Discussion Music and Lyrics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shizukani, May 28, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you listen to the music or the lyrics?

1. Music.

13.3%
  2. Lyrics.

16.7%
  3. I equally listen to them both.

70.0%
  1. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    In the past, I heard from somewhere that, "Happy people tend to listen to the music, while sad people tend to listen to the lyrics."

Personally, I feel like I tend to listen to the music itself (like the beat, intrumentals, vocals etc). It was only around when I started college that I started listening and internalizing the lyrics to some of my favorite songs. For example, one time, I was listening to Tonight by FM static and I realized how sad the lyrics were. :blob_teary:

Nowadays, I have learned to appreciate the lyrics in songs, but they still wouldn't really negatively affect my enjoyment in listening to that particular song. It could, however, increase my fondness for the song a lot. :blobsip:

Another observation of mine is that maybe listening with earphones makes you hear and appreciate the lyrics more clearly? As opposed to just listening to it from a speaker? Or I don't know. :sweating_profusely:

Anyway, that's for me.

What about you?
    • Do you listen to the music or the lyrics? :bloboh:
    • Do you think listening to lyrics makes you sad? :blobneet:
    • If you listen more to the lyrics, what about songs in a different language? Do you have a hard time appreciating them? What about classical music/instrumentals? :blobcozy:
    • Do you think my theory of using earphones/speakers applies to you too? :blobsip:

Mr. Tired, Isaac20, Bad Storm and 4 others like this.
  2. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    i listen to both. i really like catchy melodies but i also appreciate good lyrics. listening to lyrics might make me sad but they're definitely noticeable when i'm going through some stuff. about songs in a different language, i don't think there's something that's taken away just because i can't directly understand the lyrics, but subtitles and translations are more than enough. i like classical music and instrumentals especially if orchestra. oh the feels. as for the last one, maybe... but when i want to just shut out the world and just use earphones i do pay more attention to the song playing...

Shizukani and UndyingSLIME10295 like this.
  3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I love songs with lyrics or singing the most!!! Doesn't mean I try to understand them though... I just like the singing voices!! :blobtaco:

2. My biggest fear is cringy/explicit lyrics, so... while I wouldn't really want to understand pop songs' lyrics, listening wouldn't make me sad... just annoyed. :notlikeblob:

3. Yes~ Love CN/JP songs! KR is good too but I listen to them less because I don't have too many common overlaps with KR songs (i.e. CN = I know CN, JP = anime, KR = ...???) :blobhug:

I don't like classical though. Turkish March might be the only one I like...? I wanna hear voices singing!!! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

4. Yes!!! It's like each ear hears a different part! Drums are more prominent in one ear, etc~!!! :cookie:

4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    You make a good point. First impressions are everything. On a date or a job interview. It’s that initial moment that sets the stage. That’s the “music” or the beat, but the best analogy I can come up with for the “lyrics”. Is never judge a book by its cover.
    Personally, for me. When I was a young adult I lived for the beat, but as an adult. I look for substance and depth.
    Usually a beat doesn’t bring sad emotions to me, but lyrics are the soul. Lyrics can make a person heartbroken or thoughtful. Thou to be honest music tend to create feelings in me, but for the life of me. I’m usually at a lost as to what it might be. But some music do feel powerful or whimsical. So it is both.
    As to earphones and speakers. I can see where your coming from. With earphones you can hear every single word, but with speakers it feels more interactive. I guess it’s like listening to a video and watching it live.
    Great question

5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear the lyrics as additional sounds to the overall musical piece. While with enough replay, I may remember some of the individual words and phrases, my brain still does not process them. The underlying reason to my condition is that lyrics, just like poems, mostly make absolutely no sense to me. And I have tried. Even had a humanities class with regular poetry readings. It was all just meaningless drivel. Thus I no longer pay attention to words in lyrics.

6. tbchillin

tbchillin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I try to listen to just the music, or I'll sing along without trying to comprehend the meaning behind the lyrics because I try to treat vocals as just another instrument. Sometimes being able to understand the lyrics lessens my enjoyment since its no longer part of the melody and instead has meaning, something I don't wanna search for when I'm just trying to enjoy some music. Probably why I like instrumentals so much.

That said I do like music with meaningful lyrics, I just have to be in the mood for it. Usually just like to tap my foot to a nice melody without any thought.

Also its far easier to understand lyrics with earphones. Shouldn't that be obvious?

7. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    *lurks*:blobninja:

Shizukani likes this.
  8. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
  9. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I listen to songs, they have to have a melody to them, so I generally don't listen to rap. I am that person who listens to no-rap edits of songs on Youtube. For some songs, I barely remember the lyrics at all but clearly remember the melody. For most though, I can remember both, and the general vibe of the song. Generally, I won't be remembering just lyrics with no melody.
    I actually only started proactively listening to songs with lyrics over quarantine; before that, if I wanted to listen to music I'd just go with instrumental, or an instrumental cover of a lyric song (which I still do a lot when I don't like the lyrics).

I guess there are some songs where the lyrics are kind of tied to melody, so when I hear that note sequence I'll think of those words...like "let it go" or "despacito", or, after you've listened to The Muffin Song (which is forever stuck in my head now), "die, die, die"
    Well, there's a variety of other songs, that have lyrics ingrained in my head...like "It's Raining Tacos".
    There are some that have lyrics that do contribute a lot to the meaning of the song, too, but I generally listen to them less, I suppose.

And then there are songs where the singer just can't pronounce clearly, or songs in other languages. Then I just kind of treat the vocals as an instrument, part of the melody or beat.

Shizukani likes this.
  10. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Both. Each has its own charm. However, I like it a lot when the melody doesn't overpower the voice unless ofc I just want da beats
    2. Nope,that still depends on the song
    3. I like songs in different languages but only because I could finally treat the human voice as another musical instrument. So I actually listen to the song instead of trying to figure out what the song wants to convey through its words
    4. Mostly not. I used to listen to music while traveling with earphones, it's nice yes but it sound too close. That's when i discovered the joy of listening to music in a quiet room with a decent speaker. The song resonate with you in ways earphones/headphones never could.
    most of these I like listening when it's quiet

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Shizukani likes this.
  11. Zissel

Zissel Blue Blue Gold❣❣

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on my mood nya~ When I'm too tired, I just let the music run through my ears nya~ When I'm in a good mood, I pay attention to the lyrics nya~

Raven Evernight and Shizukani like this.
  12. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly am fine with almost all types of music as long as it isn't WAP material whose lyrics are just plain vulgar and nonsensical + stereotypical trendy song formula. I listen to both the lyrics and the melody of the song itself so both is part of the emotional and physical experience musical wise.

Shizukani likes this.
  13. Aki Aki

Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki ⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Aki feels it might be generalizing it too much about the lyrics and music. It's very common for Aki to listen to lyrics even while happy. Earphones definitely help you hear the lyrics more clearly because most decent brands have some level of noise cancellation and the surround effect that you get through earphones also helps appreciate the music better.

Actually trying to understand the lyrics of songs is what made Aki initially want to learn Japanese. So in a way, the lyrics being in a different language didn't stop me from wanting to appreciate them. Although, it definitely is not possible to learn languages just for songs, sometimes even just listening to the singing voice can feel soothing even if you don't understand the lyrics.

Shizukani likes this.
  14. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I listen to both, but I like listening to songs with lyrics more. Sometimes just plain music without any words is just nice though.

Shizukani and reizleigh like this.
  15. reizleigh

reizleigh Wicked Oni

Reading List:
    Link
    I love to listen to both. Tho Sometimes I listen to music in different languages Japanese or korean I don't understand the lyrics but I appreciate and love them both. But ofc if ur sad u'll appreciate the lyrics more than the music especially if the singer has a warm voice it feels like u have been comforted.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  16. albeldayuia

albeldayuia Can't-Re Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. It's in stages, mostly when I come across a new song, whether I like it or not is from the music because I 99% listen to Japanese songs which language I don't understand. So at first I listen only for the music. Then after some time I'd get curious with the lyrics,
      :blob_plusone:
    2. For sad lyrics of course
    3. Well I don't only listen for lyrics, but I don't like listening to classical music, for some reason. It makes me feel restless somehow
    4. Yes, when I want to focus on lyrics I'd use earphones. Especially vocaloids, sometimes with speaker the vocals can be very much less distinguishable from the instruments :blobjoy:

Shizukani likes this.
  17. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the song?

Shizukani likes this.
  18. Huahua2000

Huahua2000 Average NPC on the internet

Reading List:
    Link
    I usally listen to both music and lyric but i think even without understanding the lyric you could still feel the emotion from the song. When i listen to Breathe by Lee Hi for the first time, i just cry so hard like someone dies altho i can't understand the lyric.

Shizukani likes this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    both
    music and lyric can affect this cat~
    it just matter of will the work will leave long impression or not~ pop music, edm, disco, rock for this cat only leave momentarily impression~ ballad, folk theme, classic, some religious theme, chorus such work usually leave more lasting impression for this cat~

imo music not universal, it more tied with culture and experience of each person but there hmmm note? no maybe feeling to appreciate a work~ lyric can put another layer to convey the intention, interpretation of the creator~ hence both can stand on each own also complement each other~ this cat may like the lyric but the music feel off vice versa~

20. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link

DOTTED LINES
    What is it, keeps me returning
    To questions I ask
    My paper heart has been burning
    Since you threw a match
    I can't quit a habit like you dear
    Cold, as they say
    Something about how you live here
    I wanna live that way
    But I don't wanna take something