Thinking of writing a novel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by silentRiri19, May 9, 2021.

1. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Due to reading a lot of novels, I wanted to write my own story. I mainly read Historical Novels(alternate history) such as Mediterranean Hegemon of Ancient Greece, Holy Roman Empire, The King of german mercenaries and the Rise of the European Emperor. I also read vrmmorpg novels like LMS, Taming Master, and OG. These novels are mainly focused on Kingdom Building and that is what I wanted to write. Of course if I just write my own story the same way they are written with these novels I've mentioned, it will boring, predictable, and also cliché. I suddenly came up with the premise of the story but the problem is, I REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF TIME TO RESEARCH DETAILS which will really consume time and at the same time will lose my patience. I'm also thinking of taking it slow but I might lose my attention. I also having problem with the words I will be using. Since English is not my first language and my vocabulary is not that wide, words might be redundant and might be boring (might use wrong choice of words) . I'm just sharing these thoughts since I have no one to talk to. For now, I will start building up the Background details before

MulFunc, mir, ExcitableFoci and 5 others like this.
  2. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Suds73

Suds73 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm thinking of writing one too as a side hobby. I started today and I'm brainstorming what I want for the world I'm trying to build. We can share what we have so far if you want.

4. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck! I would love to read it one day!

Ganbatte <3

MulFunc, imK and silentRiri19 like this.
  5. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do a little every day. You’ll be amazed how much you get done. It’s totally worth it! Even if it is cliche. Trust me. It opens you brain to creative ideas. It will help you with your whole life.

6. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally admire all authors out there because they managed to create a new world out of their ideas. I mean, it is really hard to think all of it and eve if there is a resemblance in other stories, it is still different. Thanks for the advice. Hope you have a good day.

7. AkaNoOu

AkaNoOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck!

MulFunc, imK and silentRiri19 like this.
  8. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, wish you a good day. ☺️

Thanksssssssss mate

It would be an honor if I manage to help you. I've already manage to think of the world I wanted to use. Is there a private message here in nu? I'm just new to it and haven't try its features yet.

Thankssss, I would love read your remark if I managed to publish it one day.

imK and Suds73 like this.
  9. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    I am as well but its been 3 years of pure planning and building the skeletal fram work

imK likes this.
  10. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, good luck! I love reading historical fiction, so let me know if you need some beta reader or something.

Also, there's a private message feature on the site. That envelope icon on the top corner, next to your username. :blobokhand:

imK, Suds73 and silentRiri19 like this.
  11. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks matee, actually I wanted it to be alternate history but that will require lots of details and I'm afraid to be criticized for the inconsistencies of the details since everything is already written in history. So yeah, it's in a different world but with no magic no system

aintg and imK like this.
  12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck!

imK and silentRiri19 like this.
  13. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thankssss mate, just finish adding small details. Probably add again next time if I got an idea

Bobasis likes this.
  14. Suds73

Suds73 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll try and message you because i'm new here too tbh

15. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds fantastic. Look forward to reading it in the future. Consistency is key. Designate a writing space (even a corner of your room) dedicated to writing and do a little every day. Cheering for you.

16. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a wise man once said:

If you wanna become a writer, you gotta read 'The Elements of Style'.

The book is free, as the copyright expired ages ago.

Most concepts are pretty basic but it helps to have some lines to follow.

17. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is some advice: most novels are written and rewritten a few times by the author, and also edited by the editor. So while you need to know some things ahead of time because it might have a big impact on the plot, small details can be changed later. If you have a scene in your mind, but it will happen later in the story, write it down now. It is better to have some writing that you can't use, then to forget a scene you really liked and not be able to use it. You will have to write a lot of pages that you can't use in order to get a good book at the end; this is just part of the process, so don't be afraid to start writing. Your writing (and your English) will get better with practice, so even the pages you have to delete still helped you practice writing and made your book better. Don't worry about having a small vocabulary. You can edit things later or get help editing them. Good luck!

aintg, Suds73, imK and 1 other person like this.
  18. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll read it. Thankssss for the suggestion.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  19. Suds73

Suds73 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone wants to read the rough draft of the prologue, I put it up in Community Fictions. I don't know if you're allowed to self promote or not but anyone that wants to get a feel of how the story goes can do so. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for letting you guys know it's ready to read. :blobsweat:

20. ClydeJohnson

ClydeJohnson Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish you good luck!
    I also wanted to write my own story, I was not interested in history in college, I liked philosophical reflections on life. But in college, there were various unforeseen situations and there was not enough time for this.
    They say that your student time will be remembered for the rest of your life ... Yes, yes, naive people, perhaps they are right. Personally, I remember only one thing - I never managed to cope with all the tasks I had in college. And I don't blame anyone for that. Perhaps I'm just absent-minded by nature, I'm not very good at disciplining myself, and in general, I don't like doing what I don't like. Like all normal people.

I went to college with the hope that this would be the best time of my life, and it might have been if it had not ... Yes, yes, you guessed it right, if not a huge mountain of assignments that I hate.

I cannot say that I do not like to study. On the contrary, it makes a lot of sense. I just don't like the feeling of being overwhelmed with tasks that you can't physically handle. Because it is physically impossible to cram such an amount of information into your brain, to process it and produce a high-quality result.

The first year I was counting only on my own strength. I didn’t sleep at night. I forgot to eat. I lost weight and looked exhausted. In the second year of study, I realized that I needed to prioritize more correctly.

My roommate told me that there are special services that help students in need. The main task is to find the best assignment writing service that will not let you down in a difficult situation. Using the recommendation of a friend of mine, I turned to such a company when I felt that I could not write a line anymore. And it worked. Guys, I recommend that you stop killing your time and health, and allow yourself to accept help when you really need it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021