Why don't they make people's finger combination as fingerprint key?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, May 20, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing that bugs me about fingerprint reader is that why don't they make it like a password? With 20 fingerprint (10 hands + 10 legs), you have 20 possible answer to unlock your device.

But with combination of n "character", you have 20^n, much harder to break like your password is harder to break the longer they are.

Baldingere likes this.
  2. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh right, that would be great!
    That way there's no risk of people cutting your hand to open your safe

Shiki likes this.
  3. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They won't get the content of my safe if I use my leg toeprint.

4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't tell if it's a joke or genuine confusion

Shiki and PotatoZero like this.
  5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    the question is, does that make any difference from using a password+fingerprint or password only? the numbers of tap you need in the end will be the same. and the reason why we use fingerprint is to make more convenient than remembering the password.

Shiki likes this.
  6. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But is that actually secure? If I remembered right, there are ways to fool them. Does using fingerprint + cellotape to open fingerprint lock still work?
    it's real? you have 1/20 chance of using someone's finger to open their fingerprint lock right now. If you use 2 fingerprint combination, that's 1/400. 3 -> 1/8000.

7. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    but i still dont understand, what happen if you hurt your fingerprint?(ex: burned) you can't open the password?

Shiki likes this.
  8. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chances are that if the person is desperate enough to fake your fingerprint to take something from you it must be very valuable

Shiki likes this.
  9. Fp401

Fp401 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    doesn't matter if its a combination or not. imagine using 10 images to input as your password. Also imagine the time it would take for you to input 10 fingerprints and figuring out the difference if this is a new fingerprint or the same one a second ago. In short it may take more time than more practical methods making it impractical for phones in general when you just want to open your phone to watch youtube.

Shiki likes this.
  10. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    10 fingers* and 10 toes*

I cannot imagine someone with that many hands and legs as well.

As for the idea, I would prefer you just stick to the 10 fingers instead.

Shiki likes this.
  11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    It's same as asking, why not use 20 key locks for your door when it'd be more secure
    I'm pretty sure that if someone were inventive enough to get your fingerprint, they surely would be able to get in your phone anyway, unless it's some super important thing, and for those cases people generally have many better and more expensive ways to secure stuff.

Shiki likes this.
  12. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that many actually. Phones are often used one handed, plus using many fingers will increase the chances of dropping the phone. Apple, which is a trendsetter, also moved quickly up the tech ladder to facial recognition, which has many potential clients.

Shiki likes this.
  13. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, first off all, multiple finger/toe prints are going to take more time to process, both the scan and verification in the software. Then you have to consider the hygiene of using your feet as well as the hassle of removing shoes and socks to use them.

A potential issue I can see is having to remember a chain of prints if you want to use them in sequence as you would a password, although you could argue you might not need that given how unique prints are, and it's just a matter of having the prints present and not necessarily in the correct order presented.

I'm also not particularly worried about losing your prints to injuries, at least sanding or acid will have your fingerprints regrow in about 10 days anyways. I've no idea about the time frame for burns since you are going to be replacing more than a few layers of skin most likely.
    All of this could be circumvented by say using all 10 prints, but only needing 3 or 4 to unlock a device, since you are unlikely to have all prints removed.

At an end note, I'm not particularly sure what the grand purpose of having a need for multiple prints would be, at least for individuals who aren't hiding anything of importance on a national scale. You will always be threading a line between convenience, accessibility, and security.

Shiki likes this.
  14. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why you never only have fingerprints as the security key

Liyus and Shiki like this.
  15. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure! Soon tablets would be "in" & people would carry them all i/o handphones
    Just think for a moment 'bout how big a human palm (or foot) is if you even want to use 5 fingers id
    Might as well goes for a palm print id instead
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shiki likes this.
  16. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    just letting my phone identify one finger is already hard but that's a nice idea.

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Shiki likes this.
  18. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    It would say, “fuck you” I have a deep scar on my left thumb and that part of my thumb doesn’t have its fingerprint part anymore. Whenever I have to get printed or scanned, the machine or person administering it get confused and I usually get questioned and then have to show them my thumb before they okay the scan. So yeah, if something is wrong with your finger, a normal scanner probably won’t take it.

19. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or wet . I have problem opening my iphone (handsmedown) when my fingers are wet