LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He spoke about it with Rodcorte after that and I think a second time since then as well. The problem there is that in order to do so he needs to completely disable Vida and wipe out her system, then move the non monsters over.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  2. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be cool if the story actually explained what taming is at some point. As in, does it just mean that the thing with you will obey your commands? 'Cause soldiers follow the orders of their commanders.

Side note, but I forgot that there are implications Orbaume does have some treaties with isolated groups of Vida's kiddos apart from Scylla. I'd been assuming that that meant Lamia since their bad reputation does not involve eating people but rather that they're just really possessive. So I'm wondering if there're any tribes of Arachne with similar treaties since the chapter indicates that people know where they live.

I was about to mention that it's weird that Juliana already looks nine but then I remembered she was born from the DK's oviducts so I guess she should probably need some magic life extension in a few years since she's aging at a freak rate thanks to that and has a shortened lifespan.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  4. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She may not have shortened lifespan, she may grow fast to adult form and stop aging and live for 500 years.

Lucresia and Korleone like this.
  5. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She SHOULD have the shortened lifespan giving her clearly accelerated aging, but it's irrelevant because she's best buds with Van. I mean, I think that's why the author made the oviducts work the way they do: To make Juliana plot relevant as quickly as possible instead of making her a second Pauvina but without the benefit of being born at the start of the story. The downside to her birth is then nullified with the infinite lifespan and resource generator known as Vandalieu.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Vida's People got very long lives

7. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who are you talking to?

8. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    The comment above me

9. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. Minotaurs are not descended from Vida. They're a mutant evolution of ogres. Juliana is not one of Vida's races, she's a new mutant species created by Van. She could mutate further in the future as Van uses magic on her or whatever but for the moment I think we should basically assume she's functionally a female minotaur or half minotaur half human. Further, her birth was the result of a DK artifact that quickens reproduction but decreases lifespan, sorta like how gehenna bees spawned via skill rather than birthed naturally die faster, so ze queen does not do it normally.

Juliana isn't going to die young, but the implication is that she would if not for Van. But she wouldn't even still be alive if not for Van so it hardly matters. Well, that or a catatonic prostitute working alongside limbless Natania in a creepy fetish brothel like originally planned.

10. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Juliana isn't one of Vida's children though. Her "mother" was a human and her "father" was a minotaur.

So she's not going to get the extended life span of Vida's children.

But like others said Van can reverse aging and extend life spans forever so it doesn't really matter.

exactly.

something I Keep having to explain to the "Heinz fanclub" is that criticism against Heinz does not mean he's a poorly written character.

Actually he's written quite well.... which is why it's actually a disservice to his character to try to justify his actions and make him out to be the hero he himself thinks he is.

Part of the point of Heinz character is to show someone who willingly abandons critical thinking for the sake of not facing an inconvenient reality. Again the BEST example of this if the Ghouls but he does the same thing with other races of Vida.

Even though he had all the evidence in the world that the Ghouls were not undead and were at least sentient enough to be reasoned with, he didn't even try and wiped out entire villages for money. He tries to make the excuse about them attacking humans but that's clearly ignoring the fact Ghouls rarely ever leave devils nests so the fact humans fall to them is more often due to humans attacking them first. Even if that weren't the case the fact is with humans treating ghouls as undead they'd have little reason to try and reason with humans who don't try to do the same.

It must be kept in mind Heinz claims himself to be a champion of the innocent and defender of the oppressed. But he never actually makes an effort to change the status quo. He does minor things like stop bandits and bust up slave traffickers. IT's not that these aren't great things to do. But with his power and influence he could do so much more.

What's ironic is we see from Van's perspective that the Lords of various regions are doing Heinz's job better than he is in an effort to curry favor with him. But this only applies to lords who were already not especially against the races of Vida. Meaning it still does little to prevent the greater issues of genocide, enslvement, ect. done on a larger scale.

He doesn't ask questions, and he doesn't try to really break the status quo. He instead just threw his lot in with the peaceful faction of Alda's church and adopted their ideology without quesiton and became their spokesman. Which is no different from how he was at the very start of the story except back them he was a traditional believer of Alda in the empire that officially oppresses the races of Vida.

But again this isn't saying he's a poorly written character. He's intentionally written with this character flaw so that he can serve as a satisfying antagonist. He's not trying to be evil, but he's intentionally naive to the reality of the world and sometimes naive good can be even worse than evil.

Eddy andres likes this.
  11. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Van: We must prepare to battle all of Alda's forces.
    Alda's Sub gods: Van-sama is dreamy, quick send a divine message to our heroes we must help however we can.

12. metazoxan

Reading List:
    Link
    apparently it's only the ones that had some relationship to darkness like the goddess of dark clouds or whatever.

13. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a couple things to keep in mind here. And sorry but this will be a long post, but if people are tired of this argument feel free to say so and I can stop here.

First, Van is absolutely not unbiased when it comes to Heinz. We shouldn't expect him to be, but it still means you need to take what he says with a grain of salt. Van says that Heinz was doing nothing for Vida's races at all, pretty much, when we know he has actually stopped many slave rings and made the peaceful faction the dominant religion for Alda's religion. Second, tying into that, it's good to keep in mind what the difference between these factions is.

Mainline Alda believers think anything with a rank is evil and needs to die. This is pretty much in line with Alda himself. Extremists think they all need to go, no exceptions, and also rice is evil. The peaceful faction is like "If it's possible to communicate with them I guess we can grace them with the right to continue breathing the same air as us." It's a bit condescending but basically something Van can agree with. The issue is that we don't know who it does and does not apply to. The last chapter indicates that it mostly like does extend to Arachne because Van didn't really have to through a huge effort to get Gizania in. I think Myuze basically got in because people literally didn't even know what she was so I don't know if Empusa get a pass.

Ghouls don't qualify, but people have been primed to accept them. Majin probably don't qualify either at present because I think their reputation is so bad that it's pretty difficult to do anything about it at present. Vampires probably don't qualify but the story has stressed on like every occasion that this is a justified and fair position. Also Alda has a particular dislike for them so I suspect that vampires are likely the one race that Alda's church won't budge on without a huge effort. Noble orcs, high goblins and kobolds, the undead and so on are definitely not included. Lizardmen actually do seem to engage in trade with the human races on a limited basis so I don't actually know the church's position on them.

Now, before this, keep in mind a third thing: What was called the peaceful faction until this point was more like the mainstream faction and the two big players here were Amid and Orbaume. Amid took a position somewhere between extremist and mainstream: It was legal to enslave dark elves at any point, but it wasn't illegal to just BE one and even the church frowned on trying to persecute Vida's followers. Kill anything with a rank on sight. Orbaume, meanwhile, was a case by case study but in general fell somewhere between mainstream and peaceful. Dark elves and so on are absolutely safe in cities, though occasionally discriminated against in a way similar to, say, racism in the US, especially the south. Treaties with friendly tribes exists with the explicit example of the Scylla and implicitly a few other ranked races, though Scylla have the best reputation among them to the point where Orbaume just straight up doesn't really accept subjugation requests against them.

So you've got 'very bad' and 'kinda racist,' neither of which are great. Now, after Heinz gets here and starts campaigning, the extremist faction has grown much weaker after his conversion attempts and most of the mainstream folks have been shifting towards the peaceful faction as a result of the campaigning Heinz is doing. Because that is a big thing that Heinz is doing that Van doesn't acknowledge because of his biases. It's a huge deal and it's actually making things easier for Van.

Think of it this way. In the last two chapters, Van casually strolls up to a city with an Arachne and an Empusa and after a brief check to see that everything is okay, they are all let through. One knight wants them let through immediately and the other knight pauses because he isn't sure about the safety of allowing the dog through. He doesn't hit the spider lady, the minotaur lady or the lady with blades on her arms through because he isn't sure if they can take a punch and considers them less dangerous than the doggy. And also because he doesn't want to hit a girl, which I think is meant to show an acknowledgement that they are people, not JUST monsters. This is a massive improvement given that two of these races are kill on sight to the point one of their races is basically unknown because efforts to exterminate them went so well. In the last arc we also had the city having cleaned up somewhat because they wanted Heinz to like them, which opened up new employment opportunities for beastmen. They were still in a bit of an inferior position, but it's an improvement nonetheless, and it is thanks to Heinz.

TLDR, Heinz is basically the opening act here. He's not as good as Van, but the audience liked him and thanks to him they're in a good mood and much more willing to listen. Remember what that old knight's primary concern was? He was worried that Van was a slaver trying to smuggle in merchandise and was worried more about the girls themselves than the possibility they might rape and eat men because they are vicious monsters. Heinz has actually done quite a lot of good. He could have done better, but he could have done a lot worse as well.

Heinz's movement and Alda's peaceful faction aren't enough on their own. They doesn't include a lot of races and some of those races are non negotiable from their POV, most notably including vampires and the undead. However, the story has noted at numerous points that their concerns are actually pretty valid: The story has never defended vampires apart from the Vida worshippers and even Vida's church teaches that you should just pacify the undead before killing them, so Alda's church not wanting to budge on them isn't crazy. So while I agree the author is trying to emphasize that Heinz has a lot of personal problems that make him something of a ticking time bomb or self defeating, I disagree with the notion that he's meant to be anything like an outright villain. He has done a LOT of good.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  14. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, the existence of the peaceful faction of Alda has brought a change to Lambda, because it has opened people's eyes that there is another way with his words and with the presence of Heinz, he has opened the doors to nobles who for want to get their attention, they take the opportunity to proclaim proposals for coexistence that they did not dare to take for fear of the normal and extremist, but they go there, they are a good tool to allow others to bring change, including Van, who is more than willing to take advantage and promote the extremism of Life, but as an organization, individually they do not do much, mainly not to be too against the main branch, they are not bad, and their contribution is appreciated, so I would say that the world is better with them, but heinz as a faction icon, you could have put any adventurer ranked or even a party with ranks A, and the result would be similar.

About Van's prejudices, you are wrong in approach, Van does not hate the peaceful faction because this Heinz, he does not even hate them, but he does not establish relations with them, for the same reason that he does not establish relations with the annexationist faction of Vida, because They are pro alda factions, and there is a list of reasons why he does not want to enter into relationships with anything related to Alda, prejudices from past events, his nature that makes him unable to accept charity from Heinz applies equally, for that hatred of the dependence and oppression that would make him walk through the capital of Amid shirtless and with pants full of pink hearts (which in Lambda standards translates to having a pair like cathedral bells), very different doctrines and would be a risk for unnecessary leakage of information, in addition to putting at risk the lives of followers who may receive divine messages.

Heinz is not a villain, but he lacks a lot to be considered a true hero, he hardly leaves his comfort zone, he goes the easy way too much and so far we have not seen him risk or sacrifice something for his cause or for a individual or group outside of it (and I'm not just referring to Fantasy standards, for modern people, it does not reach the level of a modest doctor, perhaps the leader of an NGO, but that a good part of their job is to collect signatures and then that another group takes over). even randolph, who is not, does not want and never was, has more hero wood. but once again, he's not necessarily the bad guy, but he's not even close to a saint.

15. metazoxan

Reading List:
    Link
    See what you're doing is selectively ignoring facts presented by the story. "I've decided this is biased so it's invalid" except the story is told largely from a third party perspective with inner monologues of other characters thrown in.

BUt the story itself is not entirely from Van's perception and is more just ... focused around him. As such there is no reason to discredit any information given especially in such an overly broad manner.

Besides Heinz himself admitted that he ignored the issue of the Ghouls and intentionally stopped himself from connecting the dots. You are free to your own opinion but you need to stop glossing that over. He KNEW something wasn't right but murdered women and children anyway. You can't just sweep that way with petty excuses not when he had the chance to ask questions and intentionally didn't.

Willful ignorance is not an excuse.

Incorrect. Van actually condemed the peaceful faction's behavior of "you can breath the same air as us" when he confronted Heinz. It's a large part of his ultimate reasoning for standing against Heinz beyond his own personal feelings.

Van pointed out the hypocracy of the "peaceful" faction and how their so called coexistence was more simply allowing Vida's races to live rather than treating them as people. But at the same time Van does passively tolerate the peaceful faction like in the merchant city he was willing to just let them do their thing. So while he doesn't approve of them he doesn't outright hate them either.

But ultimately their actions are really just a half baked middle ground which is why Van ultimately supports Vida's faction only as only Vida allows him and his friends to live freely as actual people.

Incorrect. Again you're altering the facts a bit for your own narrative. FIrst of all the Peaceful faction was not "basically mainstream" before Heinz. It just had less authority.

Secondly Heinz is nothing more than a poster boy for the group. Anyone could do the same. Also helping the peaceful faction gain influence doesn't change the fact the peaceful faction is ultiamtely half baked and doesn't change the fact Heinz himself never tries to question anything and never really makes sacrifices for the races of VIda. He beats up weak bandits and slavers. None of them are a threat to him and he makes no effort to take out the larger injustices. Again Van does call him out on this and Heinz's only response is to condem Van for saving the Titains from slavery because his way of doing it hurt the economy.

What you're not understanding is Van is fully aknowleding what Heinz has done. But you're failing to realize that what Van and the author are saying is Heinz isn't doing as much good as it at least looks. He does surface level stuff but that's in. You could say he's treating the symptoms but not the disease. He acts like he's trying to do that by supporting the peaceful faction but again he stops at helping on the surface.

Ultimately the problem is he's only taking enough actions to resolve his feelings of guilt regarding Darcia. As well as enough actions to create his public image of hero. He stops trying to help people and stops trying to change things after that objective has been met. He didn't try to help the titains, he didn't try to help the scylla, and he didn't try to even spare the ghouls.

These were all situations he had a chance to get involved in but chose to remain ignorant on. Again Van calls him out on this and he fails to give a proper justification. Meaning he can't gloss this over as "van bais".

What you're describing is purely other people doing things. Yes you can argue Heinz helped get the ball rolling but you're proceeding to act like this means their actions are his actions by proxy. It doesn't work that way and it doesn't change the facts on what Heinz himself directly does.

You can't use that to gloss over the crimes he continues to commit. And I'm not ignoring his efforts by saying this but what we're discussing is Heinz character and true nature. Not what domino effects he helped start. Again this isn't to say Heinz is evil, but he's not as good as you're making him out to be.

Also keep this in mind. Alda himself is only supporting Heinz in order to try to counter Van's own peaceful nature. Because if Alda kept sticking to his extreme views the world would turn against him as it slowly realized Van doesn't want to destroy or rule over the world. Meaning Alda's support of the peaceful faction is all a lie to win support prior to the war against Van.

This is another reason Van is correct in rejecting the peaceful faction. Because he's more aware of the will of the gods he knows what Alda really wants and knows the peaceful faction is wrong in it's interpretation of Alda's true will.

TL:DR- Ultimately it all boils down to two critical issues.

1. Heinz does not truely view the races of Vida as people. He views them more like creatues worthy of protection. He demonstrates this when he condems Van for taking actions to save the races of Vida that ultimately caused trouble for human society. Meaning for him inconveniencing human society is not worth saving the races of vida. That's also why the actions he takes only go so far as dealing with bandies, slavers, and other criminals. They are more like pets to him.

THe changes in society are done purely by the peaceful faction that just uses Heinz as a spokesperson. Again this does mean Heinz existence has a positive influence. But because of the passive manner it's achieved it doesn't really reflect on his actual character. What he's willing to do himself is actually very surface level only

2. Eddy above actually phrased it beast "Heinz is not a villain, but he lacks a lot to be considered a true hero, he hardly leaves his comfort zone, he goes the easy way too much and so far we have not seen him risk or sacrifice something for his cause or for a individual or group outside of it (and I'm not just referring to Fantasy standards, for modern people, it does not reach the level of a modest doctor, perhaps the leader of an NGO, but that a good part of their job is to collect signatures and then that another group takes over). even randolph, who is not, does not want and never was, has more hero wood. but once again, he's not necessarily the bad guy, but he's not even close to a saint.".

These are facts established by the overall story and it's why no matter how much people argue otherwise Heinz is not a true hero. He's more just playing one for his own ego and consience.

heroeric and Tarrian like this.
  16. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bit difficult to understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think you've said anything that disagrees with my position. Apart from saying that Randolf is more heroic than Heinz because he isn't. He's an admitted contract killer and was going to murder Natania and Juliana because it was more convenient to him. He's more honest than Heinz, I suppose? But that only gets you so far. His character arc from this point will probably put him in a better position but as of now his actions have really not been very heroic.

Pardon, but I am actually refuting words that come out of Van's own mouth. The arguments he makes against Heinz are by definition arguments that HE makes against Heinz, thus I am not refuting things said by the story. I am refuting things said by a character IN the story. I feel like you're strawmanning my position as well. Not once did I make the argument that Heinz is a perfect pretty angel, I merely said that his faction has done a lot of good that Van either does not acknowledge or does not value.

Okay, for a few paragraphs after that you don't actually address my arguments, so I don't feel the need to respond to what you're saying because you aren't actually engaging with me. However, at one point you say that anyone could have done what Heinz has done. You are factually wrong. Heinz is a Guider. He is vastly more influential than a person who is not because he has supernatural powers of persuasion. Also, saying anyone else could have done it is disingenuous because they didn't. Heinz did.

While my phrasing was a bit tricky, I take issue with saying "FIrst of all the Peaceful faction was not "basically mainstream" before Heinz. It just had less authority." I believe you are misunderstanding what I said, which may be due to issues with the wording I used. What I said was that that was referred to as the peaceful faction BEFORE is now basically the mainstream faction and Heinz's peaceful faction is a step beyond that. To summarize what I said, the extremists are vastly reduced in influence, the former peaceful faction is now the baseline faction and beyond that is the faction that Heinz represents. Basically, etremists: Kill anything descended from Vida. Former mainstream: Kill anything with a rank: Former peaceful, now mainstream: They can live if they stay in their little hidey holes. Current peaceful: Can't we all just get along, apart from the icky vampires, majin, ghouls, undead and monsters? You'll note that I did say that there are good reasons Van rejects this. Still, it's a helpful message for people to have heard before he got to them because it leaves them more receptive to what he is trying to say. Heinz's work has actually made Van's job easier.

Not to be rude, but I don't feel the need to address anything else you've said as you have completely missed the point of my argument. I was not arguing that Heinz has done nothing wrong, I was arguing that he has had an obvious, visible and often story acknowledged level of success. Like that beastman guard explicitly got that job because the city lord loosened restrictions on what jobs he can hold because someone altered the city's laws to appease Heinz. You cannot deny that without falling into the issue you just accused me of and ignoring the third person narrator.

CountryMage and Shaman Ray like this.
  17. Mastine

Mastine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Enough.
    We know what Heinz is. He's the typical otherworld protagonist in thousands of isekai novels without being the PoV character to justify his actions.
    You can point to just about ANY novel on this site with the Isekai tag and find the same harem seeking, s*ave owning but I'm horni protagonist. Most of them even LOOK the same.

Eddy andres likes this.
  18. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm confused. We're talking about Heinz, why did you just describe Van? And he IS the PoV character, that's why what he does is justified.

CountryMage and Shaman Ray like this.
  19. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, lets change the topic. Lets talk about authors mistakes or things he wrote without thinking. Like Rodcorte reincarnation system. I am reading from start again and I think reincarnations system of Rodcorte can't exist as author described it. At last Rodcorte can't make it.

Author wrote if someone soul was destroyed it will produce error in reincarnation system and make someone be born without soul. This mean system needs to know when someone will die and after he die system will need to make some women become pregnant. Or at last kill someone when his new body are born. Otherwise it can't work. How can it assign soul of living to new born if it don't know when someone will die or will be born? Rodcorte are not god of time, so he can't know future, Rodcorte are not god of fate, so he can't know fate.
    Also, for his system to work, one person needs to die and one needs to be born. If only one die but two are born at the same time, one baby will be without soul.
    Other problem is, if new world is born it don't have souls, so who is reincarnated in this world? From where souls are taken? Also if all worlds he manages population increase from where he gets souls for new born?
    This is why Rodcorte reincarnation system just can't exist. At last how author described it.

Other thing I don't understand. Time in Earth, Origin and Lambda flow at the same speed. Daemon King come to Lambda 100k years ago. At the time humans on Earth did not had technology. Gods could only summon stone age people from Earth at the time. If time god used his powers and summon humans from future Earth it means he summon souls who don't exist in Rodcorte system, they will only exist at his system after 100k years. And Rodcorte should not even know about it, because he is not god of time. But this is more possible than Rodcorte reincarnation system.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  20. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it just needs to detect the death.
    The system likely has a function for retrieving souls from the world, which uuneath delays but does not stop, and soul destruction triggers it somehow (system looks for a flag that is there for both) it then "retrieves" the soul and puts in in line processing/reincarnation. Except for soul destruction the spot in line is empty but it has moved on to the next one.