Discussion Hating Very Long Titles

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nepagear, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nepagear

Nepagear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hate novels with a really long ass titles like this impromptu title "I transmigrated with the hero, and for being not cool I was thrown of outside the kingdom, so I wanna kill them by using this cheat the evil god gave me..." etc I mean why the fuck would they put the plot in the title!! what's the point of reading the summary or plot whatever!!!! just ranting lol

2. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha. I think it's become a sort of a custom for short novels to have large titles. Though, most novels with large titles have a short alternate title as well. Some of them do, at least.

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  3. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it's another thing I base my criteria for novels nowadays. Even if the rating is above 4, I will never read "I got reincarnate into another world but then got betrayed so I now live alone in some far off place but not really because I got super amazing by lvl 3."

Oh and the super annoying "~" symbols in titles. It really pisses me off for some reason, and it's an indicator to me that there will be no weight to consider in the novel.

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's what I heard: you know that Syosetu has tons of novels, right? With the overwhelming amount of novels, readers might miss your title. Even worse, they mighn't even bother clicking on the title to take them to the synopsis. So, what do you do? Insert a brief synopsis as title, so that readers can, at first glance, decide whether what they glean from the title intrigues them enough to choose to proceed further.

They serve a somewhat similar function in NU too; every time I see a long-ass JP title, I skip. :blobwhistle:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  5. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Most webnovels have long titles because it's very difficult to have short, meaningful ones that don't clash, not to mention novels that change titles while in the middle of publication. And short ones with extremely long titles is also a meme on itself, so fat chance they stop anywhere soon.
    Short alternative titles tend to be fan-based (there are cases where the author explicitly mentions that they had been using different short titles before that one spread).

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  6. Ricelord

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope the meta changes because I have not tried a Japanese novel since I dropped off of classroom of the elite.

MisterBubbles and otaku31 like this.
  7. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As if you don't know how many novels there are in syosetu alone, it's inevitable they use that name, not because they wanted it.

8. Ricelord

Reading List:
    Link
    Some CN novels have started to follow the trend and I hate it.

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  9. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    My blood boils out of pure annoyance once I see a title hitting 2 or 3 sentences. It's so obnoxious and I don't think I have ever liked a single one that I bothered trying to read that has a title that long.

I've opted out from reading such stories anymore, titles that are too long have become a red flag for me.

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't agree with the OP. I sort of like this trend and I'd like to see it continue to be popular on Syosetu.

And this is exactly why it's good! Having a title like this instantly tells us that the book is going to be awful before you even finish reading the title! It's commendable that writers place so much value on their (non-)reader's time and they're providing an indispensable service.

brigs11 and Fuyuneko like this.
  11. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    The long titles on jp novels... *sigh* I feel ambivalent about it because it kinda ruined the purpose of titles but since it just helps me filter through other jp novels without having to be baited by a synopsis and waste my time so I don't really think it's THAT bad. Really annoying though.

12. Evil-Staar

Evil-Staar New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmmm. Sometime autor bored from his work, but continues it for the money or fans thats send messeges to him. And novels like thats really bad literature. But when artist continue love this world - why not?

13. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbf titles are kind of there to (a) uniquely identify a novel and (b) Attract readers.
    Considering long titles is the current meta-strat for titls on syosetsu, it meets requirement (b). And it the series is popular, the long titles will get an unique abbreviation which is more than enough to satisfy (a).

15. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too. I just feel uncomfortable with long titles. I know I'm totally judging it without giving it a chance but somehow long titles deter me from actually reading the novel.

16. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    If you put it that way, it would actually make sense. Knowing it and agreeing with it though usually doesn't come hand in hand.
    Like I said, I do know the purpose of the long titles but accepting it is a different matter. I still find it really annoying

17. Aki Aki

Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki ⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Aki finds it funny that they give such long titles and then shorten it to two half-words.

aintg likes this.
  18. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing I found fascinating when I started reading web novels. I just didn't understand why it has to be that way. I mean, couldn't the author makes a long title that doesn't necessarily describe everything that's going to happen in the novel? Where is the surprise? But yeah, after reading some posts here, I suppose it's kinda make sense, though I still prefer concise title.

19. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like them because the titles are funny to read every time a new king comes to NUF :blobrofl:

But I agree, I don't like reading those novels~

20. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    shousetsuka ni narou's site design, actually. They don't show the summary of the story, so people can't help but put the summary as the title.

Blame those people, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.