Discussion who do you choose?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shiki, May 26, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious about my cat. I am the one who usually feed my cat, and my sister is the one who feed him treats. I do this routinely, and she do this intermittently. Well... he choose my sister (in that he likes to play with my sister, ask my sister for food, which in turn order me to feed him) more than me.

I know it's silly to be jealous of cat's affection. So, my question is this.

Suppose that you are being taken care by two people. One of them gives you tasty food, often but irregularly. One of them gives you food that satisfy your hunger, even if it is rather bland, regularly. do you love the first person more or second person more? Why?

Lyndiz likes this.
  2. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    The tasty food is more memorable, so a person may choose to remember the first person a lot more.

Humans and other animals alike tend to take things for granted. And it is only after losing something they took for granted do they learn to see its value.

I still would not suggest starving your cat, however. Because that would fall under animal neglect/abuse.

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as I take the regular food for granted, the occasional treats will be more attractive to me. Sorry about your cat's affections. Consider getting a new more loyal one. /jk

Shiki likes this.
  4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The tasty food comes first if both of you have the same amount of interaction with the cat. But if the said cat grew up with you always closer to it, like petting it regularly, it would like you more.

5. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not likely that the cat has the knowledge and reasoning to recognise, "this is a person who is consistently taking care of my needs". The cat probably just sees, "provider of tasty things!" vs "provider of meh things", so of course the first is likely to be preferred, if it's based on the food factor alone.

TBH as a super-picky eater I might even feel the same way as the cat, even if the logical part of my brain tells me that it's ridiculous...

Shiki likes this.
  6. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my experience, our cat used to play with us (me and sister) a lot more than our mom. But whenever she felt hungry, she'd follow mom all around the house meowing meekly. While we were blatantly ignored. Food came first for her. Cats are generally free and selfish anyway.

Why don't you try giving him treats too and play more with him. Though probably nothing will change. Don't feel down because of that. Everyone has their favourite person.
    Just because kids prefer staying with their mom doesn't mean they don't love their dad. When your sister's out and your cat's hungry, he'll be like only you matter to him. Be happy with that. lol

Shiki likes this.
  7. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    How are you positive that the only difference between you and your sister is the food vs treats?
    It's worthwhile looking into other techniques that would make your cat feel more comfortable with you. Or take a day observing the interactions between your sister and the cat, see if you can identify anything that's different from how you treat it.

Shiki and anotherAniket like this.
  8. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... not really. My sister is the one who played with the cat more often, as I said? I'm often ignored when I call his name, while my sister get recognized when she does.

9. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not the second. They give you filling food to shut you up, so you don't ask them for food yourslef.

Shiki likes this.
  10. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    The first person...... Cuz if the second person do that stuff daily it'd feel normal after a while.... But if person give me good food irregularly that'd feel special...

Deleted member 348269 and Shiki like this.
  11. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, what I'm trying to refer to is the more subtle things... like how does your sister approach the cat, how does she handle the cat, where does she touch, etc.
    I'm more inclined to believe there is something else that she's doing or at least once did and had continued to do to build a better relationship compared to you and the cat. Feeding (treats or daily otherwise)... I think can only get you so far without something else to support it.
    Cats generally don't recognize food as much as dogs.

Shiki likes this.
  12. dilettante

dilettante Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How lucky to be taken care of by two people at once :blobcatblush::blobcatblush:

Shiki likes this.
  13. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's true... uh :blob_teary: my birds love my dad more

Shiki likes this.
  14. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Cats usually have a certain person they're closer with and they're usually someone who has a nearer wavelength with them so maybe yes get another cat that likes you more and has a close wavelength with u lmao.

Shiki likes this.