choosing a platform to post my novel

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by lilwriterb, May 13, 2021.

1. lilwriterb

lilwriterb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am currently working on a historical fantasy novel. I want to start posting it online after I get it proofread, but I'm finding it hard to choose a platform. I have used both Wattpad and WordPress in the past. Which one would be better? I just want to make it easily accessible.
    Please let me know your opinions. ♡(ᐢ ᴥ ᐢし)

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Use ScribbleHub, it is NU's sister site. You also would get featured here on NU when you post new chapters.

3. lilwriterb

lilwriterb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, i did not know this existed. thank you for letting me know! ₍ ᐢ. ̫ .⑅ᐢ ₎

hothotpot likes this.
  4. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about Wattpad as I have a rather bad impression of it. Wordpress doesn't really have an easy way for people to access novels, since (as far as I know) there isn't a way for people to just browse through a list of wordpress content with tags and stuff.
    Honestly I mostly use Royal Road. You could just post on multiple platforms, too.

5. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, Scribble Hub and/or Royal Road. Both free and pretty easy to use.

6. lilwriterb

lilwriterb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you everyone! I have decided to go with scribblehub for now. ₍⑅ᐢ‸ ̞ ‸ᐢ₎

7. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? NOT sure about that feature part. Isn't it just three novels somewhere at the bottom of NU's page. So it's not like they feature all new chapter releases.

Or am I missing something?

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The featuring is based on new chapter releases. But of course as more people release, you would be knocked off. Though there might be other mechanics at play since its been a while.

But any publicity is better than no publicity. (which effectively is wattpad or starting your own wordpress)

9. gomezcarsonk

gomezcarsonk Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ScribbleHub is pretty good for me

10. ListlessCat

ListlessCat ࿈༼The Anarchic Witch༽࿈ ⦑⤉notsoGoody Good Shoes⤈⦒

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to say wattpad but then I remember there are annoyimg ads that doesnt even support the author but supports the app .
    So I suggest scribblehub? It may work like novel update which you need a site to post your novel... idunno I never yet see the site yet

hothotpot likes this.
  11. Li_lin

Li_lin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm using WN, but I know many people - especially here - don't like WN (and I can't blame them for that :LOL:). A few told me about Scribblehub, so you could give it a try! Or maybe use more than just one platform?
    Wattpad, Royal Road, WN, Scribblehub, etc

12. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty late and most already answered your questions but...

Wordpress - better for blogging. ik someone who uses to post snippets of stories/poems. not much readers there.

Wattpad - many stories there. some contests. may get noticed by actual publisher or participate in one of wattpad's paid programs. hard get noticed since, many stories - read and comment on many stories to get others to notice you and look at your stories. had security breach last summer. now bought over by naver so idk. romance, werewolf alpha, mafia, badboy, kidnap, ceo, ex-hub, etc. are common story tropes there. Not much markdown like other writing platforms. wary of going back since breach. has app and site to read and write on.

InkItt - not great deal with helping their authors to publish so beware. it is like the grown up version of Wattpad in some ways - just more into romance and stuff so common tropes on wattpad you might see that there - just from a brief search looking things up there. very limited to no markdown at all. has one separate app for reading and a separate app for writing. don't like it too well.

ScribbleHub - sister site. has a ScribbleHub Forum site where authors on a procrastination mission go to - it is like a bar, sometimes arguments will happen and dissipate and back to all good again. common stories tropes there are isekai, litrpg, smut, gamelit. more eastern fantasy stories are seen there since its sister site to NovelUpdates. great markdown. uploading images to chapters must be through a web link; people recommend post images in discord server and link image there to be used in your stories. has a site.

RoyalRoad - hear many on ScribbleHub Forum complain about how its not so LGBTQ+ friendly and bit restrictive in what can post (ScribbleHub allows more smut mature stuff) and people expect you to be really good at writing. heard its common tropes or gamelit and litrpg isekai type of stories. joined but have done much since; needs to approve ur stories esp if you have it existing somewhere already, to prevent people who will potentially plagarize and upload another's work and claim it as their own. has a site.

Fictonpress.com - user interface design look seems similar to Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net. It is a sister site to Fanfiction.net. Unlike fanfiction.net and Archive of Our Own where people go to get their fanfiction fix, Fictionpress is made for users to write original stories on there. Sister site to Fanfiction.net. Don't know it too much, didn't like its site look.

hothotpot and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  13. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Just write then post it everywhere.