Feature Request New tag !

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by camilfabre, Jun 4, 2020.

?

Do you think the purpose of the tag was clear and that the misunderstanding wasn't my fault?

1. YES

2. NO

3. SHOW ME THE ANSWER

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camilfabre

camilfabre Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone,
    Let it be quick, the tag that i want to be implemented is "new life" that would means that the protagonist is not reincarnated, not going through time reversal, not coming from another world or the three combined (100% sure there is smting like that somewhere).
    I think it's a good idea because we are overflooded by that type of novel (not all are bad ofc). This tag will promote what I find more original stories and I hope reward authors that don't surf on the trend.
    Please give me your opinion about it.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    example(s) of novel?

3. Needyneedle

Needyneedle Crimson's Melissa and the Blackjack of Chaos.

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, this hit me. Most of my completed novels were either transmigration or rebirth stories. Thankfully, Slag Gong Wants To Kill Me is neither of those two tropes. lol

c.decora likes this.
  4. camilfabre

Reading List:
    Link
    my favorites are (on web novel):
    World of Cultivation
    second life ranker
    monarch of evernight
    ISSTH (not sure about this one)
    there are many more that i like but it's fan fiction

yes "overflooded" wasn't wrongly used.:(

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2021
    Needyneedle likes this.
  5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you essentially want a method to identify cultivation novels(?) which don't have the troupe of reincarnation/second chance/transported to another world.

In the series finder tool, you can exclude these tags to find such novels, actually. What you are suggesting is pretty much the "normal", so it makes no sense to add a tag for it. Sure, it seems to be low in popularity, but such novels are the normal cultivation novels. Further tags are used to describe abnormal cultivation novels with the setting troupes.

CadmarLegend, otaku31, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  6. camilfabre

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry for delay i returned to see the thread cause i still find it'll be nice to have the tag implemented but it seems i missed the notification from your reply.

firstly cultivation novel are just a style and do not represent all the novel present on this webstite secondlly as I said my purpose is to promote the novel that you describe as "normal" while they are a minority and lastly if you had tried it yourself you wouldn't have written to use the tag exclusion device cause you would have known it isn't working correctly.

PS: please stop advice people to use the search function if someone takes times to write a post on the forum that means we aldready searched what we are looking for on differents websites with differents methods.

7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, you sweet summer child.

No, people do not regularly explore all of their options before posting on the forums. In fact, most people need to have their options explained to them, because they didn't understand something, overlooked something, or simply haven't thought of something. One of the best things you can do to help people is show them how things work, and what options they have.

In this case, Mango's suggestion of excluding unwanted tags was a clever solution to the issue you were facing. A solution which should have worked immediately, requiring no change to the site and no lengthy delay while a change was made. Solving your problem on the spot and helping you find more of the novels you wanted to read.

It's a shame it didn't work out, but the advice was fantastic.

8. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Also the series finder works perfectly fine. The only case that I can think of for it not working for you is that it you hadn't swapped the "or" to "and" while selecting tags
    Screenshot_2021-05-09-18-11-31-52.jpg
    Mind the quality. I'm away from my pc

9. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    your examples...basically the mc's were living normal lives before something happened that significantly altered the course of their "normal" life...I'm sorry to say but that is what some people would call..."plot". also like mango said, the absence of said tags is enough...no need to make tags for something that can be considered the norm

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  10. camilfabre

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you try it before saying it works perfectly fine??? Here what i find when i serach for novels without : transmigration, time travel AND reincarnation
    I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship, so I Became a Space Mercenary
    I Was Caught up in a Hero Summoning, but That World Is at Peace
    Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
    i didn't even try to cheat it's the first three when you order by rank.
    So i will say it again. When you want to affirm something pls try it first it will prevent all sides from losing time. Even if it was working correctly my purpose is to make those novels more visible. If we have to exclude X tags to find it it's not serving my purpose (and it's not working).
    I'm not ever answering to people who say : "have you tried to use the search feature" with an anoying voice. I see you like the people who tell you to turn off and turn on or to blow wind over it.

I really have the impression you all are not reading what i'm writing... Check the ranking in NU you will see by yourself thaht the norm today is isekai, time travel, reincarnation, etc... Don't get me wrong I don't mind it I just want a way to find novels who aren't revolving around those tags.

It's written below my name that i'm using NU for 4 years now if I dindn't know how to use the search features I would have been quite the dumbass xD. If MangoGuy was fantastic he would have tried himself the search function to see if it was working before posting this. Before giving an advice if I can I personnaly test it myself to not make a fool out of myself.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get your point? I just checked the tags of the first novel you linked, and it has none of those 3 tags.

otaku31, c.decora and Blitz like this.
  12. Aki Aki

Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki ⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems to be an issue with the novels not having all the appropriate tags attached to them, not an issue with the search function.

Edit: Not even that, each of the novels seems to have some sort of transmigrated/reincarnated tag to it.

runsing likes this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    That novel doesn't have any of the 3 tags you mentioned so yes, it does work perfectly fine.
    However you didn't exclude any other similar tags such as transported into another world and such. For you, here's list of all related tags. That should completely remove any novels that doesn't fit your criteria for the most part
    [​IMG]

14. camilfabre

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello alice i'm sorry but i forgot to say i excluded the tag transported to another world but if you look carefully you can see that the third one is a reincarnation novel

It is indeed an issue with the search function I invite you to use like i did to see it for yourself (like I asked people to do many time) so here is a quick tutorial:

STEP 1:
    go to search function

STEP 2:
    exclude the tags : "reincarnation", "transported to another world", "transmigration" AND "time travel"

STEP 3:
    order the novel by "rank" and "ascending"

STEP 4:
    press the search button

STEP 5:
    look at the result. Here is what you find
    I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship, so I Became a Space Mercenary (transported to another world)
    Isekai Nonbiri Nouka (transported to another world + reincarnation)
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? (same)
    I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated (WN) (same, it's even in the title)
    and i can go on like forever

Thanks to the staff member who said :
    "No, people do not regularly explore all of their options before posting on the forums. In fact, most people need to have their options explained to them, because they didn't understand something, overlooked something, or simply haven't thought of something. One of the best things you can do to help people is show them how things work, and what options they have."
    It gave me the idea of this quick tutorial.

Have fun reading and stay safe.

FOR YOU i made a quick tuto so go see for yourself the search function that works perfectly fine :) (I indeed forgot to mention that the tag transported to another world was also excluded, my bad for that. I tried to put the screen capture on my post but i didn't find how to)

15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

IMG_20210516_085700.jpg

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not excluding all the relevant tags I'm afraid. Let me go over the 4 novels you listed to explain:

I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship, so I Became a Space Mercenary -> This novel does not have the Transported to Another World tag that you excluded, hence why it was found. The tag you need to exclude is Transported Into A Game World.
    Isekai Nonbiri Nouka -> This novel does not have Transported to Another World, nor Reincarnation. The tag you need to exclude in order to remove this novel from your search, is Reincarnated into Another World.
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? -> This novel does not have Transported to Another World, nor Reincarnation. The tags you need to exclude in order to remove this novel from your search, are any of the following: Reincarnated As A Monster; Reincarnated In Another World; Returning From Another World.
    I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated (WN) -> This novel does not have Transported to Another World, nor Reincarnation. The tag you need to exclude in order to remove this novel from your search, is Reincarnated As An Object.

... Which is what we were trying to explain to you. The Series Finder does function properly, but it only excludes novels with the tags that you made it exclude... Just because the last 3 novels involve reincarnation, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have the Reincarnation Tag (This tag is only used when the story involves reincarnation, but none of the other relevant Reincarnation tags apply. This is so in order to avoid having redundant tags in the same story), so excluding Reincarnation won't be enough to remove them from your search, you ought to remove every single tag related to Reincarnation from it instead.

17. camilfabre

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly what i'm saying there is like X tags to add and it's not even perfect i think you are not reading or understanding what i'm writing (maybe it's my fault so tell me if you don't understand). Since my first post I said : "This tag will promote what I find more original stories and I hope reward authors that don't surf on the trend.". What i want is not to find the novels it's to make a new genre that stand at the oposite side of the new genre that are more of 50% of the novels now. This will help authors that doesn't surf on the "isekai trend" and push new authors to write something more original. It's my first motive with this tag and i repeated it many time.

What i wanted to show with the search function it's that it's imperfect because someone said it was perfect. How come when you exclude reincarnation you have to exclude reincarnated as an object as a monster as a god as a shoe as a condom.... It's just fucking tedious and if you have to find the variant of transmigration, transported to another world, ... as well how can you consider that the search function is well built and perfect.

What I find the most aggravating it's that for ten comments we are debating over the search function while it's not even the topic of the post. I don't want your opinion of how many tags you have to exclude to find "new life" novels. I want to know if it's worthwhile for you to have this tags implemented if like me you want more original novels that aren't of the "isekai trend" or if unlike me you want things to go on like this. Looking at the top it's seems like the later but on webnovel there are new author who promote their novel with a "notransmigration", "noreincarnation" tags. I also wanted input on how to improve my idea while all I had was people telling me to use the search function.

I hope I made things clear please tell me if you want me to explain it another time i'm not great at drawing but for you i will try my best.

you can put OR or AND it doesn't change anything ^^

18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you somehow missed the fact that NU aka NovelUpdates with this tagged on it:
    Screenshot_2021-05-16-10-14-12-23.jpg

Lists Translations by translators instead of authors. If you want to promote authors and story creations then you're in the wrong place. Submit your petitions to publisher sites or platforms where authors gather: jjwxc, naver, syosetu to name a few.
    "Perfectly fine" why do I have to even explain how English works. They didn't say it's perfect, they said it's fine. It's perfectly fine for what you need.

They're answering you. It already exist. They're showing you how to get your "new life" whatever thing that's just something not (points to the tags in red bold) and you failed to see it. So here we are trying to open your eyes and tell you it already exist and having to repeat the same thing because you fail to comprehend them.

It changes EVERYTHING and you're refusing to see it.

No. There, you have one staff vote. I'm done here.

Dvenger, CadmarLegend and AliceShiki like this.
  19. camilfabre

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel update is a reference if a novel is popular there then it's a popular novel outside of the website as well thus the authors gain from it.

If for you working perfectly fine means i have to exclude 13 tags instead of 4 and when i exclude with AND or OR I have the same result (but we will come to that later) then ok my bad the search function works perfectly fine (not my aim to discuss about this but it seems you guys want absolutely to talk about the search function in each thread for wathever reason)

I'm perfectly understanding that by excluding all 13 tags that you showed in your picture we can see novels with the tag "new life" but what i'm explaining since the start is that I don't care about finding those novel I know I can. I want to "create" a "new" genre to advertise it. It's what i'm writing since the start but excuse me you don't seem to understand what i'm writting. Maybe you are not reading maybe you are reading hal or a quarter but it doesn't change what I am saying I will spell it once more for you cause you are quite slow.
    A NEW TAG "NEW LIFE" WITH THE PURPOSE TO HIGHLIGHT WORKS THAT "I" JUDGE MORE ORIGINAL IN ORDER TO REWARD THE AUTHOR THAT RISK IT AND TO PUSH NEW AUTHOR TO RISK IT /!\/!\/!\/!\/!\/!\ IT'S MAIN PURPOSE IS NOT FOR THE WORKS TO BE FIND WITH THE SEARCH FUNCTION. (you can't miss it i think now)

It changes nothing and you refuse to see it but i will make you acknowledge it :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDIT : I don't know how to make my image show i'm don't use the forum very often :/, but you can try it yourself by pairing two tags you want to exclude and try with AND or OR. Moreover AND should be linking the two while OR should not but it seems you are saying the opposite maybe it's a mistake of my part there (anyway it changes nothing)

I don't care and good ridance i don't think you are very utile as a staff member while all you are doing is playing with word without answering or understanding my questions while being disrespectful and condescending. I think NU deserves better staff member than you. I'm done here too i'm too lazy to untertain people who only know to speak about the search function.

I understand that it was my mistake from the start when someone started to speak about the search function i should have re-explained what i wanted the tag for. I think everyone after that were just reading the last post without taking in acount the first one. I apologize for the misunderstanding (cause it's part my fault). And would like this topic closed. I still think my idea was good but I don't have the time even in week-end to explain again and again what i want while it's clearly (at least for me) written in the first post. I'm deeply disapointed with the staff member of NU. I apologize to the people who thought I was belittling them, english is not my first language I still have a lot to learn and i know that when i write it seems a bit too straight (i don't know how to describe it).

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I think this has gotten a bit out of hand, so I'm locking the thread to further replies.

The entire purpose of tags, I think, is to help people find novels, and give them some idea of the content a novel has. I'm not totally against the idea of a tag like this. I do think there's a prevalence of novels that contain some form of reincarnation, transmigration, time travel and so on... and novels without may be surprisingly difficult to find. ... but at the end of the day, I don't think the solution is to create a tag that would, by default, apply to every single novel listed on the site without a specific type of content.

Searching via tag exclusion was suggested, and I do think that's a far more appropriate method for finding these novels. The number of tags that need to be excluded in this case seems a bit ridiculous, but Novel Updates is experimenting with umbrella tags, and I think those cover that issue well enough already. If and when we get those working, this should be less of an issue.

As far as promoting novels without a particular trope goes, I don't think this would be a good method, either. It's simply not targeted enough to promote any particular type or genre of novel, much less specific novel or author. It would broadly apply to thousands of novels of all different types, and fail to meaningfully promote or distinguish them in any way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.