Discussion seinior brother too steady keeps going down in my estimations

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by oatesi, May 9, 2021.

1. oatesi

oatesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all id like to say I still like this novel, its top 5-10 out of the ones that ive read, but as the series goes on it just kinda turns into a mehathon.

the first thing that started making me like it less was linge, i liked the character but shes never really given the time to shine and is pretty much a kept woman, a while ago i had the thought that the mc was basically a groomer, who wanted to keep her beholden to him, i mean at one point(hundreds of years) it was just her and the muscle girl on the mountain and she and the only thing that her character did was get excited to see her senior brother who makes her right sutras for putting effort in(and for his mistakes) this is also annoying because of how he treats the main love interest. also, she's been alive for so many years but she's essentially still a teenager.

luckily the mc actually acknowledges some of this in one of the latest chapters.

to add to the above pooint, almost every other character is useless, the mc literally arranges everything for everyone they literally don't even know how to date without the mc's advice, almost nobody gets the opportunity to shine as individuals, at this point of the story most of the interesting characters have become your classic "wow mc is so amazing" mobs.

another issue i had was when the clam boy wasn't interested in any of the fairies, the author made some comments like it was wrong to be homosexual, which i found weird because for the longest time they had a character that was intersex. small gripe because the mc does accept and says he would support his nephew disciple even if he was gay, but the problem is that the mc is supposed to be a modern human.

one gripe I've had for a long time is that it seems like the author just adds details, facts and people nonchalantly expecting the audience to know what he's on about, I'm talking about the things that arent already explained in the story but rather things that are added out of the blue.

one final gripe is something that happened in the latest chapter that is kind of disappointing, so the mc is a tactician and decent daoist mage already, but over time he's just become a copy-paste battler, I still remember his first fight in the series, the way he'd use all those escape techniques to battle, it would have been cool and more effective if he still fought like that, it'd suit the character more.

LollipoPReapeR and CadmarLegend like this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    He's stronger now, so he doesn't need use escape techniques much, why dodge when you have impenetrable armor and can spam ultis

3. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of Chinese novels have a homophobic tinge to them, which is kinda weird considering how many BL novels I see..

As far as this novel goes, it’s fairly tame I reckon.

But generally I agree. It really loved it for the first 200 chapters or so, but after that it started getting a bit dull? At first it was avoiding cliches, playing super careful and using Earth knowledge in unique ways. Now he’s strong, it’s becoming more Xianxia’y. It’s losing the charm of what made it unique to me. It was also best when no one knew how strong he was. It was funny when he had to go through all these convoluted schemes to avoid attention of any kind, but now that’s rarely done.

The so called ‘fights’ and ‘challenges’ don’t seem to have much weight to them either. If he loses, he has his master to save him/reduce or remove the consequences. If he wins, the opponents just kinda go ‘oh well’ and head off for the next scheme. The opponents seem to also never really suffer from any actual consequences either. They ignore any social consequences and their heads deal with the others.

That being said, it’s still head and shoulders above the usual Xianxia fare without even trying though.

oatesi likes this.
  4. oatesi

oatesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but he's not that strong in a physical fight, his whole thing is being steady, yes training is good for the future but it also seems reckless.

Yeah i agree, it seems like there isnt quite as much narritive weight to the major plot points, the author has to take the idea that immortals wouldnt work with the same concept of time in a direction that makes the story flow weirdly. an example being the god confirment he's always talking about it and things are just on the horrizzon only to find out that its not going to happen for like a thousand years.

LollipoPReapeR likes this.