Discussion CN censorship

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Epythymy, May 17, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epythymy

Epythymy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems that CN's censorship reached some new amazing lows or something?

I'm feeling really flabbergasted. It's somewhat understandable if they censure sex scenes and some gore, but even simple groping is censored now too?

I was reading 'I am a Gao Fushuai Villain' now and the scene when the girl tried to tease MC and he grouped her chest a little as a form of retaliation got censured.

I wouldn't really be so bothered by it if the final part of this chapter and about 1/2 of the next one didn't contain multiple direct and indirect references to this event. And I'm pretty sure there will be more of them in the future interactions with this heroine too.

Also, I don't know why, but usually when I'm encountering censored content, most of the authors dealt with it in similar ways - simply deleting a couple of sentences and that's about it. They don't even bother to edit previous and next paragraphs. And then you feel like some part of the story is missing when reading it.

What the heck is going on in China? It's beyond silly already. Is it an indirect attempt to control population?

It's not like Chinese is an overly cultured and innocent nation, alright? Taking into account their territory and a billion+ people living in it, I wouldn't be surprised even if you tell me that they're doing nothing but reproducing 24/7. How can they not know about sex? Do they even need to be 'corrupted by invasive western culture' and 'internets' in this aspect? What kind of bullshit logic is this?

I don't really remember in which novel I've seen this phrase - 'The greatest unfilial action/sin - is to leave no descendants behind.' It's pretty obvious to me that most of Chinese people are very filial, pious and devoted in this this aspect.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Isabelle likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TBH, I'm more concerned about "he groped her chest a little as a form of retaliation" part you mention. :blobwoah:

3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    probably since children read from such sites, and to prevent any complaints from cropping up, these companies censor indecent stuff not suited for young

4. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Chinese government has the opinion that if they don’t admit it it never happened just look at the Tiananmen Square massacre or the invasion of Tibet which for those who are not familiar with the invasion was according to China a”peaceful liberation “ when in fact as many of a fifth of the population was killed or fled

Drake98 and LollipoPReapeR like this.
  5. Epythymy

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't copy text using my phone, it seems translator's site has some form of protection for text.

I also don't know what unspeakable things MC did to the girl (as they were omitted), but it lasted no more than 3 secs and related to chest according to tl's note. You can check c113 if you're really interested. It's exactly at the end of it.

Bad Storm and otaku31 like this.
  6. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like he groped her without her consent? Anyway, America likes to censor nudity and sex in their media too(violence and murder is totally fine though), so it's not just a "China problem".

7. fluffy gangster

fluffy gangster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I'm also quite frustrated with these censorship going on! Like you know we international fans are totally fine with these. They can implement their system as location based and for those who use vpn in china, do you think you can stop them?

Epythymy likes this.
  8. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Top censored words in china:
    Winnie-the-Pooh
    Chinese covid
    Bat soup
    Xu xiaodong
    Jack ma was not kidnapped
    Taiwan is not a province

CrypticDota and LollipoPReapeR like this.
  9. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Its to destroy the rise of sexual promiscuity. China doesn't like the rise of feminism in the region so they are taking in the Muslim approach of repressing sex. Feminism is connected to population decrease which is why you are seeing more of this shit happening after the census. What I don't get is the banning of gore since they are a atheist government.

CrypticDota, Vritra I and Epythymy like this.
  10. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the authors of CN novels are writing for an international audience though? Why would you ask them to consider international audiences in the first place? :blobwoah:

Dr_H_16, brigs11, AliceShiki and 5 others like this.
  11. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    it’s not just censoring sexuality though, the censorship extends beyond “sexual acts” and into things like supernatural/horror stories where if it’s too far into the supernatural and can’t be explained by science then it gets censored too. Historical dramas can get censored due to “encouraging opulence”, Censorship is scary :blobneutral: I have a family member who literally had his passport taken away while he was in China. I have no idea where he is now or what he’s doing.

12. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever heard Chinese drama called "Saga of Wu Zhentian" aka "The Saga of Wu's Breasts" ? :blobsmirk:

ongoingwhy likes this.
  13. CodeTime

CodeTime [Void Emperor of Time]

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing to note that it may not necessarily be the government censoring it, but could be the people and even the translators. I believe reverend insanity was banned for a time because the people reported it a bunch, not the government. Another example was an implied (not even described) bdsm scene in "I Have a Mansion in the Post-apocalyptic World" which was removed by the translator, not the author (you could still see it in the mtl). It could also be the publisher having an issue with the work for whatever reason. Understanding CN censorship in general is very complicated as the we have very different cultures, and something that the people in the US might 'cancel' may be very popular in China for the very reason it is canceled, and the other way around.

Vritra I, Dr_H_16, brigs11 and 4 others like this.
  14. Epythymy

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of things can be censored for myriads of reasons, but that's not important and not the main topic of my post.

What I'm saying is that this situation is already over-the-top. Before they banned sex scenes, now they are banning grouping, what's next? Kissing scenes and holding hands?

Will there be any romance in novels if such things continue to happen?

Maybe a bit later only long-distance relationships will be allowed?

Btw I was reading 'I'm really a superstar' a month ago, and to my surprise there was really a banned kissing scene.

At this rate CN protagonist can also transform into typical JP beta MCs who refuse to touch their harem.

15. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Me reader who doesn't mind whether sex scenes are implored or implied or even nonexistent

What ? There's a censor ?

Welp unless it is written especially as an erotica novels in erotica sites or sections i really see no problems with it.

16. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Its about pre emptive banning to please party officials. In the sexual context it was about the fight against sexual promiscuity so anything that can be viewed as sexual will be banned and there are many Karen's and trolls which would go after innocuous shit. In the gore scene its about going against religion since theistic people love and fear God more then the government. Opulence was in the anti corruption campaign and the empty plates movement due to food insecurity. All of this and more make it a landmine especially since Jack ma turn to out of favor figure in the recent years. In older novels he is a trustworthy ally and now he is a backstabbing villian.

17. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Please stop mispelling it as "grouping". It's "groping"
    2. Definition of "groping":
    Basically, unwanted physical sexual harassment. :blob_coughblood:
    Do you think groping's romantic and necessary? Seriously? :blobpopcorn_two:

ongoingwhy likes this.
  18. Epythymy

Reading List:
    Link
    Relationships needs to progress, so yes, it's necessary. And I definitely don't enjoy reading about MCs who are blushing when they've accidentally touched someone's hand during the whole story.

19. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    Relationships need to progress through sexual harassment in your world? :blobawkward:

And pfft, you almost make it sound like every MC in the CN novel world is a cute blushing school boy who's never seen a girl before. I don't think the problem here is the censorship; clearly, you're only reading from a very limited pool of novels :blob_coughblood:

ongoingwhy and reagents 11 like this.
  20. CodeTime

CodeTime [Void Emperor of Time]

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason I brought up the bunch of different reasons is to say that we don't know who censored it. If we don't know who, it is harder to find the intent behind it. There are a bunch of novels that include the exact scenes and quite above your example. So the question becomes, why are those novels not targeted while others are? Thus, I feel that finding out who censored it is critical to understanding why, and what we can expect in the future.
    Edit: also, it is quite clear the 'officers' change as in the early part of I am a superstar, there was a lot more described than just kissing, so it does become quite weird

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.