Question can anyone tell me why romance novels...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by zetsuen_dark, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because they get paid by the word, just like those 1-3 thousand word novels with male MC (I think it also depends on the platform).
    read something like Ascending, Do Not Disturb instead and save yourself the headache if lots of filler and nonsense plot-lines aren't your thing.

2. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider these novels as an introductory one. They are abundant and are usually the one preferred to be translated first (webnovel) or has been adapted to a manhua/manhwa.

3. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point this is just like some cheesy soap opera that goes on for a lot of seasons with repetitive plot. I wonder if the readers stay really for the story or something else.

4. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And also for most 1000+ novels I read the chapters are usually really short. Like short short. I didn’t even finish drinking my cup of water before I finished reading one chapter. It’s that short

5. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they go on and on and on with the same people doing the same old stuff to sabotage the FL again and again. The FL continues to repeatedly suffer and proceed to face slap them throughout the book but apparently it's too hard to deal with them once and for all because she doesn't want to use her super OP love interest to deal with them because she is "Independent". Yep she only relies on him for just about anything else, nothing much.........

Sorry if this came out as too much of a grumble but I don't really hate romances. I just feel like complaining sometimes.

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  6. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    true,,, especially when the text repeatedly tries to establish that she's smart but all i get is a whiny dumbass that can't somehow deal with minor characters without risking her life or making misunderstandings with the ml... sometimes the FL is just much more annoying than the cannon fodders

SylviaViolet likes this.
  7. solivagantsoul

solivagantsoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    okay so to each their own...so obviously there are many tropes even in 1000+ chaptered novels the ones I fancy have the element of face-slaps and OP protagonists and hidden identities(even multiple). I like reading about how that one chick they thought was nothing is actually a big boss behind the scenes. I also enjoy watching the ML's uncover the mc's identity one by one. It's definitely not for everyone but I personally enjoy those novels. I mean who doesn't want to read about a badass MC who is OP :/

now what I would not enjoy are novels about messy family situations on top of messy romance. that's a lot of dog-blood drama. In those stories, the mc is a weak lotus that needs protection everywhere cuz if not she's going o be bullied everywhere all the freaking time! so yeah there is a lot to choose from.

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a lot of romance and I never tried any with 4 digit chapters.

You're probably just looking at Chinese Webnovels that have to have a ton of padding because authors are paid per wordcount... Really, it's the same as why Xianxia often has over 1000+ chapters, it's just how their webnovel system works.

9. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    At least Xianxia can have content to fill it. Dragging Romances over 1000 chapters is torture.....

Things like "Mr.CEO spoil me 100 percent" where they suddenly need to evacuate the entire population due to an apocalypse in the second half of a seemingly normal romance modern setting and "Hidden Marriage" where cultivation suddenly pops up and saves her child who died years ago before being born show up sometimes.

Lots of brain cells wasted in my opinion.

10. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    the fact that i have no words to refute this reflects the pain and helplessness i had to go through while reading all those nonsense

11. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Any novel that reached 1000+ chapters regardless of genre ought to be fillers, fillers and oh yah, more fillers... and yet we still read them sometimes

aShinyVaporeon and zetsuen_dark like this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Truth be told, I don't believe a novel with 1000+ chapters can be good, because... Well, I just can't imagine a novel seriously needing to be that big in order to tell its story.

I just expect a lot of padding, so I gave up on any hopes for those, and ended up deciding I'm not ever reading any of them~

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  13. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, considering the length of the chapters, on a whole 1000+ chapters would be about the length of the Harry Potter series so you can't really say that it can't be good.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  14. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    A good choice. The choice I probably should've made. I went into it since I was really curious then read more since I just got more curious then I broke myself. Great.

I think using Harry Potter series as reference was a bad idea /j

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Can I just say that I think Harry Potter is a reaaaaaaally subpar series that absolutely doesn't deserve its popularity? Like... It's not terrible, but it's pretty mediocre too.

Doesn't help that their main villain is completely one-dimensional and about as boring as it can get, which removes any semblance of appeal the novel could have... >.>

So uhn... Well, I sort of get your point, since stuff like Worm and Wheel of Time are also humongous, and I heard only praises for those two series (though I didn't try them out myself), but still... I can't imagine needing this many chapters to tell whatever you want to tell.

SylviaViolet likes this.
  16. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    I like harry potter but I'm not a really big fan so I'm fine with the opinion. I got my point across..... There are many long series actually. Series with more that 7-8 books are usually longer than the 1000 chapter equivalent and there's quite a few of those that are famous.

aShinyVaporeon and AliceShiki like this.
  17. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it can! I only finished two 1000+ chapter stories (not romance), but I really really liked them!

The King's Avatar (~1.5k chapters)
    Crossing to the Future, It's Not Easy Being a Man (~1.2k (?) chapters but still ongoing)

They're really nice!!! :aww::aww::aww:

18. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice avi.

19. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    No, hold it right there!!! ٩(๑`^´๑)۶

20. Coffea to Ell

Coffea to Ell 【❀ Sleepy Bunny ❀】

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm... not always tho like "a slight smile is very alluring" it's just under 150 chapter. I think it's just because our preference :blobpeek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.