Discussion Hating Very Long Titles

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nepagear, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reaper.ChaosKamifumetsu

Reaper.ChaosKamifumetsu ‖True Chaos‖Twisted Prodigy‖True Energy‖Gamer God‖

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not exactly hate them cause you can observe that those which describe the plot in the novels title are rarely good
    and it helps me filter things that i dont like

2. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're doing us all a great service. They tend to show us that the writer can't describe their story in a succinct and interesting way, so we can expect similar writing to follow.

A long title is understandable for Syosetu's format, but the better authors who want to take advantage of this tend to have a succinct title, followed by a descriptive subtitle to catch our interest. Heck, some more famous web novels do that. Mushoku Tensei does that.

Of course, I'd love to see the super long titles used in an interesting way, but so far I've been disappointed.

aintg likes this.
  3. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this trend because I can instantly know that reading it is just going to be a waste of time and that I will hardly get any enjoyment out of it.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  4. may.day

may.day Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I strongly dislike these long titles too... At least I know right off the bat that it's a JP novel so I just skip it.

5. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    can't say I hate them as much as the others here

well as for filtering, the few popular ones usually get a shorter version of the title to make it more catchy

y'all gotta admit tho, there are several top tier series that has long titles like..
    Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo -> KonoSuba
    Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru -> Oregairu or Hamachi
    Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka -> DanMachi
    Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu -> Re:Zero

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't really see it as much of a problem, it just means they kind of skip the title and just go straight for a plot description, which honestly "can" be way more useful than a regular plain title, if it is bad then no reason to look further, and if it is good then it might catch your attention better than a title that doesn't really say anything.
    If anything I kind of wish more actually good stories followed this trend to an extent, I skip these novels more because I'm used to them being bad rather than the trend itself being bad.
    All that said, there is definitely a lot of bad examples of it, some titles extend to a point that they are hard to read, especially if they basically repeat the same thing multiple times.
    You would still have to actually make it nice to read for it to work well, and I'm not sure how many of the bad examples we are used to are due to translation issues.
    Some of the bad ones we joke about could quite possibly work a lot better in japanese.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  7. Josh1

Josh1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to make my presence known

Lmao

I'll be on my way now

8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The title translations tend to be super literal, and while they will read a bit better in Japanese, they're going to be terrible there as well.

Nimroth likes this.
  9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really doubt that, just not knowing japanese myself I just can't judge it myself and have to take your word for it. lol
    But yeah for these kinds of titles they will tend to reflect the quality of the actual story more, for better or worse.

10. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't feel these quite fit in to the "way too long" end of things. They're certainly long titles, but titles of this length aren't unheard of, in Japanese, English, and probably other languages too. They're still short enough that they build curiosity without throwing the whole plot in your face. The contractions here are similar to how we abbreviate longer titles in English.

11. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Those examples are actually fine, and DanMachi is not too bad of an offender.

The problem arises in titles such as:
    I (30), A Black Company Employee Who Died Regretting My Shady Life, Is Starting Over From High School! With the Power of a Company Employee, I Get My Revenge of Youth and Tell the Girl Who Is Too Much of an Angel That I Love Her This Time! // 陰キャな人生を後悔しながら死んだブラック企業勤務の俺(30)が高校時代からやり直し!社畜力で青春リベンジして天使すぎるあの娘に今度こそ好きだと告げる!
    Jack of All Trades and Master of None, expelled in a class trial, who went to live by himself since he's dexterous, became able to use every advanced skill and magic thanks to his dexterity and became peerless, despite having decided to live alone, his surroundings don't leave him alone. // 学級裁判で追放された器用貧乏 器用だったので1人で生きていく 器用だったので上級職のスキルと魔法が全て使えるようになり、無敵の存在に 1人で生きていくと決めたのに、まわりがほっといてくれません
    Expelled From a Black Magic Item Craftsman Guild, I Was Picked up as a Royal Magician ~but It Was Too Late When I Realized That I Was Actually the Highest-Level Magician in the Kingdom. Starting a Happy Life Anew With Those Who Acknowledged Me in the Royal Court // ブラック魔道具師ギルドを追放された私、王宮魔術師として拾われる ~実は王国最高レベルの魔法使いだったと気づいてももう遅い。ホワイトな宮廷で評価してくれる人たちと幸せな新生活を始めます~
    Honestly, it just looks like a mess if your title is a run-on sentence that should have been three.

brigs11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.