Discussion How many overweight people do you know?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ExcitableFoci, May 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just thought about how I don't know anyone who is overweight anymore and got curious about other people's experiences.

Back in HS, there was like one fat student per class. Four or five per grade. Or about 25 in the entire school. I was one of them. And oh boy, what a fat little dumpling I was. But sooner or later, pretty much everyone shed their fat by 12th grade or during the first year of university.

imK likes this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there is a distinction between someone who is overweight, and someone who is fat. Sure, they might seem to be the same. I am technically overweight, going by my BMI. However, I am not considered to be a fat person.

Fulminata, imK, Arkantos and 4 others like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots. I was on the verge of joining their ranks until I suddenly woke up, noticed and took preventive measures. The pandemic has had people storing up their body fat in preparation for periods of ordained hibernation aka the lockdown. :blobpeek:

AliceShiki, imK and ExcitableFoci like this.
  4. LastEnD

LastEnD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    None, I have no friends.

AliceShiki, imK, UnGrave and 4 others like this.
  5. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't estimate BMI but appearance while, only a few people around me is overweight. Not that I'm surrounded by lots of people.

Kinda worried about my mom actually, she's already old and overweight. She doesn't walk around or excercise much because according to her, parts of her body hurts. She even discretely eats food in the house when we aren't in the same room even though her doctor said she has to lose weight! I have to hide food! But ofc, I can't hide things that needs to be refrigerated... sometimes when I open the fridge, I'd wonder where the leftover food was, then I'll notice plates in the table and ask her... she hesitates a lot before admitting that she ate the food up... aight rant over :notlikeblob:

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    ongoingwhy, imK and ExcitableFoci like this.
  6. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean noticeably fat or flabby under the shirt?

imK and ExcitableFoci like this.
  7. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People with protruding bellies, I guess?

imK likes this.
  8. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    One, me lol.
    I just eat too much, especially sweet stuff, so if I go without regular exercise it’s really easy to pile on weight.
    I’ve recently stopped or limited eating processed foods

ExcitableFoci and imK like this.
  9. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Same

AliceShiki, ExcitableFoci and imK like this.
  11. Aedenvuur

Aedenvuur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Food restriction doesn't work. Try changing the food you buy in the house. IE buy Rabbit meat/chicken/fish instead of beef or pork. Use whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of cornstarch and flour for deep fried foods. Put a huge load of cabbage and celery in everything that you cook and switch all your carbs to the whole grain version. Buy honey instead of sugar and syrup. Toasting your bread and drinking lots of water also does wonders for weight loss. Also have one day every week where she can eat whatever she wants for one meal and she's going to be able to stick to the diet more easily.
    Also Potato wedges and msg are your friend as long as you go light on the salt and oils.

12. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I've trying to change stuff at home. But my eldest sis, who lives with her own family now, visits us almost weekly and she always bring like tons of food. There are days when her kids also stay at our home and during those times, you could hardly count the day where the food in the table is too much. Plus, the kids have lots of candies and chocolates. I'm still trying to figure out other ways, hope things work out after some time.

AliceShiki and ExcitableFoci like this.
  13. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    BMI wise even a perfectly healthy and fit idividual could be considered overweight or even fat. It is a scale that doesnt take body types, race, or fitness into consideration, only hight, weight, and sometimes age. It is an antiquated health calculation that should be either heavily modified or phased out of use.

As for those that are physically fat around me, as an American, many is the best description. I myself am pushing over 230lbs and more then a few of those i call frends and family are no better. Of the true heavyweights i can think of atleast 4 that are between 3 and 4 hundred lbs...

I also have a rather critical perspective, namely because ive lived in a foreign country with a completelydifferent culture. While in Sweden it was actually rather rare to find a heavy set individual. One thing i was surprised to noticed was they almost always looked unhealthy. After moving back to the states, i was once again surrounded by overweight and fat individuals. While there were some that did look unhealthy, many actually looked fine other then the extra poundage they carried around with them.

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m overweight, probably on the low end of fat? I don’t know. It’s hard for me to judge myself. I was a little disturbed when a few months ago I was trying on some of my mom’s clothes and they kinda sorta fit, and she was definitely fat. But her stomach was waaaay bigger than mine visually, and she was taller than me, so I’m not sure what’s going on. (Although her pants were also all elastic waistbands, so maybe that helped. And they’re too long and baggy.) But I could definitely stand to lose 40 pounds. Mr. Hamster is in much the same situation as me.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    According to Wii fit, everyone is overweight.

16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  17. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots. Friends, family, people I work with, acquaintances. I know a lot of people who are in the clinically overweight, obese and morbidly obese categories. It's part of the privilege of living in a fertile country with abundant resources and fuck all people until recently. That'll change as resources become scarcer and more expensive and we continue to take in overflow from all the other grossly overpopulated countries and islands who refuse to stop out-breeding everyone else.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  18. Aedenvuur

Aedenvuur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's your problem. Willpower is like a muscle. It gets more tired the more you use it. Not having the option to eat the food in your house that's bad for you is over 100 times easier than making the decision to not eat the food you like every 5 minutes. That's the crap that can lead you to depression. Have a talk with your sister about your mom's dietary needs and how you want to keep her alive since ykow... you love her.

19. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm... 3 people I think...... 2 of em are my relatives and one is neighbour...

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many to count, but I don't know anyone that is seriously obese... Though I definitely know a lot of people that are in an eternal diet, yet never lose any weight whatsoever.

Tbh, I'd probably be overweight myself if I didn't have a magical body that needs tons of food to remain healthy (which is like, a real bother if you wanna save money on food, for the record), so I just eat tons yet never gain any weight whatsoever.

... I tried dieting once because I was starting to take some meds that had the side effect of making it easier to gain weight... And well, I got pretty underweight and my psychologist was heavily advising me to go back to my parents' home to eat properly... Rather, she said she'd contact them herself and tell that to them if I didn't get better in a few weeks. At that point I gave up on dieting... >.>