not gonna have lasting effects on you and your relationships :blobsweat:

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Rutabaga likes this.
  8. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    A clogged nose and feeling a little disgusted is a worthy sacrifice to let your emotions out. ESPECIALLY if you are a person who rarely cries as you say..........

Rutabaga and aintg like this.
  9. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Well first off, stop thinking of that thing that is making you cry. Or maybe stop trying to keep it in. For me, saying out loud my feelings actually helps. Like complain about what happened that makes you feel like crying. :blobpats: If you keep your feelings in, it'll just keep piling and piling up until you can't hold it in anymore. So I suggest to let it out every now and then so that it doesn't pile up until you burst.
    Of course this is what I observe from myself, and everyone is different so... :bloblove: But I hope that whatever is making you cry gets better. Take care! Feel free to message me in case you have no one else to complain to. :blob_patpat: Feel free okay? :bloblove:

Rutabaga likes this.
  10. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Have u tried journaling
    Like write down everything ur feeling in the moment it helps

Rutabaga likes this.
  11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_patpat: I've experienced the same thing.

First, you should try to remove yourself from the situation. It's best to be alone, since from personal experience, I know that even when my tears are stopping, as soon as I see someone else, they gush out again.

Then, maybe try holding your breath? Try to find the rhythm- right when you're about to gasp- and tamp it down.

Read a novel, watch a movie, play a game. Get your tissues and drink some water.

Hopefully, your sobs will die down! :blobtaco:

Rutabaga likes this.
  12. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I haven't cried for a long time...
    And dunno if this will work on you or not as you have problem with breathing while you cry......
    I take a deep breath with and then exhale...
    It doesn't matter if I'm laughing, crying or fuming , it all stops and I feel cool and calm after that..... And that's how I stop any emotional outburst of mine it's quite effective for me

Rutabaga likes this.
  13. applelollita

applelollita Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Been there , done that , I am you now . I once cried cause my physics teacher asked me question knowing I couldn't answer it and he just let it rip cause he felt like it .

Rutabaga and SylviaViolet like this.
  14. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been quite some time since i actually cried so i can't say for sure. It might be pretty straightforward but i can't really think of something else on the moment, i'm tired too... Stop worrying/thinking/caring about what made you cry

Rutabaga likes this.
  15. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I try to think of happy things, or repeat in my mind, "It isn't that big of a deal", or something along the lines of 'It will end' and try to stop worrying about it. But I usually can't stop and I cry quite a lot... ( _ _)
    So maybe think of things you like, or just go do something you like to try and help it stop. And taking deep breathes usually helps most people. Especially when having a Big Sad™️ and breathing becomes troublesome hard to do.

Rutabaga likes this.
  16. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn’t expect some of them but thanks? I’ll try to actually let it out when I’m alone... I guess. I might manage to control my breathing and tears next time I cry, perhaps. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

maevalily likes this.
  17. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I try to take my mind off of the thing that made me cry . Sometimes pinching myself and trying to control my crying works . I usually let it out but if I’m getting yelled by my parents or in a person public place I try to prevent it . Walking and clearing my thoughts sometime helps Mem .

Rutabaga likes this.
  18. yunaa

yunaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think about something funny and you won't feel sad....and you crying will slow down too~

Rutabaga likes this.
  19. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Crying is fine, but sometimes you're in a condition where it needs to stop immediately. It's like pulling an emergency brake before hitting the cliff. I've sadly experienced that conditions a lot, so perhaps this little tip could help.
    • I suggest that you go to the nearest bathroom, one with a mirror. I've found that staring at my own face silently in the mirror while checking whether the crying ruined my make up or not—putting it back on is such a pain, and i don't have time—presents me with one of the few immediate reasons to stop crying. Aside from that, I've found that looking at my own face while crying—whether it silently and coldly recite the practical and immediate reasons to stop, or just...observing my own crying face blinking—helps me calm down, relax the muscles on my face, and makes me remember my purpose and the reasons why i should immediately stop.
    • My experiences also told me that taking deep breaths is an essential part to control the tears. I'm not sure, but i feel like spending time to actually control my breathing and force it into its normal rhythm helps to stop the urge to cry and i *think* it works with the redness? I'm not sure about the latter part, but the combination of mirror + deep breaths has succeed in making my face not displaying any redness a number of times. It's also help with getting rid that weird little lump in your throats that you got whenever you cry, but you'll want a proper drink to wash it away—perhaps bitter tea, cold water, or any strong-flavored drinks, since sweet things just makes me want to cry away the tears and i need to stay sharp.
    And so, now that you've stopped the urge to cry, dab a little bit of makeup to fix the redness and smile to yourself in the mirror! You got this! Now, it's time to strut away from the bathroom like it's a runway and get ready take down those laughing hyenas or unending mountain of work like a warrior you are! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Westeller and Rutabaga like this.
  20. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I cry like that too, it’s called hyperventilate. I just try to breathe in and breathe out deeply and slowly

Rutabaga likes this.