Discussion TOO MANY ACTION SCENES!!!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by efo, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efo

efo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished The Transmigrated Senior Martial Brother novel and... ALMOST 90 PERCENT OF IT WAS ACTION SCENE, at some point I wanted to puke. okay there might be or should be some action scenes at this kind of novels and I'm not against it but... this is TOO MUCH that I started to skip those scenes...

seriously, it might have been a great novel if it wasn't wasted like that.:blob_teary:

please tell me what do guys think about the novels that has too many action scenes.

Elementarteilchen and otaku31 like this.
  2. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    Most xianxias/vrmmorpgs feel that way to me. It's always fighting, preparing to fight or running way from one. Or involves some other kind of competition. I just want several arcs wihout any of this stuff :(

otaku31 and efo like this.
  3. efo

efo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SAME:blobsob:

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Xianxia is basically one interminable sequence of hit-and-run. :sushi_sigh:

5. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't people just start fast reading all the young master fights once they've read enough Xianxia anyway? I just stop and read it carefully if I find something interesting in them... Only in some rare novels which have a completely different power system like Douluo Dalu or Coiling Dragon, did I read each fight carefully...

LastEnD, efo and otaku31 like this.
  6. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the reason why the novels that focus on the journey are so popular.
    Especially among seasoned readers.

efo likes this.
  7. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    aintg and efo like this.
  8. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst are the fights that last multiple chapters. Like each chapter is one move plus a bunch of comments from the peanut gallery.

And as much as I would like to skip the fights, considering translation pace and how much of the total book the fights take up, if I did actually skip, I'd barely have anything to read.

efo likes this.
  9. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial Master has been nothing but 1 move and some blabbering per chapter for the past couple of months.....which equated to roughly 10 chapters per sequence.....

pain peko.....:sushi_chubby:

LollipoPReapeR and efo like this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read much stuff with regular action scenes in them these days... Only ones I can think of are One Piece, because I have been reading it since forever anyways, so I'm not gonna stop now... And a novel I'm translating, because I'm getting paid.

Pretty much everything else I read tends to be fluffy and cute slice of life or romance~

efo likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm tempted to agree as I think that action scenes are most effective if they're nicely spaced out and are given room to breathe. Overload this and there will be a lot of inconsequential fights that just blend into one another.

That said, I'm reading a book right now that largely violates this rule. It's all battle all the time, and they come in different forms large and small. However, it's a war novel and the battles are fought for specific objectives and involve different military units using different tactics. There's enough there to give these battles tension and enough variety to keep them interesting. It's not something easy to pull off and I doubt that the vast majority of writers are capable of doing so.

efo likes this.
  12. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost every xianxia novels are like that.... Or they are filled with dao and crap....

efo likes this.
  13. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a lot of novels that are at 100+ chapters unread that I read a few chapters, bookmark the novel, and put it aside for later. I don't need to read three arcs of the same thing over and over again, but if I basically enjoy how the author writes it I don't mind reading the first arc, then after a break reading the second arc, then after another break reading the third arc.

It's not just Xianxia or CN, any web novel can fall victim to that, but there's no rule that you have to read it all at once, and once you notice the story is biased toward action scenes, you'll enjoy it more if you only read it when you feel like reading action scenes and put it back once you've scratched the itch.

efo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.