Question How do you feel about pirate sites?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NoNamejustGhost, May 13, 2021.

?

How do you feel about pirate sites?

1. They should be banned!

8.1%
  2. They are good I get all my novels at one place

23.0%
  3. Only if webnovel novels are pirate then it's okay

29.7%
  4. What's a pirate site?

2.7%
  5. I don't know...

4.1%
  6. I own one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. If they don't pirate original Novels then it's good.

9.5%
  8. I HATE THEM!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No opinion.

23.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoNamejustGhost

NoNamejustGhost You don't know me

Reading List:
    Link
    Just asking for people opinion to get better view.

imK and Deleted member 343051 like this.
  2. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're strictly talking about novel pirate sites, they're malware ridden pestilences that earn money off the hard work of authors, discourage translators, and in general bring far more harm than good for the community.

Dr_H_16, Setra, riririn and 2 others like this.
  3. Stiw99

Stiw99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that generaly i'm against any pirate sites but with what webnovel did it's hard to say no to them. I gladly spend money by donating to author/translator or by patreon but i won't overpay 20x for shitty quality

animefan217 likes this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    GET RID OF THEM ALL!! If someone wants to pirate stuff, they should have to sift through google workspaces and darkwebs. Not the surface web.

5. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically speaking, actual pirate sites are already banned since they aren't really legal.
    Also remember that aggregators != pirates.

That being said, I like both. Some are shitty ofc, but others are pretty great. I also dislike IP as it is so I don't feel and never have felt bad for using and consuming pirated media.

6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That they have vast accumulations of treasures... all stolen tho. :blobpeek:

mir, asriu, aintg and 2 others like this.
  7. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    They're my morally immoral way to get access to content I otherwise would not be able to get access to~ :blobcheeky:

Yokoha likes this.
  8. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...If they help me get a free college textbook that normally cost $200 dollars that I will only use for a few months in my entire life
    ..... I think they are acceptable.
    Though if the works are free, like for example, most translations, I would think pirate sites are bad since the translators/publishers are already doing it for free, at the very least, give them some respect and ad-revenue to support their translations.

babybb, AliceShiki, aintg and 6 others like this.
  9. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    You do know that the surface web is more fucked up than other [name] webs by multiple magnitutes, do you? And that will likely never change because regular people are not tech literate enough to use anything else.

Aean likes this.
  10. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear there's nothing worse than taking a course and seeing your professor's name as the author of the book, knowing you have to shell out that much more money when he/she is supposed to be teaching you the material since you've already paid for the course. Always pissed me off to no end.

11. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most fan translations are "pirated content".
    Look, I love fan translations and I know we wouldn't be able to read like 90% of the novels in NU without them, but strictly speaking they are pirating the content of Asian countries.
    I don't like that some sites steal translations, that's a given.
    But I also find it a bit hypocritical that people get angry at the "pirate" sites
    No one haves the moral high ground, Translators should get paid for their work, but each reader of fan translations is also a Reader that didn't buy the original work.
    I understand that Licensing and all that jazz is annoying, I understand that translators are needed and I've even donated to a few when I could...
    But I don't think people should get angry at "pirate" sites when they have also helped to maintain in archive novels where the original was obliterated because of "X,Y,Z" reasons...
    Basically, support the translators that you love, a free market should be allowed to have all kinds of sites, even pirate (The Pirate Party makes very good arguments about this, search them out).

BTW, your Poll is very biased, where is the "They should exist, but I don't use them" option???

12. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggregators = Bad
    Pirates = Neutral
    Webnovel = Evil

At least in my book.

I have so many text books of different things that popped up on random sites that I found interesting, I wouldn't even know how to find them otherwise.
    Like a certain pack that has all sorts of topics in expert level books that I downloaded just for the "in case I get transported to another world and can have my laptop with me"

aintg likes this.
  13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they're useful. Aside from offering free and convenient access to material that otherwise isn't, they also act as unregulated backups. They provide multiple alternative sources when the original is lost or damaged, and are functionally immune to censorship or other forms of oversight. For pragmatic and political reasons, then, it's good that they exist.

They are, of course, illegal and immoral for many reasons. In an ideal world, they would never be necessary in any way. This isn't an ideal world. As a step down from ideal, we can simply hope people only use them in (relatively) good faith - when they have no other choice, or simply can't afford the alternative.

Please remember to support the original creators of content being pirated, whenever possible.

As a reminder, refrain from naming any specific aggregator on the forums, or linking to them. I may believe aggregators have a place in the world, but they shouldn't be anyone's first choice, and we don't want to advertise them here. If you see a link to an aggregator on the forums, report it and we'll remove the link as soon as possible.

14. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    it's bad, but I still use them.
    I'm just a poor dude.
    I just hope that I can win the lottery one day, then I will support all the translators on this forum.

aintg and Deleted member 343051 like this.
  15. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm living on pirate sites..hehe
    But don't get me wrong I pledge sometimes on patreon of other authors.
    Also in novel if the translator is from Qi I always search in the other sides.
    All in all life would be hard for me if no pirate sites.. but it's still okay for me if they got removed.
    That's life.

imK and Astaroth like this.
  16. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    As we have learned great morals from the chinese web novels, stealing from those who steal is fine.
    So just put up ad blockers when using aggregator sites and you have the moral high ground. :)

17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    normal people should learn to do stuff the legal way. piracy is illegal, so you as an end-consumer must also be willing to take the risk. When it comes to malware on sites, the unfortunate thing is that illiterate people get caught. they don't know what is the game. such people shouldn't even be brought into the game...

Milanin and imK like this.
  18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Those 'free' novels are usually originally paid novels that the translator only even was able to translate because of other pirate/aggregator sites 'stealing' the raws of the novel's original language.

For translators to take those pirated/stolen/whatever RAWs, instead of paying to be able to read original (also tbh even translators that do pay still use pirated raws because the original sites usually have annoying mechanics to prevent theft, so it's still a lot more convenient to use an aggregator site regardless), only to turn around and complain about aggregator sites when the same happen to them afterwards are hypocrites.

There's a lot more that can be said, and there's some grey areas.

But anyway, for me, the only translators that can have some sort of moral high ground and not be hypocrites are ones that either just translate because they're fans of the work (and they don't try to make money with ads/donations/etc.) and ones who have the license to translate, or at least the author's approval.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    asriu, Westeller, aintg and 2 others like this.
  19. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just admit you love the booty.:blobpeek:

20. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggregators are in my opinion for reading paywalled and gone content (whether deletion or DMCA).

Not that I haven't entertained the thought of reading some novels on aggregators for the sole reason that the actual site is inviting a brain aneurism due to layout, although I just tend to drop them then.

HentMas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.