Question One star rating?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Huahua2000, May 8, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huahua2000

Huahua2000 Average NPC on the internet

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it normal for novel to get one star rating altho there's less than 5 chapters???

2. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the first five chapters have a super bad translation or the author royally fucks up in five chapters i guess so

3. Huahua2000

Reading List:
    Link
    Translation is fine and author hasn't royally fucked anything up.

4. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It's usually very rare except for some hated tags like NTR or Rape. (I don't like them too but I don't think they deserve to get hated by people who hate the tags, just avoid the story.........)

5. Huahua2000

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nth such as that except it's a bl novel. I thought it's just a normal occurrence to get one star so early.

6. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there are a quite a few people who don't like BL but they usually avoid it so I don't really know. I'm sure the ratings will improve in a while when the actual readers start coming in I guess?

7. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are all kinds of people on the internet. It was bound to happen sometime anyway and it was just your bad luck to encounter someone like this early on.

8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, peeps rate a lot of novels 1 or 5 star when it is listed for no reason. Then again considering how fucking dogshit ratings on nu are, well you are better of ignoring the ratings.

riririn and ToastedRossi like this.
  9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the problem is less that this kind of silly rating happens and more that people actually care about what the ratings are in the first place. They're not reliable because any random person can give any random number to anything so why pay attention to them?

10. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we have a bl hater here
    Ignore them and march on!

11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont, I decent amount of nuffians who browse the forum dont either. Unfortunately for new users and people who just use the main site, ratings appear to be a pretty important stat to them.
    Not exactly, a random person giving independent ratings makes for a fine system in theory due to group knowledge and well, statistics. That being said it doesnt seem to work in practice on NU. I would say it is probably due to the popular majority liking meh novels, lack of granularity in the rating system, nu promoting novels with shorter chapters (and thus faster and more frequent release) over others by a large margin etc

TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  12. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it's normal.

Some people (like me) see a novel they've read in the original language that's finally been translated and pop in and write a review based on how far they've read.

Sometimes the novel is just obviously terrible from the start, or the website is so bad that I want to warn people away from it.

And some people just hate a tag, the group translating the novel, whatever. In that case it's better to just hide the tag or group but whatever they want. Ratings have never been amazingly accurate unless they're from a reviewer who has the same tastes as the reader anyway.

zetsuen_dark and TaffyGirl13 like this.
  13. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, this is extremely normal for BL novels.

Apparently, some BL hater trolls just can't filter novels properly or ignore genres they hate, so they have to go search up new BL novels and give them 1 star ratings (without even reading the novel, most likely).

Just ignore them. The ratings will go up in time~

14. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking about something doubtful... Some new novels getting so many 1 stars looks like some kind of sabotage of other sites...

15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I think trolls from this site are enough for sabotage, no need for other sites :blobrofl:

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  16. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe all novel starts their page with a 1-star rating. As if someone dedicated their life to make sure all new projects are rated with 1-star, if not, they will die bleeding from all 7+1 orifices. Since this is such a pressing matter for them, I have learned to ignore 1-star ratings :p

17. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll be fine since it's a BL novel. You'll probably encounter more of this stuff. If you really want to look at the ratings I suggest waiting a few days or at worst weeks and you'll see the ratings climb. It's just that trolls have a lot of time on their hands to rate 1 star on a novel without even reading it. You'll probably ignore the ratings as you read more novels but for now, you can try to just wait.

18. David001

David001 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    May be the novel isn't worth reading because I don't think people do negative rating just for fun

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a ton of people who won't read a book that isn't a certain threshold; usually set at 3.5 or 4. It's ludicrous but it's why people care about these numbers.

20. Kefie

Kefie 《Lazy Pirate》《⚓️》《Step Red Sibling》

Reading List:
    Link
    lots of haters *sigh* this is y i usually base novel off its written reviews and comments instead of just a star number

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.