censorship

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by riida, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kind of reminds me of how Sony has no problem censoring certain games for the Eng. release but is fine with having R-rated content in some of their movies.

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think both of these... questions.. have been answered enough already, but since no staff member has said anything yet, I'll chime in.

Yes, some "bad words" are censored on Novel Updates because advertisers are a pain in the ass. There's no real mystery here, and this is easy to understand. Reviews are... more complicated.

Reviews are all initially visible only to the author of said review until it's been approved. @Tony manually approves all reviews, and, believe me, doesn't have any particular bias when doing so. Reviews are only ever rejected for reasons that should be common sense - for example, reviews that say nothing about the novel being "reviewed". Reviews that are just advertisements. Etc.

Reviews can be rejected after they've been approved, yes, if they're found later to have just slipped by him. It's not like he's perfect, and he has to .. review.. a fair number of reviews.. every single day.

Review approval is a holdout from Novel Updates' younger days. The site was a passion project, designed to help Tony keep track of his own reading, and was not designed to be managed by others. There are many things staff - like me - can't do, simply because he has never had time to build in more extensive management tools. Approving reviews isn't something only Tony does, but something only Tony can do. Similarly, the amount of interaction Novel Updates has with its contributors - all of you - is fairly limited. There's simply no system in place to inform you that your review has been rejected. There should be, and I think it's always been something Tony intends to implement, but there are just.. too many things that have to be done. For Novel Updates, for Scribble Hub, and he's the only one working on them.

If you have questions or concerns about the status of your review, you can PM @Tony here on the forums or email Novel Updates.

LaDyViL, asriu and Astaroth like this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    slap him slam him push it down so such feature implemented~

LaDyViL likes this.
  4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You....you're telling West to push down Tony????

I approve! Yes! This better be uncensored :blobnosebleed:

Westeller and asriu like this.
  5. riida

riida Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so it's normal that 28 of my reviews cannot be seen by other users? even reviews from 5 years back where nothing is "bad enough" to be censored?

6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMG_20210513_231531.jpg

IMG_20210513_231653.jpg

I see them. What's exactly your problem? Make a new thread or submit a report about your problems. This is a dead thread by now.

Locked for necro.

Mnotia, Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.