Recommendations Regression novels, but-

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Overclock, May 8, 2021.

1. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi. I was hoping to see if there are any novels where the the mc will regress/reincarnate back to the past, but the novel starts off from the first timeline. Basically we see all or some of the events, mistakes, and missed opportunities a mc usually experiences and then he gets the chance to go back in time.

The idea just came to me and seems like a great way to shake up the go back to the past and become OP formula and so I was hoping such a novel already existed.

Paps likes this.
  2. Deleted member 318062

Deleted member 318062 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, Techinically a rebirth?
    Maybe try: The Beggining after the end
    It fits your theme pretty well*

Overclock likes this.
  3. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you want a story where we get both timelines playing at the same time? I think I read one where we got sinneps of flashbacks about mistakes, but I can't remember.

Overclock likes this.
  4. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not necessarily at the same time. Essentially if you weren't spoiled you wouldn't even know this was a regression/go to the past novel.

For example take a tower climbing novel with 100 floors. The mc gets transported to the tower and we see some of his exploits from floor 1 to 50. We see what he goes through, big events in the tower from his perspective who likely isn't playing a key role, we hear of some missed opportunities like xxxxx potion or a secret floor, and we see the event in detail that led him to regress rather than a few short paragraphs. Then the novel follows the standard of a protagonist using future knowledge to get ahead, learning more of what was actually going on and such.

I was reading a novel where a protagonist got the chance to shortly go into the past and prepare for the apocalypse and I found that actually knowing or hearing of these characters made that arc much more interesting and meaningful. And you have a better understanding of the power system and or more interested in seeing how he is messing with his powers while very weak.

Paps likes this.
  5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I may be wrong but I think what you are going for is a bit more in a Time Loop novels wheel house. The whole having the first go written in detail part atleast.

Essentially if I have it right... the author writes all or most of the first go in the time travel/regression story, then we get into the actual using future knowledge part to become OP that is the staple of most all these novels... on this site and the webnovel community atleast.

It would be interesting to see this done but I've a feeling it would be almost prohibitively difficult. Timeloops use the first run as the foundation for the entire story either as a concept or a real base such as MoL. This makes it easier and essential to add such detail to the first go as they are usually far more contained and manageable in length of time or essential in what needs to be written they are not so expansive as to cover and entire journey as it would in the tower climb example.
    To add the level of detail over such an amount of time would likely take the better part of a book if not more. To then return to the beginning for another entry and keep readers engaged and not just hunting or skimming for differences.... difficult. I'd think atleast.

I've personally no examples that I can think of that perfectly fit. I've a few that may be close enough though if you'd care to check them out.

The Perfect Run (on RR)

The First 15 lives of Harry August

It's the closest I can think of. The former he starts with great use of his abilities but by God do you see him stumble whenever he starts a new loop.

The latter being a traditionally published novel. No superpowers really. Just people who return to go and do not collect $200.
    That being said we see all the lives. See all the stumbles and grow with Harry into what he becomes. There are enough other looping people that nothing is ever delved on too much so honestly less looping even though it is the conceptual bedrock of the story.
    One of my only 10/10's as well.

Not great for your ask but the closest I can think of after some time.

Overclock likes this.